The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

Now that you are here, Thor, apparently Jarre uses Dune 2 (see laptop) and ... A vintage Fairlight sampler (see monochrome monitor a la Alien)!

81U41QYGXjL_zpsy2kvnfj7.jpg

He also likes tape ...

Well, he basically likes to use everything electronic from the dawn of the technology to present times, including the theremin, so I'm not surprised! Check out this tour of his vintage equipment:

Okay, besides being played in a different room, I can hardly hear any difference between real and sampled. Maybe I should give up using a keyboard and switch over to the Akai EWI?

Here's the EWI playing the Bansuri:

What?! 700 Euro for the EWI? And 200 Euro for them ethnic flute sounds?! Eh ..

I've tried using this for brass and woodwinds but I already have a technique down using just a keyboard and mod wheel, so I never took it any further.

What do you use all this stuff for, Alex? Just a hobbyist? Do you record anything?

What do you use all this stuff for, Alex? Just a hobbyist? Do you record anything?

I used to make music for a library label but since the death of the founder they stopped all music production activities.

It's a Belgium label called Watermusic founded by a guy from Friesland. It was probably the only production music label in the Benelux. It was a great time. I should load up some of my old stuff (the tracks I deem still passable) on soundcloud or something. Most of it is made with pre computer samplers and synths. I was using more sampled instrument sounds than typical synthesizer sounds though. I still see some money of the CDs I've made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the way they used to record things ...

Dan Lacksman, is a Belgian composer and sound engineer, artist and member of Telex, director of numerous acoustic albums, pop or jazz. He released the album Electric Dreams, on 17 May 2013.

When electronic scores were good:

Sorry for the poor audio quality but it's the only youtube version I could find. I'm listening to the new release (?) on Spotify.

No, I don't believe you're really interested. More theatrics. If you were curious, you could easily find out for yourself.

I'm also not into discussing "why" I like something. I don't really do amateurish discussions about my experiences with art. It is enough for me to say "this works for me" or "this doesn't work for me." It's wonderful when people enjoy doing that, and I like to read it. But it's not how I operate. It cheapens things for me.

I, the creator of The Amazing Electronic Music Thread, is not interested in electronic scores? I'm the only one here who reacts positive to the present renaissance of synth scores.

Back to electronic music!

Yeah, that's more like it! ;)

Great. Known it for years but never knew 'who' did it...........until now!

I remember it from VHS early Jackie Chan movies.

If memory serves, it was used in Snake in Eagle's shadow.

Yep, just looked..............

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I had posted some thoughts with the above video, but I guess I was hallucinating.  Anyway, I wanted to mention how much of Eno's work, due to his whole aesthetic approach and goals, can be seen as emotionally ambiguous or totally neutral.  Yet listen to how deeply moving this piece is!  Rather Copland-esque in its sense of noble solemnity and hopeful bittersweetness (Eno music that may shockingly appeal to Williams hard-liners?).  Such moments when he lets in some real pathos to his music are really special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I didn't see that coming..............

French electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre and NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden have collaborated on a track called Exit, which will appear on Jarre’s forthcoming album, Electronica Volume II: The Heart of Noise. The collaboration came about after Jarre gave an interview to the Guardian last year and asked if he could be put in touch with Snowden

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/apr/15/jean-michel-jarre-and-edward-snowden-collaborate-on-new-song-exit-video  (video article)

On a total side note, it is great to see Jean Michel no longer trying to cover up his age. He looks so much 'better' for it (imo).

Cool. I've known about several of the artists on the ELECTRONICA 2 album for a while, but I didn't know about the collaboration with Snowden. Intriguing!

7 hours ago, Melange said:

Well I didn't see that coming..............

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2016/apr/15/jean-michel-jarre-and-edward-snowden-collaborate-on-new-song-exit-video  (video article)

On a total side note, it is great to see Jean Michel no longer trying to cover up his age. He looks so much 'better' for it (imo).

The only "Exit" I know, is the rather splendid album by Tangerine Dream.

JMJ also has a collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys, on the upcoming "Electronica 2".

4 hours ago, Richard said:

JMJ also has a collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys, on the upcoming "Electronica 2".

Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat? :)

"I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing'" said JMJ, "but then again I am Shameless", he added.

