The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't get better than this:

This was used as the main titles to a popular Hungarian science news show (back when we had no connection to the outside so copyright was of no concern), and a whole generation or two is terrified of it.

Very strange ... doesn't feel well-structured or composed ... but I'm sure its mood brings back memories to a lot of people.

Hell no, the music was made then. THe show used it from the mid-60s all the way until it ended in the mid-90s. I never saw an episode but it's an influential show and I know about it. The comment section has quite a number of fondly nostalgic Hungarian comments.

Just saw the typo, major facepalm.

Some of my tastes and opinions could feel like I was!

Damn kids today with their fancy undecipherable social medias!

• 3 weeks later...

Having a long listening session of what seems to be some of the best electronic music of the year so far: 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, seen the INFINITY clip -- looking forward to it; love the way it meshes the slick and contemporary with the instrumentation hints of the original.

I really have no need for the PLANET JARRE compilation, as I have pretty much everything beforehand. BUT -- I have downloaded the tracks from iTunes I didn't have (like "Coachella Opening") and the new remixes (like "Zoolookologie"). 25 minutes in total.

(and thanks for posting in this thread).

By the way, check out the recent podcast with Matt Berry (of all people) interviewing Jarre about his career. Berry is quite good. Jarre is so talkative, he basically just sits back and lets him rattle on. The first episode is out now, and will probably be the most interesting to us super-fans, as it relates a few stories about his early years that might not be familiar:

Any of you familiar with Tycho?  I really love listening to their music especially when working.  It doesn't force an emotion on you, rather it works itself into the state you are currently in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEI1_oGPQr0

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qEI1_oGPQr0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My work soundtrack this afternoon.

Odd, silly (in a straight-faced way, the best kind of silly), and fun.

Hosono is such a low key powerhouse.

You ever listeneed to his Pacific album? Not electronic for the most part, but damn...

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hosono is such a low key powerhouse.

You ever listeneed to his Pacific album? Not electronic for the most part, but damn...

For many years I've been a fan of Happy End and Yellow Magic Orchestra, but I'm only just now checking out his solo albums.

I feel weird posting this in the electronic thread, but this is some of the best laid-back toe-tappin' folk-rock I've ever heard.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Can't link it right now, but he's also contributed to at least one video game score. 

He's also got a new film score out this year that I'd love to be able to hear at some point

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8075192/?ref_=nm_flmg_com_1

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The new Moog flagship:

Sounds beautiful! 

But, being a "vintage" legacy synth, and polyphonic, it's probably aaaaattttt--yep, $5000+.

http://cdm.link/2018/10/moog-one-polysynth/

I'm convinced that, beyond established musicians in the fold such as Sakamoto, no one who buys these boutique synths--the Dave Smiths of the world, if you will--is a professional musician.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm convinced that, beyond established musicians in the fold such as Sakamoto, no one who buys these boutique synths--the Dave Smiths of the world, if you will--is a professional musician.

Why? Because it's not a VSTi?

xmoog_one_polysynth_first_look.png.pages

moog-one-081018-1200x630.jpg

Maybe they still going to want one because it's a nice, impressive looking piece of furniture.

I wouldn't dump $5k on a brand new Moog - I'll keep up my search for a good condition CS80 for a reasonable price and I doubt if even that kind of rarity would push as much as they're asking for this one.  Once I have one alongside the DX7 I'll be able to sleep at night.

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

I'll keep up my search for a good condition CS80 for a reasonable price

With old vintage synthesizers, I always will be worrying too much about the maintenance. You really need a guy who lives in your neighborhood who can fix these things.

BTW, a Yamaha CS-80 in Belgium would be more expensive than a Moog One.

There's always Black Friday, folks!

38 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Why? Because it's not a VSTi?

I get in a lot of trouble with gearheads when I say this, and it might sound like I'm overgeneralizing or being ignorant, but: these boutique synths almost always sound great, have a nice intuitive interface, and have some real top people behind them. But really, is there that much difference between sound and function on something like this and other similar synths of its ilk--of which there are many? Enough difference to justify the price tag, especially given its relatively large amount of limitations in a modern (ie post 80's) music environment? How much is a musician really going to miss out on in their work if they don't use these? (Especially some of the $3000+ monosynths out there!) Is the analogue warmth, lush sound, swirling, living texture --(tell me if I missed any of the terminology)--,really worth the cost for someone who actually wants to get stuff done?

These machines feel to me like they're designed for dudes with high-paying salary jobs to fantasize about and endear themselves to their wives with ("Oh, you know Rob and his toys", said with a smile and gently shaking head), and for the few who do get them...what do they actually do with it that really makes the machine worth the price of admission?

Add all of this together, with the fact that these boutique synths seldom depreciate in any apparent manner, and hardly move units--I've lived in major metropolitan areas such as Seattle, and would see a Dave Smith instrument sit in one of the city's foremost music stores literally unclaimed for years--ya gotta ask, are these really designed for productive musicians?

Besides, as @TGP was saying, there are so many great synths of yore that are depreciating, if they have not already.

Well, I guess you need to be a true synth aficionado to appreciate real oscillators and, yes, its fans might be a dying breed. Still, analog synths, like vinyl, seem to be on the up these days. What they might lack in the 'convenience' department, they make up for with sheer quantities of 'cool'. 

Remember, back in the days, only a handful of professional artists actually bought the Yamaha CS-80 (which was also crazy expensive then).

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, I guess you need to be a true synth aficionado to appreciate real oscillators and, yes, its fans might be a dying breed. Still, analog synths, like vinyl, seem to be on the up these days.

Not my point. At all.

I know. It's just that I couldn't find myself in your vision about only non-professional rich people will be buying these. I think analog maniacs will be buying them, rich or poor, professional or not.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Besides, as @TGP was saying, there are so many great synths of yore that are depreciating, if they have not already.

https://reverb.com/item/13983104-yamaha-cs80-synth

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I know. It's just that I couldn't find myself in your vision about only non-professional rich people will be buying these. I think analog maniacs will be buying them, rich or poor, professional or not.

https://reverb.com/item/13983104-yamaha-cs80-synth

Good luck!

All you have to do is go back two years and look at the Korg Minilogue: true analogue, great interface, nice sound, polyphonic (albeit 4 voices if I remember), sturdy build, and its initial market price was $500. 

Are you going to buy the Moog One, Alex?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, Nick Parker said:

Are you going to buy the Moog One, Alex?

I have tinnitus, Nick. I need to stay away from synths as far as possible.

• 2 months later...