Star Wars "Rebels" - Kevin Kiner Returns!

Joe Brausam

3 hours ago, Jay said:

George doesn't run Lucasfilm any more.

But they're still sticking to his word. Filoni mentioned how he and George worked out how to bring Thrawn into the canon. Stuff like the Ysalamiri were abandoned because George said they wouldn't work in the universe. I'm certain that if he didn't want Mara Jade then they'd leave him out and Filoni said fans shouldn't expect to see her. 

Loads of what's happening in SW at the moment is because of George. 

• 1 month later...

Soundtracks for Season 1 and Season 2 will be released later this month.

Season 1 will be released on September 16 and will have 28 tracks, while Season 2 will be released on September 30 and will have 33 tracks.

I hate that they didn't release soundtracks for individual seasons of The Clone Wars. I'm doing a rewatch of the series now, and I have a greater appreciation for some of Kiner's work, especially in the later seasons. (The officially released soundtrack contains several tracks from Season 1 of the show, which aren't as good as those from later seasons. I feel like the tracks released on Kiner's website do a better job at representing the series, but there are still a ton of great cues unreleased.)

The score for Rebels Season 1 annoyed me with its heavy (and unnecessary) use of Williams' themes and melodies, but there were some standouts in my opinion, like the Season 1 finale. I hope those cues make it onto the soundtrack. Season 2 was better overall, with several standouts throughout the season culminating in that amazing finale, which is hands down the best scoring I have ever heard from Kiner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they include those cues on the soundtrack.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly Season 2's episode "Wings of the Master" contains the track "Hera Soars", which is clearly based on Horner's "Rocketeer" (especially starting at 0:56):

This episode aired only a few months after Horner's death, so maybe it was meant to be an hommage to him.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

He slipped som ET (keys theme) in one of the episodes from this season.

I noticed that too. Very confusing; no clue what that was doing there. :blink:

5 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

It has a vaguely threatening feel?

Why the heck doesn't he write original music that sounds threatening then? :stick:

That Rocketeer reference sounds very awkward, like a thinly veiled copy of the original that just comes off as clumsy.

6 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

It has a vaguely threatening feel?

I suppose....

Does anyone have a clue if he's doing it on purpose as homage?

The Rocketeer bit would make sense for that. But the ET bit not so much....

He successfully scored six seasons of The Clone Wars with very sparing reference to JW's themes (by design, IIRC at George Lucas' behest).

The mission for Rebels was nostalgia and the producers asked him to be highly referential of Star Wars music - it's everywhere.  I think the Rocketeer reference was intentional, and cited in interviews at the time on StarWars.com episode guides or their Rebels Recon video series as such.  I don't know if the ET reference was intentional or coincidental, and TBH I have no idea what "Keys' Theme" is, although I'd know a snippet from ET if I heard it.

Keys theme: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3090DCF4B8C53249&params=OAFIAVgQ&v=LV4WN-B3EC4&mode=NORMAL

Compare to the clip at 2:09 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBCRl1R6Fno

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

He successfully scored six seasons of The Clone Wars with very sparing reference to JW's themes (by design, IIRC at George Lucas' behest).

The mission for Rebels was nostalgia and the producers asked him to be highly referential of Star Wars music - it's everywhere.  I think the Rocketeer reference was intentional, and cited in interviews at the time on StarWars.com episode guides or their Rebels Recon video series as such.  I don't know if the ET reference was intentional or coincidental, and TBH I have no idea what "Keys' Theme" is, although I'd know a snippet from ET if I heard it.

That is exactly what makes me wonder if indeed it WAS intentional. It would certainly explain a lot.

But if so... then, why? It certainly isn't obvious to me....

Yeah but he used them a lot less frequently. 

I guess JW is more life support than a crutch.

The use of Leia's theme in Spark of Rebellion ?

I think the ET reference was made to insert a familiar Williams sound without ripping off music from Star wars directly.

It fooled me...i thought it was from the OT! :P for one minute

Keep in mind that Rebels and TCW use a lot of temp scoring. References to themes by JW and other composers probably aren't done as a homage, the producers probably told him to put them in there. I think I remember hearing in an interview a long time ago that every scene in TCW was temp tracked. Not sure how much they temp tracked Rebels, but I'm sure it's quite a bit.

• 4 months later...

Is there anyone else here who actually enjoys the score to Star Wars Rebels? If so, I have created a document to list all of the released music:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/14eRZVEtAvn3wdmatIdHzqWJYcS71ZclhvFV4UKJ3A4U/htmlview#

Comments, corrections and other feedback are of-course very much welcome.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:21 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Keep in mind that Rebels and TCW use a lot of temp scoring. References to themes by JW and other composers probably aren't done as a homage, the producers probably told him to put them in there. I think I remember hearing in an interview a long time ago that every scene in TCW was temp tracked. Not sure how much they temp tracked Rebels, but I'm sure it's quite a bit.

In the latest episode Twin Suns the episode ends with a character on a dewback.  Right before the music goes into Binary Sunset (or the second half of The Princess Appears to us LP fans) there is a quick little mysterioso bit.  It's like a total of four notes.  I think it's a Williams quote.  I had thought it was the beginning of The Jedi Steps, but it's not.  It might be a prequel cue which would be why I'd be less familiar with it.  OTOH, it might be from Jaws.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I enjoy the daylights out of the Rebels scores.

What are you referring to? The music before Luke's theme or the music before the Force theme? The former doesn't seem to be a direct quote of anything though is reminiscent of a few different TFA things. The latter is straight from the original cue.

On March 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's quite obviously a callback to Luke's secondary 'motif' from ANH which was reused for TFA.

Luke's secondary motif?

On March 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Rebels does not use music from any of the films, every piece of music is original (minus re-recordings).

If you talking purely recordings I think that's pretty obvious as the quality is nothing near that of the original orchestral recordings. Original is a strong word to use those when there are so many direct quotes in the music.

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Original is a strong word to use those when there are so many direct quotes in the music.

That's why I said "minus re-recordings".

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Luke's secondary motif?

Yes. Luke has a very short 'motif', if you can even call it that. Just a few light flute notes. It appears throughout the original trilogy, mainly just in ANH. It appears again prominently in TFA as the 'map motif'.

16 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes. Luke has a very short 'motif', if you can even call it that. Just a few light flute notes. It appears throughout the original trilogy, mainly just in ANH. It appears again prominently in TFA as the 'map motif'.

Timestamps?

On 3/14/2017 at 9:18 PM, CGCJ said:

Is there anyone else here who actually enjoys the score to Star Wars Rebels? If so, I have created a document to list all of the released music:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/14eRZVEtAvn3wdmatIdHzqWJYcS71ZclhvFV4UKJ3A4U/htmlview#

Comments, corrections and other feedback are of-course very much welcome.

This is great! Thanks for doing this.

17 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't have the time to just sit around watching the film for timestamps. Go find them yourself, they should be easy enough to hear.

Haha wow sorry wouldn't have asked if I knew you would be a dick about it. For most people on the site it's not a very hard request, considering the fact that you don't need to watch the film, you just need to be familiar with the soundtracks which I would have assumed you were.