'Music for Brass': New Williams work for Brass Ensemble

Joe Brausam

I long for the time when recordings actually ended up on CDs.

It is way too expensive. And who doesn't love live recordings where people cough and clear their throats and make irritating noises at the most inopportune times?

I long for the time when recordings actually ended up on CDs.

It is way too expensive. And who doesn't love live recordings where people cough and clear their throats and make irritating noises at the most inopportune times?

That's part of the experience, Incanus ;).

It's one thing popular music listeners mostly don't have to deal with, except when the music isn't electronically amplified, or really soft. But then again, they have to deal with screams from teenage girls, the alluring scent of fresh perspiration (or antiperspirant, for that matter), etc.

I hope they have given him leeway to create a longer, concert-style piece, instead of just a short fanfare. But anything is better than nothing.

A non-fanfare piece would be a nice change, but I think JW's recent fanfares have been very diverse and original. Fenway, For the President's Own are both very interesting approaches IMO

Whatever it is, I just hope it's longer than 5 minutes

The vast majority of his fanfares, if not all of them, are written for a celebratory occasion. The details on this one are sketchy but it does not seem as event-driven. Given this, plus the fact that every member of the ensemble is a top person in the field, I could see Williams going for something a little different than a straight fanfare.

Then it again, all of this is pure speculation, so who knows?

JW would make an album of the JWfan score, and the rest of our lives would be dedicated to find the unreleased music

The music would be scattered on several JWFan based video games and extended editions, Blu-rays and Laserdiscs to keep us busy for years, often in partial form or alternate takes, not the full messageboard versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Williams will weave musical in-jokes for his friends into this piece like Elgar did with his Enigma Variations.

A recording by the National Brass Ensemble is already planned:

The residency concludes at Skywalker Sound in Marin County, where the Ensemble will record a commercial CD including brass arrangements from Gabrieli's Sacrae symphoniae and the recording premiere of Williams' new composition.

http://gmc.sonoma.edu/event/2170779-national-brass-ensemble-in-concert

Is John still friends with Yoda?

John Williams is Yoda. Just check out my signature. Lucas stole all the Force philosophy from Williams, obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to your report. I have high hopes that this is a longer, concert-hall type piece, but I welcome any new Williams piece.

I look forward to your report.

Ditto! John Williams knows the performers relatively well (especially the brass players of Boston Symphony Orchestra) so I think the audience will be in for a treat! :)

Given the press announcement for the brass piece, I would say a recording and release of this piece is close to certain. As for the other piece, we will have to wait and see even the performance details. However, a concert piano/orchestra piece by Williams is a sort of holy grail for me. I hope that press release is accurate.

this is really great...we have at least 3 new JW works where we could get recordings any day now. Conversations, this brass piece and now the piano/orchestra scherzo. I think we're in a Golden Age of JW concert music.