Alexcremers

The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

55 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, no, that's when it became bad. Really bad and lazy, right after Blade Runner and Soil Festivities, that is.

Absolute nonsense! The gorgeous OCEANIC is one of his very best albums. Unlike you, I dont' think everything needs to be gritty and cutting-edge all the time to be enjoyable, and I've never subscribed to the notion that artists "have it" for a small period of time, and then they "lose it" for good. Sometimes, good music is just good music -- regardless of when it comes in the artist's career.

He's done some fine work in the last 20 years too, though. I think his impressionistic piano album last year was absolutely brilliant -- painting in broad strokes in classical fashion.

It's a pity Vangelis didn't accept Villeneuve and Zimmer's invitation for joining the BR 2049 team. A room filled with the most delicious vintage synthesizers was waiting for him. I guess he prefers that hideous digital workstation of his:

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's a pity Vangelis didn't accept Villeneuve and Zimmer's invitation for joining the BR 2049 team.

Well, on that, we do agree. I like Zimmer and Wallfisch's score, but I'd throw it out in a New York sec if it meant getting Vangelis back on.

16 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I almost never hear mega reverb done well.

Oh, Vangelis has used it well on several albums (for instance, the film Blade Runner opens with a sampled orchestral bass drum played an octave lower and send through a very long Lexicon hall reverb, something that has been copied ever since), but to send all the original masters through a 7 seconds hall reverb is a faux pas, in my book. It's like adding CGI monsters to the original Star Wars of 1977. Imagine The Beatles remasters were treated this way! The pre-remaster CDs are the way to go.

Nemo-Sound-2c.jpg

PS: As far as I know, BR is probably the first album where Vangelis stopped using real percussion instruments in favor for sampled ones. It's something I've always regretted. Now he could play percussion while playing the keyboard, usually in a layered fashion together with his synths. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, Vangelis has used it well on several albums (for instance, the film Blade Runner opens with a sampled orchestral bass drum played an octave lower and send through a very long Lexicon hall reverb, something that has been copied ever since), but to send all the original masters through a 7 seconds hall reverb is a faux pas, in my book. It's like adding CGI monsters to the original Star Wars of 1977. Imagine The Beatles remasters were treated this way! The pre-remaster CDs are the way to go.

Nemo-Sound-2c.jpg

PS: As far as I know, BR is probably the first album where Vangelis stopped using real percussion instruments in favor for sampled ones. 

There's plenty of synthesized percussion on SEE YOU LATER.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

There's plenty of synthesized percussion on SEE YOU LATER.

And plenty of real percussion too.

Yes, other tracks on that album feature drum machines but Vangelis always used those so that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to what you see on the photo. All those instruments are replaced with samples and, more importantly, he no longer uses percussion sounds as a percussionist but rather as accents while playing sampled horns for instance. Most has to do with the fact that Vangelis no longer wants to multitrack.

Hahaha. So what's your personal verdict?

I've been exploring a forgotten piece of gear called the Roland SH-32.

25 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Been some time now since I kicked the sample library and computer habit

Also how do you feel about that? 

2 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

I'm glad to be rid of that world.  The Moog is a powerful weapon in the right hands, but how many of us have the right hands.

There's two people right there! 

Happy it's been workin' out for you, I've been in a similar place the past couple months. It's so liberating. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Fascinating how an instrument that was once described as 'cold and lifeless' could suddenly sound 'majestic and lyrical' (Vangelis) and 'alive and funky' (Funkadelic, Stevie Wonder, etc).

Absolutely. How often is it that we're relatively around to see a totally new avenue of sonic creation opened up, and see this novel instrument--and I use that word in the broadest sense-- come alive in the hands of these incredible pioneers, Vangelis, Bernie Worrell, Wendy Carlos, Tomita, Ryuichi Sakamoto, etc., creating new standards of approaching music? So different in their many ways, but all from the same, singular origin.

It's really something.