The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

Yeah, they did have all the gear.

BTW, I liked Tangram but I understand TD fans deemed it too commercial .... Ah well, ...

Tangram_(album).png

I actually prefer their 80s efforts over their 70s efforts (although I like that too for slightly different reasons).

I'm more a fan of their 70s stuff, but love their 80s music too. My favourite albums by TD are Zeit, Rubycon, Force Majeure, White Eagle, and Poland. Quite an eclectic bunch! I got to see then live in Sheffield UK back in 1990. The line up was Edgar and Jerome Froese, and Paul Haslinger. Great stuff!

• 5 weeks later...

Jarre-ites may be interested in this. I was clearing cupboards (when will it ever end?) today and stumbled across this.............

I purchased this VCD in Iran, 9 years ago............

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Going by the other discs in their catalogue shown in the inner, they were aiming at a specific market of listeners.

Would you believe, I still haven't watched it, and for all I know it may be a broadcast by a Mullah on conservative family values.

I've also just noticed now that the track list in English seems to be for something else entirely.

Yes, I looked at the time in the shop for any John Williams / Jerry Goldsmith / Horner discs, but alas...........

Because no Williams material was in the shop, clearly Iran is in the dark ages and needs to be sanctioned until it receives the Maestro. :P

That's a good concert film, Melange. As a JMJ completist, I obviously have it -- not the Iranian edition, of course (is yours legit?), but the original Image DVD.

If memory serves, it also includes the excellent documentary "Making a Steamroller Fly" which was only available on this release.

By the way, did you go to Iran? I was in United Arab Emirates a few years back, and we considered going over "the pond", but too much hassle, and people warned us not to (for obvious reasons). In fact, we weren't even allowed into Oman when we drove up to the border.

6 hours ago, Melange said:

Yes, I looked at the time in the shop for any John Williams / Jerry Goldsmith / Horner discs, but alas...........

Because no Williams material was in the shop, clearly Iran is in the dark ages and needs to be sanctioned until it receives the Maestro. :P

John Williams used to be very popular in Iran, but a fatwa was issued against him in 2005 when it came to the attention of Tehran that he had scored a movie called Mammaries of a Gay Shah.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

As a JMJ completist, I obviously have it -- not the Iranian edition, of course (is yours legit?)

As legit as can be, I think. Being VCD, these are probably knocked up in a factory somewhere in Tehran but it was in a proper music shop and the VCD has a sticky seal on the edge. I must put it on at some point to see if even works.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

By the way, did you go to Iran? I was in United Arab Emirates a few years back, and we considered going over "the pond", but too much hassle, and people warned us not to (for obvious reasons). In fact, we weren't even allowed into Oman when we drove up to the border.

Yeah, I entered through the land border at Doğubeyazıt in Eastern Turkey, and was initially in places like Tabriz and Ardabil fully independently.

Prior to that, the process of getting a visa in London (yep, that famous SAS Iranian Embassy building) was one that took a few weeks while my visa application was then sent off to that shadowy 'Ministry of the interior' in Tehran first, who check everyone out thoroughly. With a UK passport, gettting any kind of access was better than nothing and they ultimately granted me a 50/50 arrangement which was that I could initially enter the country fully independently, move around like that for a week or so but then had to ensure I showed up in Tehran on a specific date to meet and begin an arrangement they'd made as part of the visa issuing conditions, which meant about seven days of staying in mid range hotels, meeting up with official guides in reception on appointed days and taking a couple of internal flights.

During that stage of things I visited sites in Tehran, Esfahan and Shiraz within this framework while staying in quite nice mid range hotels.

I call this a framework but even then, once the half day's sightseeing was over I was allowed to go wherever I wanted in town and meet whoever I wanted. More than anything else, it was more about making everybody happy whereby various local businesses got a slice of the pie from a foreign visitor, and also meant that showing up in Tehran on an appointed date made them more comfortable that they had some idea of where I was at some point during my time within the country.

Prior to that week, I'd been staying in the cheap and basic Mosaferkhaneh (if I remember the names of them correctly) flop houses on main routes in western Iran which travelling soldiers and others use, a 3-4 bed dorm format, and after fulfilling that middle week I was then allowed to head off fully independently once again within the country and reverted to that, travelling further east to places like Kerman and Yazd, ultimately exiting the country through the same north western border overland, later.

Brits and Americans have the hardest time getting in ordinarily due to political history, and at the time (it is probably the same today) U.S citizens were all required to enter, travel and leave entirely within the framework of a strict guided tour only, so the arrangement that I got was a good one overall, considering. 50/50, I'm happy with that, especially as in the late 90s I had tried to apply for a visa and enter Iran while in Pakistan and was finding the process such a hassle that I changed my mind entirely and went into China through the Karakorum highway instead.

