'Music for Brass': New Williams work for Brass Ensemble

Joe Brausam

Well, thanks to various ensembles and chamber orchestras, we know it's not required up to 26 people. Not sure if it has been thoroughly tested. How much is direction and how much is tradition?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll wait untill the whole thing is available in the iTunes store. Don't want be tantalized with 30 seconds!

How about 90 seconds? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my CD yesterday. Gabrieli's music is terrific and played by the top notch people of seven major orchestras but the Music for Brass is a real near 5 minute tour-de-force of brass writing and playing which seems to encapsulate a lot of the modern Williams brass writing in its quick, propulsive and excited tone. It is not the sound of his celebratory fanfares but a bit more biting and driving with shades of his modern action writing in it. Impressively the piece contains several distinctive sections and little moments for the different brass instruments to shine and seems to be written very consciously with these virtuosos in mind. The mood is sparkling and festive building to spirited finale with almost propulsive kinetic energy behind it. Colour me impressed.

Just downloaded the piece. Nothing we haven't heard from Williams before, but great nonetheless. I'm thankful that we still get this kind of music from Williams.

Just listened to the piece. I liked it a lot!

I think Johnny really likes writing this kind of stuff.

I agree. It's a terrific piece.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...