The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

2 hours ago, Richard said:

... you just can't compare an electric grand, to the fabulous Fender Rhodes. 

Why not? They are both real, expressive instruments meant to emulate a portable piano. The Rhodes sounds more 70s, the CP-70/80 more 80s, but both have a unique and inspiring sound. I guess you're not a fan of The Friends Of Mr. Cairo, right? Or Patrick Moraz? Are you sure that you are a progger, Richard?!

How about A Curious Feeling?

Yanni's Live at the Acropolis from 1994 (recorded at the Acropolis of Athens in September 1993 together with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) has some pretty cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HBC6yD1TI&list=PLJNvpowy8MPmMe5Zkqk73gHFXhXuhS6ZM

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why not? They are both real, expressive instruments meant to emulate a portable piano. The Rhodes sounds more 70s, the CP-70/80 more 80s, but both have a unique and inspiring sound. I guess you're not a fan of The Friends Of Mr. Cairo, right? Or Patrick Moraz? Are you sure that you are a progger, Richard?!

How about A Curious Feeling?

Not a progger? Not a progger?!

Of course I am! I love Moraz, and RELAYER is in my top-5 Yes. I also love OUT IN THE SUN, and I.

As for TB, I own most of his solo output, including the two-disc sets of both A CURIOUS FEELING, and THE FUGITIVE (THIRTY-THREES is great), STILL, his two classical records, and the A CHORD TOO FAR anthology. 

I just don't like the sound of a Yamaha electric grand..."that's all" :)

Did you know that FROM THE UNDERTOW, was going to be included on ...AND THEN THERE WERE THREE...?

Ps, I bought the Vangelis box back in January, so, yes I do like THE FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO, but I prefer the original running order without I'LL FIND MY WAY HOME.

THE MAYFLOWER is cosmic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey y'all, I'm back, and storming through threads that may or may not benefit from my presence! Happy to see some love for Ryuichi Sakamoto! He's one of my favorites, and a big influence of mine. I know someone's posted a track from his latest album a while ago, but has anyone listened to some of the other tracks? Check this out: 

My heart becomes a melty chocolate chip when I hear this :wub:

What are some of your favorite works from him? (A question for Cremers?)

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What are some of your favorite works from him? (A question for Cremers?)

The classic scores, I'm afraid:

- The Last Emperor

- The Sheltering Sky

- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Singular tracks:

- Bibo no Aozora

- Seven Samurai

I'm not a huge fan of his modern ambient albums, nor of his older poppy work.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

新しい日の誕生 by 2814

I'm a bit late on discovering this album, but it's incredible. The presentation is breathtakingly evocative. It's very cinematic in a way. Each track gives you visions of a cyberpunk dreamscape. It's a great album for falling asleep to. Heavily recommended.

• 2 months later...

:o :) :thumbup:

"Great", indeed!

A Synergy fan!!!!! Woah!!!!!

SEQUENCER is my favourite Synergy/Fast record, and SEQUENCE 14, my all-time favourite track by him.

I first heard SEQUENCE 14 at a Laserium concert, at the London Planetarium. One listen, and I was hooked. That was 40 years ago...

Oh, yes, I saw him play alongside Peter Gabriel on the SECURITY tour.

AUDION is the one that's really grown on me, over the years. 

@Sharky any love for ELECTRONIC REALIZATIONS...,  and METROPOLITAN SUITE?

23 hours ago, Richard said:

:o :) :thumbup:

"Great", indeed!

A Synergy fan!!!!! Woah!!!!!

We're a very raare brweed... sooooon to be maaaade.... ex-TINCT!

Oh, yes, I saw him play alongside Peter Gabriel on the SECURITY tour.

Wow, you saw the Security tour LIVE??? My God.

Melt and Security were my gateways to Larry Fast's music. I feel helped distilled Berlin electronica into something urgent and raw, paving the way for artists like Numan, Sakamoto, Clarke etc.

AUDION is the one that's really grown on me, over the years. 

@Sharky any love for ELECTRONIC REALIZATIONS...,  and METROPOLITAN SUITE?

tumblr_ont1plWcEK1tupo5so1_500.gif

What about Tomita?

21 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So, any of you old fogies into anything from the 21st century? ;)

Yes! But not really the commercial stuff like Kygo or Avicii (RIP!). I'm a huge fan of psytrance and goa (both the first and second wave), for example. First wave was the 90s, seond wave the 2000s. 2010s, I'm more sketchy. But I do love the new "trend" of contemporary electronica artists channeling the sounds of the 80s and 90s, combining and sometimes "beefing" up those soundscapes. Like Waveshaper, Robert Parker, Daniel Deluxe, Rob Simonsen etc.

