BloodBoal

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Superman ostinato.

I prefer the film version because it sounds like it tries harder. The opening part with BAM BAM baaam before the theme creates a fun feeling of vertigo, like when you throw a ball and expect it to fall. It contains fun snippets (0:24!), and you don't actually know where's it going. It's essentially, or it could be, a super condensed exposition of ideas to be used in a X-Men score!

It has a stronger Powell voice. Or a Powell short of time. Heh.

The 2 note rhythm you point out, actually has 3 notes. a succession of the famous two note followed by a third punctuating note.

Comparing the very very simply Jaws rhythm with the more specific Superman ostinato doesn't really wash though.

And do you guys really think using that ostinato in a superhero movie isnt done on purpose?

I have always preferred the film version for the Main Titles of X-Men 3. Like others have stated the album version is to "formal". Supposedly Powell wanted the film version on the album but the album had all ready been finished by the time he finished re-writing and re-scoring the twelve scenes (including Main Titles) that he did.