I'm surprised you weren't allowed to enter Oman from the UAE though. I was in Oman for a month at one stage, and nearly crossed over the border to the UAE with a land cruiser, being told it was common to move back and forth. The only reason I didn't was because the Omani visa was single entry, and visiting the UAE for a few days and then coming back to Oman was shooting myself in the foot by having to buy a completely new Omani visa all over again at the border. Secondly, crossing over with a rental vehicle got into some question marks about insurance so it was best not to complicate matters by crossing over.  If you ever get the chance, Oman is superb. Very expensive, but I had a friend living there which helped tremendously. The al Hajar mountains and Wadis like Wadi Tiwi, are great.

What passport do you have, btw? I'm not sure you could have crossed the pond into Iran from the UAE ordinarily, but I may be wrong.

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

John Williams used to be very popular in Iran, but a fatwa was issued against him in 2005 when it came to the attention of Tehran that he had scored a movie called Mammaries of a Gay Shah.

:lol:

Thanks for relating the travel stories, Melange. There was a documentary series a few years back called "Travelling along the Evil Axis" or something; which related how it was to be a tourist in those countries. A lot of what you describe seems similar to friends of mine who have been to North Korea (perhaps a bit more relaxed in Iran, though).

I had a regular Norwegian passport, so I'm not sure if that would have been sufficient for ferry transport across to Iran (it's not very far, though, we were told we could see across from the top of the Burj in Dubai, but we never went up).

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I had a regular Norwegian passport, so I'm not sure if that would have been sufficient for ferry transport across to Iran (it's not very far, though, we were told we could see across from the top of the Burj in Dubai, but we never went up).

I'm only guessing, as I didn't think the southern route is a common entrance for anything but tankers and such things but I may be wrong.

One thing I'm fairly sure of though is that the visa would unlikely have been a short process to arrange. 3-4 weeks seems to be the norm while they run everyone through their database in Iran (the process itself taking no time, but the pace of things taking the time), but then I have heard people picking one up relatively quickly in Istanbul. I'm not sure it applied to UK passport holders though, who at the time had to apply in their own country if I remember correctly. Norwegians may have had an easier process though, as there just isn't that historical suspicion / tension there.

What indications were you hearing of in the UAE about the visa side of things?

About the Axis thing, North Korea is one of the 'axis' places I've not been to but I assume that every movement, accomodation and meetings with people are extremely controlled from the start to the finish of the visit? In Iran, I was staying in people's family homes (after invites) across the breadth of the country (forgot to mention that, alongside the flop houses), which I doubt they would allow to take place during visits in North Korea.

On the other hand, it also had to be taken into account how truly 'random' some meetings with people might be (particularly at the start, after crossing over) when controversial subjects of political discussion would surface (as they always did) behind closed doors and when people's guard was down after things like home made beer (yes, truly) surfaced, as that was a trap which was often played on travellers in countries like Mynamar or China, to snare foreign political activists posing as tourists. In most cases I think it was random meetings, but a few times I had to watch not to allow myself to latch onto things brought up by people, especially when encountering young activists. Using a default 'listen' position only, with a neutral / curious slant in the speech was always the way to go, instead of overtly agreeing with any position that came up, for or against things. 

It was made all the easier given that I really didn't have a stance either way and was genuinally curious to hear anything and did hear different viewpoints from different kinds of people. Like many of the countries in the region and worldwide, a major split of political leaning evident between younglings and elders, and between the poorer sections of society and the ones who are doing well from the whole system. Same old same old.

7 hours ago, Melange said:

What indications were you hearing of in the UAE about the visa side of things?

We didn't quite get that far (i.e. to actually check out the procedures). We were just flirting with the idea, because we were so fed up by Dubai (not one of my favourite destinations) and wanted to try something new while we were in the proximity. Instead, we rented a car and drove around the countryside -- not terribly exciting either -- and ended up by the Oman border in the North. We asked if it was possible to enter, but the border patrol guy just shook his head, and asked us to return. Didn't even ask for papers. Perhaps he saw that we were tourists, that we had a rental and that we hadn't really prepared for a visit to their country, so he just dismissed us.

Yes, from your description, it sounds like a far easier time in Iran than North Korea (where you are almost always monitored by a guide).

I've never really been to an Axis country (that I can think of), but I've been to somewhat scary places -- like the favela in Rio de Janeiro, some back streets of Dar-Es-Salaam (in Tanzania) and a few odd places here and there that are otherwise within safe tourist destinations (at least at the time).