Many of my favourites started in the 90s, but then did much of their best stuff in the 2000s. Some of these favourites include Juno Reactor (God 1), Paul Oakenfold (God 2), M83, Underworld, Infected Mushroom, Filteria, Paul van Dyk, Man With No Name, The Infinity Project, Astral Projection, Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Future Sonud of London, Johnny Jewel etc etc.

Not bad for a 40-year-old! But obviously, the electronica passion was triggered with many of the 'old fogies' (Jarre, Vangelis, Kraftwerk, TD etc.), so those things are still part of my musical DNA.

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So, any of you old fogies into anything from the 21st century? ;)

I'm actually 26, but I get your point. :P

The 21st century electronic music I listen to tends toward the danceable/fuckable variety, rather than the ambient/downtempo music featured so prominently in this thread. Producers like Olivier Giacomotto, John Acquaviva, Kiko, David Amo, Jullio Navas, Crabiza, Format B, DJ Dan, Cristoph, Kinky Movement, Pirupa, Robert Babicz... Techno and tech-house essentially.

I thought of starting a new thread for electronic dance music, but then I realized it would probably just be me and Thor...

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Any love for Kitaro? Klaus Schulze? Peter Baumann? A solo Edgar Froese?

I don't know Kitaro but yeah I like the solo work of the original TG crew.

38 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I thought of starting a new thread for electronic dance music, but then I realized it would probably just be me and Thor...

I'm game!

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm game!

I'll start it up this evening when I'm back from the gym.

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Modern dance or older stuff? Trance etc?

Unlike Thor I'm not so crazy about Goa/Trance and 'intelligent dance music' (how I hate that word) acts like FSOL, but I hope to include music from the earliest days of electronic dance, spanning from its emergence in the 80s (New York electro-funk, Detroit techno, Chicago house) to its present day incarnations.

When it comes to dance stuff, I tend to be pretty conservative...in fact, I don't think most of it would classify as electronic per se... as far as EDM I like Deadmau5, how bland is that? :lol:

When it comes to non-dance stuff from the 2000's, honestly I think video games are some of the best sources from that, with composers like Akira Yamaoka, Shoji Meguro, and Ryota Kozuka (I'll post links later).

9 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I'll start it up this evening when I'm back from the gym.

Unlike Thor I'm not so crazy about Goa/Trance and IDM acts like FSOL, but I hope to include music from the earliest days of dance music, spanning from its emergence in the 80s (New York electro-funk, Detroit techno, Chicago house) to its present day incarnations.

Cool, I was big into all that back in the day. My all time fave club tune is Energy 52's Cafe del Mar though.

@Steve McQueen, I though I'd reply to your query about my profile, and this seems the best thread to do it.

"The Analog Kid" is the title of a song by Rush, and my avatar is an album, by the same band. I like Rush :)

TAK has a double-meaning, however, as I'm one of the older JWfaners, and am a "digital migrant".

• 3 weeks later...

My mother was a superfan of Tomita. She had all his albums on vinyl. And even though I thought what he did was often very impressive, I was always more drawn to synth people who made their own compositions.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably for an audience of none, but if anyone needs a mental break to re-center or whatever, I cannot recommend this extraordinary video highly enough.

This is Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto live in performance on a rainy afternoon at the famous Glass House.

Seeing these masters of ambient exploratory music in this beautiful rural setting, watching them manipulate physical objects to get the sounds they sample and distort and loop, it's so deeply satisfying.

About 16 or 17 minutes in, Sakamoto begins to PLAY THE WALLS OF THE GLASS HOUSE AS A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT.  As a performance piece, as a short film, this is one of the best things I've seen in a while.

Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto site specific performance at the Glass House from The Glass House on Vimeo.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Of the collaborations Sakamoto's done with "ambient" musicians over the last decade or so, his work with Noto is definitely my favorite!

And fun trivia, the great track "walker" on Sakamoto's wonderful album async is based around a field recording of him walking the grounds of the Glass House.  He clearly found the house and the property very creatively inspiring.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

And fun trivia, the great track "walker" on Sakamoto's wonderful album async is based around a field recording of him walking the grounds of the Glass House.  He clearly house and the property very creatively inspiring.

Sakamoto does great stuff with field recordings: I can't look right now, but there's a great documentary from a few years ago where it shows his process with the recording for an album.

My favorite Sakamoto album ever is Chasm.

Speaking of Sakamoto, have you seen the CODA documentary from last year? It's my second favourite film of the year so far (it's a 2018 movie in Norway).

Kinda similar in tone, yes. But I've always felt that the BLADE RUNNER love theme sounds remarkably like the classic "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" in a slow version.