• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGreyPilgrim

The Official Sacred Music/Hymns Thread

70 posts in this topic

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind is one of my favourite hymns (I understand that it is one of Prince Charles's favourites too, respect due). My family always chooses it for weddings and funerals, as it seems equally fitting for either.

I recall hearing it at Westminster Abbey the first time I visited the UK, when I was around 19. One of those memories that won't ever fade, especially since I'm pretty sure my spirited singing secured me the favor of my future in-laws.

Another death in this part of the musical world, Sir David Willcocks has passed away at 95. He was associated with King's College at Cambridge and their legendary choir for much of his life and was generally a luminary in the field. Most notably, he leaves behind elegant, rousing arrangements of Christmas carols that are known, used, and loved all over the world. Here's one, conducted by the aforementioned late John Scott.

Anyone who wants to see the Pope's mass later today (4:15 PM EST), and any other stuff he's doing during his visit to the US, can see it here. Today's mass is sure to be musically rich, coming from the beautiful basilica in Washington DC. I have such fond memories of that place.

http://www.usccb.org/about/leadership/holy-see/francis/papal-visit-2015/papal-visit-2015-live-stream.cfm

Cool, the Philadelphia Orchestra will be preforming twice, but here is the mass concert details:

Music to be performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra at the Papal Mass:

Beethoven “Welten singen Dank und Ehre,” from Christ on the Mount of Olives

Brahms Third movement from Symphony No. 3

Mendelssohn “Verleih’ uns Frieden”

Dvořák Second movement from Symphony No. 9 (“From the New World”)

Latona “Look Up and Count the Stars”

Duruflé “Sanctus,” from Requiem

Beethoven Fourth movement from Symphony No. 7

Lam “A Gift of Love”

Parry “I Was Glad”

Stopford “The Spirit of the Lord”

Joncas “Exultate, Justi”

Chepponis Festival Alleluia

Gouin “Sound the Bell of Holy Freedom”

DeBruyn “Great Amen,” from Mass of the Resurrection

Revie “The Love of God”

Kreutz “Gift of Finest Wheat”

Jacob “I Received the Living God”

Mozart Ave verum corpus

Bach “Sheep May Safely Graze”

Chepponis “To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King”

Saint-Saëns Finale from Symphony No. 3 (“Organ”)

Saint-Saëns “Tollite hostias,” from Christmas Oratorio

Rutter “O Clap Your Hands”

Be sure to check out that streaming link above in a few minutes for vespers at St. Patrick's in NYC. Beautiful music from what I think is the most lovely church and best acoustic space in the world. Not to mention my favorite organ.

Yet another post relating to Donald Dumler, but I've been thinking about him a lot lately, and I can't begin Christmas music season without some St. Patrick's content. These midnight masses were a real staple for me, either on TV or in person depending on the year (in this case, I was there in person).

The music program there has never really, that I recall anyway, been as truly great as it could and should be, but that's nothing to do with Donald who did his part as organist brilliantly since the 70's, regardless of what the context was.

That place is one of the handful of things I miss about NYC.

I'd like to input some new variations to the thread.

Spem in Allium by Thomas Tallis need not be introduced to most, so here are some other gems.

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

16 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Huh, go figure! I've yet to have a proper European Christmas but Germany is where I'd choose. 

It was great on reflection, as children we only wanted back to watch bad movies on tv.

I only knew Patrick Gowers from his great Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes scores, but this is just sublime.

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

I haven't been to church in many years, but I was raised Baptist with a dad who was organist and choir director.  I have had this very common, popular hymn stuck in my head all day for no reason and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.  It seems so familiar that I have a feeling it's like not being able to place "Ode to Joy" or something stupid.

Can anyone help me?  I did the below transcription on a free site.  It's not exactly how it sounds, but it's a close approximation:

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 7.00.39 PM.png

What's gonna be funny is when it turns out it's not even a hymn :P 

It's "I like big butts" by the Reverend-Father Mix-A-Lot.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:14 PM, Disco Stu said:

I haven't been to church in many years, but I was raised Baptist with a dad who was organist and choir director.  I have had this very common, popular hymn stuck in my head all day for no reason and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.  It seems so familiar that I have a feeling it's like not being able to place "Ode to Joy" or something stupid.

Can anyone help me?  I did the below transcription on a free site.  It's not exactly how it sounds, but it's a close approximation:

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 7.00.39 PM.png

What's gonna be funny is when it turns out it's not even a hymn :P 

I've had several looks at this, but just can't place what it might be.  Whistle it and upload!

On 6/12/2017 at 9:42 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Hoped it'd ring a bell to justify the effort, but alas....

I remembered to ask my dad today and I finally know what the tune is!

Come, We That Love the Lord (aka We're Marching to Zion)