In trying to make a smooth transition to electronic music again, it's worth mentioning that Jean Michel Jarre was the first western musician to hold a concert in the republic of China back in 1981. He should consider trying his hands on Iran next! Or North Korea! That would have been something.... :)

9 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Your tales of travel are fine reads.  

Many thanks.

It can easily end up in overly long  - "Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes" ramblings though :P

2 hours ago, Thor said:

We didn't quite get that far (i.e. to actually check out the procedures)....................

Yeah I can imagine the UAE getting a bit 'samey' after a while given the terrain. In terms of topography it starts to get far more varied and interesting in the Southern Peninsula for sure, with its jagged mountains, terraced agriculture on canyon slopes, old forts, lush fertile wadis and the sweeping eastern coast. Oman has a canyon approaching the depths of the grand canyon.

It is possible that refusal to allow you in may have been as simple as something indicated on your rental number plates or rental blaze, determining whether certain rental companies allow theirs to be brought across or not as usually the visa process is one you can get on arrival. I can recommend a seperate journey to Oman though. It isn't commonly travelled around, outside of expats there. Omanis tend to stay inside.

Brazil and Tanzania sound interesting. Latin American travel always brings that extra factor of having to think about security far more though, unfortunately. Back to Jarre, yeah I read something yesterday before putting that scan up of the VCD, that in 2014 Jarre indicated going to Iran, but this time other western musicians have already been unlike his 1981 China Concerts (still my favourite Jarre video in many respects due to the graphics and clever story telling mixed in with the music)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't post that video to generate a discussion about the music in the show; Rather, it's a video where guy talks about creating that 80s synth sound many of you here like, and I figured you'd enjoy that aspect of it.

Holy cow! Look at the price!

https://www.amazon.de/See-You-Later-Vangelis-2004-07-20/dp/B01A9KL5RM/ref=sr_1_5_twi_aud_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1473237020&sr=1-5&keywords=vangelis+see+you+later

41URtc7RYBL.jpg

Guess what? I just bought the CD for 12 Euro! 

I think congratulations are in order!

Alex

The CD has been rare for a really long time now. It was never reissued. I had the album on vinyl and I didn't really like the album enough to buy the CD at the time. I now corrected that ... for 12 Euro!

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Holy cow! Look at the price!

https://www.amazon.de/See-You-Later-Vangelis-2004-07-20/dp/B01A9KL5RM/ref=sr_1_5_twi_aud_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1473237020&sr=1-5&keywords=vangelis+see+you+later

41URtc7RYBL.jpg

Guess what? I just bought the CD for 12 Euro! 

I think congratulations are in order!

Alex

€12? Fuck you, Alex! I've been after this CD for ever, and just casually announce that you picked it up for €12? Fuck!

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The CD has been rare for a really long time now. It was never reissued. I had the album on vinyl and I didn't really like the album enough to buy the CD at the time. I now corrected that ... for 12 Euro!

Again with the €12! Shut the fuck up about the €12, will ya?!

love this CD. I always have.

Hehehehehe ...

I just went to Amazon Deutschland (you know, ze Germans have always loved a synth or two), saw all these ridiculous prices, and then suddenly my eye fell on this one used CD in good shape for 12 Euro. It was the only used one available. I couldn't believe it! In fact, I didn't expect they were going to send me the actual original CD but rather a CD-R or the LP. That's how rare it is! Better believe it, Richard, it arrived a few days later in a yellow envelope and it's the real thing. For only 12 Euro! 

Years passing by
VCO
VCA
And again
And again
Years passing by
Let her go
Let her stay 
In the memory's place
For only 12 Euro

Alex

WILL...YOU...ALL...JUST...STOP...GOING...ON...ABOUT...THE...TWELVE...

FUCKING...EURO!!!!!!

Makes me sick!!! :kaboom:

In all honesty, well done. Its my second fave Vangelis album. Do I really need to tell what's my first  (no, it's not BEAUBOURG)?

17 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Thanks, Steef!

Years later you will go through your CD collection, looking for something that fits your mood, you'll come across that CD and instantly remember: "That's the one I bought for just €12!" And give it a nice listen.

22 hours ago, Richard said:

Och, yet dolt! It's BLADE RUNNER, innit?

But does that mean you have the 30th Anniversary 3-CD album or are you one of those fans that swear by the New American Orchestra version?

I only have the original Atlantic album and am perfectly satisfied with that, dialogue or no dialogue. That being said, I'm very interested in acquiring the 3CD set, because that also seems tailored for listening, what with the 'inspired by' album and all that. It's not a typical C&C, thank God.