Star Wars "Rebels" - Kevin Kiner Returns!

Joe Brausam

7 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Haha wow sorry wouldn't have asked if I knew you would be a dick about it. For most people on the site it's not a very hard request, considering the fact that you don't need to watch the film, you just need to be familiar with the soundtracks which I would have assumed you were.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be a dick, that's just how I talk. I am familiar with the scores, I just don't have the time to go through everything. I doubt anyone here would be able to give you exact timestamps just from memory, unless they had an extreme case of Asperger's.

The entire score to the series 3 final Zero Hour was recorded with live musicians and I think it's some of the best music of the entire series, and through the use of live musicians I think it stands well with John Williams' film scores. I mean, just listen to the Kanan and Ezra cue, with its beautiful blending of a classic John Williams theme and the theme for Ezra. It may just be me (well, very likely just me), but I can see this fitting really well into one of the original films. (Please don't hate me for my probably insanely high praise of it)                      

It definitely stood out to me more than usual, the opening notes almost reminded me vaguely of late 90s on Goldsmith

9 hours ago, CGCJ said:

The entire score to the series 3 final Zero Hour was recorded with live musicians and I think it's some of the best music of the entire series, and through the use of live musicians I think it stands well with John Williams' film scores. I mean, just listen to the Kanan and Ezra cue, with its beautiful blending of a classic John Williams theme and the theme for Ezra. It may just be me (well, very likely just me), but I can see this fitting really well into one of the original films. (Please don't hate me for my probably insanely high praise of it)                      

well I mean of course it'd fit well into one of the original films seeing as how most of the piece is recycled note for note from ANH. the fact it was a live orchestra immediately stood out to me and it was a nice change that highlighted a rather dramatic episode and the music had some highlights but also at times it delved into generic kind of action music and I lost interest. I also heard that Kevin Kiner is not the only composer for Star Wars Rebels, but that other music has been provided from other sources. do you know if that's true or not?

On 3/26/2017 at 12:51 PM, DarthDementous said:

I also heard that Kevin Kiner is not the only composer for Star Wars Rebels, [...] do you know if that's true or not?

Yeah, obviously there's Kevin Kiner but there's also his two sons Sean and Dean (Sean started working on series 2 while Dean on series 3), David Glen Russell (also worked on Clone Wars), Takeshi Furukawa (also worked on Clone Wars), Matthew St. Laurent (also worked on Clone Wars), Jared Forman , Reuven Herman (also worked on Clone Wars) & Julian Cisneros.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:49 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Nobody gives timestamps from memory. And we know not everyone has access to the music during the whole day.

So it is just a matter of arriving home, puting the CD or open itunes, play the track and tell us one example where to find the theme you mentioned.....

Yep.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

A little late, considering The Clone Wars has been off the air for several years now, but I made a video comparing a cue from TCW with a cue from The Scorpion King, taking a look at how similar they are (as is other music from TCW). George Lucas obviously has a strong attachment to whatever temp music he uses.

This isn't the only cue from The Scorpion King used as temp music... both the movie and season 1 are filled to the rim with obvious references. Their temp music editor (or maybe even George) seems to have a thing for John Debney.

• 3 weeks later...

Often I listen to my entire music collection at random, so I end up hearing all sorts of stuff I normally wouldn't listen to.

In this case I suddenly heard music that made me think "Hey, I didn't remember that variation from Jaws, which one is that?!?"

Turns out it was "You're the Bait!" from Star Wars Rebels: Season 2, which is blatantly temped from "Man Against Beast".

Good music actually, but vastly inferior to the real deal.

I really wonder what inspires certain composers into such shameless rip-offs.

There was a fight sequence in this week’s episode that was clearly based on the airplane fight from Raiders.  There have been other clear homages (ET, some Horner I believe).  They are so blatant that I feel like they have to be more “references” than just lazy temp track work.

Kiner has also done some good work, esp. in the first two episodes this season, that was not necessarily reliant on outside works or even the Star Wars idiom

• 2 months later...

Watching Rebels right now and came across this variation of Vader's Theme that I thought was pretty neat, then it returns to a overly bombastic rendition. I've found Rebels is a mixed bag of a score, largely because what couldn't be done in the scoring sessions was done in midi and things like strings and brass sound off.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

I really wonder what inspires certain composers into such shameless rip-offs.

Not usually the composers; the directors are usually the ones who put the temp score, sometime aggressively.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Not usually the composers; the directors are usually the ones who put the temp score, sometime aggressively.

So weird. Why would a director aggressively want viewers to be able to recognize "this is Jaws" in the middle of Star Wars?

I'd be quite interested in understanding their reasoning.