The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sounds like basic tribal beats, used in several of those 'exotica' albums in the 60s, but also the kind they would later employ (in a far more hardhitting way) with psytrance and goa two decades later.

Listen to the natural evolvement of the tribal patterns. That's some incredible programming, Thor, especially for that time, because usually 'sequencing' is pretty static. Either it's the Groove System machine making it possible or somebody really knew her stuff. I admit, I admire it from a technical point of view, but I also think it would make a fine piece to use in a movie (think The Conspirators).

Alex

So I recently stumbled onto this piece, and I found it fascinating:

Will be checking the rest of the album out. Anyone else familiar with this John Farah fellow?

Been listening to a lot of vaporwave recently. I know this album is kind of a cliche for the genre, but it was actually really good. Track five, 地理, (17:23) was probably the highlight for me. I think it's interesting what the composer does when he samples something from the 80's, but makes something totally new with it. Pretty clever.

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Been listening to a lot of vaporwave recently. I know this album is kind of a cliche for the genre, but it was actually really good. Track five, 地理, (17:23) was probably the highlight for me. I think it's interesting what the composer does when he samples something from the 80's, but makes something totally new with it. Pretty clever.

I've long been a fan of "Far Side Virtual" by James Ferraro, another cornerstone of the subgenre.

EDIT:

Oh boy, I hadn't heard Ferraro's newest, "Human Story 3," yet.  It's kind of incredible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2017 at 7:28 AM, Alexcremers said:

That dialogue bit (7:14) is from The Sheltering Sky, I think.

It is, and that's Paul Bowles reading it.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

A large part of the electronic music world mourns ...

Robert Miles, 47 years old. R.I.P.

Gosh. I remember when this was #1 in the UK.

R.I.P.

On 10/05/2017 at 11:49 PM, Blumenkohl said:

Warning cartoon boobies in the album cover. Good album...

Reveal hidden contents

Blume, you're warning us about breasts?! You should be signposting them!

Well, all other Vangelis' CDs bow at the altar of BLADE RUNNER, but my second favourite is SEE YOU LATER.

I also like THE BOUNTY, THE CITY, MASK, DIRECT, CHINA, ALBEDO 0.39, SPIRAL, and HEAVEN AND HELL. The jury's out on BEAUBOURG :lol:. I wish there was a proper release of MISSING, and  complete COF (the "training" music is great).

I'm also

partial to your abracadabra SHORT STORIES, PRIVATE COLLECTION, and, especially THE FRIENDS OF MR CAIRO (THE MAYFLOWER is...wow!).

that's enough to be going on with.

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

The jury's out on BEAUBOURG :lol:

I guess you're more of an Invisible Connections guy, right? :lol:

InvisibleConnectionsFrontB.jpg

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Deutsche Grammophon"? Er...

Being on the DG label is quite and achievement. He's probably the only non-classical composer who can say that.

• 1 month later...

It is indeed kinda boring, Richard. I mean, Junkie couldn't even show his biggest Yamaha synths because they are being repaired by the synth doctor! Vintage gear!  It's a hassle!

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No reaction on Junkie and his synths? No even from Thor? No even a "boring" from Drax?

Yeah, pretty cool. I'm not that big of a tech head, but I'm obviously familiar with the most famous ones.

He did mention Blade Runner and Vangelis. A bit later, he played the bass of End Titles of Blade Runner. Is Junkie a fan? 

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

He did mention Blade Runner and Vangelis. A bit later, he played the bass of End Titles of Blade Runner. Is Junkie a fan? 

Who isn't?

There's a bit of Vangelis in his brilliant score for DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS.

Junkie must be disappointed that Villeneuve didn't ask him for 2049! He surely has the gear for it. Even Vangelis never had that much synths.

Absolutely love the brief soundscape for the opening scroll. A big part is a filtered ring modulated ostinato, but there's other stuff taking place. Some Shepard tone-like ribbon glisses (with ring mod) and wind chimes (?) with digital delay? It's hard to make out.

And what about that DU-DUM kick right at the start? Just enveloped white noise with a short delay and spring reverb? There's a similar patch in Goldenthal's Alien 3.

I believe those are singing bowls.  When I was at The Looking Glass in the mid 2000s, myself and several others made a modest singing bowl VI inspired by this very piece (which is utterly sublime, I might add).

On 9-7-2017 at 0:42 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Tomita is one of the key sounds of Cosmos, along with Vangelis.  Great stuff!

My mother used to have every Tomita album on vinyl. She preferred Jon & Vangelis over Vangelis' solo work. However, she loved Vangelis' Odes album.

OdesFrontB.jpg