Asked as to what inspired the collaboration, JMJ commented - "Well, it may be perceived as Being Boring but one of the first down to earth reasons was that like many people I had to pay the Rent. One day I also sat down and thought to myself , Jean, you go to work and take your calls, hang the fruits of your labour on the walls. Such precision and care. What does it matter if there's no one here to share? Admittedly, it was Always on my Mind to embark on such a collaboration but it was foremost in my mind that it was a risky endeavour. I mean, a man could get arrested. Enough years have gone by for me now to recognise that life is much more simple when you're young , but it is still possible to revive the old spirit. So, picking up the phone I enthusiastically called up Neil and Chris and said - "I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!"

Jarre's ELECTRONICA project is one of the most exciting projects in electronica in years, and I can't wait to hear all the collaborations on volume 2.

On 15 April 2016 at 9:56 PM, Melange said:

Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat? :)

"I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing'" said JMJ, "but then again I am Shameless", he added.

Asked as to what inspired the collaboration, JMJ commented - "Well, it may be perceived as Being Boring but one of the first down to earth reasons was that like many people I had to pay the Rent. One day I also sat down and thought to myself , Jean, you go to work and take your calls, hang the fruits of your labour on the walls. Such precision and care. What does it matter if there's no one here to share? Admittedly, it was Always on my Mind to embark on such a collaboration but it was foremost in my mind that it was a risky endeavour. I mean, a man could get arrested. Enough years have gone by for me now to recognise that life is much more simple when you're young , but it is still possible to revive the old spirit. So, picking up the phone I enthusiastically called up Neil and Chris and said - "I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!"

Fantastic, Melange! Absolutely fantastic!!!

a man could get arrested, eh? Wow, that's deep. Are you sure that you not just being jack the lad? Because if you are, you know where went wrong.

18 hours ago, Richard said:

Are you sure that you not just being jack the lad? Because if you are, you know where went wrong.

That's certainly a different point of View  Ricard. I believe in doing what I can, in crying when I must, in laughing when I choose.

It has been noticed that some folks believe I'm Losing my Mind, but it is a metamorphosis more than anything else, in the sense that with time and age I had to change 'cause my behaviour was getting strange. People on the street caught my eye and I began to think I might be their kind of guy. Seeing that I was Up against It, it was time to move to a new phase of interaction and It must be obvious now, hence the Jack the Lad comment. 

I sometimes think that I'm too many people too many people, too many people at once and Left to my own Devices, I probably would have become them all but the last thing I wanted to do was to sneer or disappear behind a veneer of self-control, so for all of those who don't fit it who follow their instincts and are told they sin this is a prayer for a different way.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2016 at 4:57 PM, Thor said:

Jarre's ELECTRONICA project is one of the most exciting projects in electronica in years, and I can't wait to hear all the collaborations on volume 2.

I saw a photoshop recently of a poster from The Expendables with all the faces replaced with Jarre and his collaborators.  Hans looked particularly amusing.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Melange said:

That's certainly a different point of View  Ricard. I believe in doing what I can, in crying when I must, in laughing when I choose.

It has been noticed that some folks believe I'm Losing my Mind, but it is a metamorphosis more than anything else, in the sense that with time and age I had to change 'cause my behaviour was getting strange. People on the street caught my eye and I began to think I might be their kind of guy. Seeing that I was Up against It, it was time to move to a new phase of interaction and It must be obvious now, hence the Jack the Lad comment. 

I sometimes think that I'm too many people too many people, too many people at once and Left to my own Devices, I probably would have become them all but the last thing I wanted to do was to sneer or disappear behind a veneer of self-control, so for all of those who don't fit it who follow their instincts and are told they sin this is a prayer for a different way.

Brilliant, Melange, brilliant! We are just two men on the street, drinking something cheap.

14 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I saw a photoshop recently of a poster from The Expendables with all the faces replaced with Jarre and his collaborators.  Hans looked particularly amusing.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, Thor said:

Agreed. It's much better than TEO AND TEA, but, then again, it couldn't get much worse!

Are there any Tangerine Dream fans, out there? I only mention it, because, I found my lost copy of LE PARC, yesterday, and stuck it on. Oh, dear. YELLOWSTONE PARK is the sort of track that makes you grateful for the gift of hearing, let alone the ability to appreciate good music! Claire Torry is phenomenal, on this track. The whole album is. IMO, right up there with EXIT, TANGRAM, and LOGOS, as some of the Dream's finest work.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not listening to any soundtracks today because the new Avalanches album is finally out today!  I will be listening to this over and over all day!  I love it after the first playthrough.  Really fun.

It doesn't appear to be on Spotify for some reason but it is on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/music/m/Bogj5o4cafercr35nyrkt2owj2y?t=Wildflower_-_The_Avalanches

And this is the great first single from the album: