• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Joe Brausam

Star Wars "Rebels" - Kevin Kiner Returns!

210 posts in this topic

He slipped som ET (keys theme) in one of the episodes from this season.

I spent several seconds trying to identify which Williams' star wars score it belonged to! XD

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

He slipped som ET (keys theme) in one of the episodes from this season.

I noticed that too. Very confusing; no clue what that was doing there. :blink:

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

no clue what that was doing there. :blink:

It has a vaguely threatening feel?

5 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

Why the heck doesn't he write original music that sounds threatening then? :stick:

That Rocketeer reference sounds very awkward, like a thinly veiled copy of the original that just comes off as clumsy.

6 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

I suppose....

Does anyone have a clue if he's doing it on purpose as homage?

The Rocketeer bit would make sense for that. But the ET bit not so much....

He successfully scored six seasons of The Clone Wars with very sparing reference to JW's themes (by design, IIRC at George Lucas' behest).

The mission for Rebels was nostalgia and the producers asked him to be highly referential of Star Wars music - it's everywhere.  I think the Rocketeer reference was intentional, and cited in interviews at the time on StarWars.com episode guides or their Rebels Recon video series as such.  I don't know if the ET reference was intentional or coincidental, and TBH I have no idea what "Keys' Theme" is, although I'd know a snippet from ET if I heard it.

Pieter_Boelen likes this

Keys theme: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3090DCF4B8C53249&params=OAFIAVgQ&v=LV4WN-B3EC4&mode=NORMAL

Compare to the clip at 2:09 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBCRl1R6Fno

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

He successfully scored six seasons of The Clone Wars with very sparing reference to JW's themes (by design, IIRC at George Lucas' behest).

The mission for Rebels was nostalgia and the producers asked him to be highly referential of Star Wars music - it's everywhere.  I think the Rocketeer reference was intentional, and cited in interviews at the time on StarWars.com episode guides or their Rebels Recon video series as such.  I don't know if the ET reference was intentional or coincidental, and TBH I have no idea what "Keys' Theme" is, although I'd know a snippet from ET if I heard it.

That is exactly what makes me wonder if indeed it WAS intentional. It would certainly explain a lot.

But if so... then, why? It certainly isn't obvious to me....

Yeah but he used them a lot less frequently. 

I guess JW is more life support than a crutch.

The use of Leia's theme in Spark of Rebellion ?

I think the ET reference was made to insert a familiar Williams sound without ripping off music from Star wars directly.

It fooled me...i thought it was from the OT! :P for one minute

Pieter_Boelen likes this

Keep in mind that Rebels and TCW use a lot of temp scoring. References to themes by JW and other composers probably aren't done as a homage, the producers probably told him to put them in there. I think I remember hearing in an interview a long time ago that every scene in TCW was temp tracked. Not sure how much they temp tracked Rebels, but I'm sure it's quite a bit.

DarthDementous likes this

I enjoyed the two OST's in a guilty kinda pleasure brain turned off kind of way

I thought Kiner was a bit better in TCW where he couldn't use JW as a crutch but since then? 

The Leia quote in the very first episode just soured the whole thing for me .

DarthDementous likes this

I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is Filoni and co.'s fault as well though.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:21 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Keep in mind that Rebels and TCW use a lot of temp scoring. References to themes by JW and other composers probably aren't done as a homage, the producers probably told him to put them in there. I think I remember hearing in an interview a long time ago that every scene in TCW was temp tracked. Not sure how much they temp tracked Rebels, but I'm sure it's quite a bit.

In the latest episode Twin Suns the episode ends with a character on a dewback.  Right before the music goes into Binary Sunset (or the second half of The Princess Appears to us LP fans) there is a quick little mysterioso bit.  It's like a total of four notes.  I think it's a Williams quote.  I had thought it was the beginning of The Jedi Steps, but it's not.  It might be a prequel cue which would be why I'd be less familiar with it.  OTOH, it might be from Jaws.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I enjoy the daylights out of the Rebels scores.

What are you referring to? The music before Luke's theme or the music before the Force theme? The former doesn't seem to be a direct quote of anything though is reminiscent of a few different TFA things. The latter is straight from the original cue.

Sounds like the Rebel Fanfare to me.

It's quite obviously a callback to Luke's secondary 'motif' from ANH which was reused for TFA. Rebels does not use music from any of the films, every piece of music is original (minus re-recordings).

This isn't about the score, but I really liked the most recent episode, from

Spoiler

the appearance of Obi-Wan

through

Spoiler

Darth Maul's noble end

rpvee, TR8R and Pieter_Boelen like this

On March 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's quite obviously a callback to Luke's secondary 'motif' from ANH which was reused for TFA.

Luke's secondary motif?

On March 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Rebels does not use music from any of the films, every piece of music is original (minus re-recordings).

If you talking purely recordings I think that's pretty obvious as the quality is nothing near that of the original orchestral recordings. Original is a strong word to use those when there are so many direct quotes in the music.

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Original is a strong word to use those when there are so many direct quotes in the music.

That's why I said "minus re-recordings".

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Luke's secondary motif?

Yes. Luke has a very short 'motif', if you can even call it that. Just a few light flute notes. It appears throughout the original trilogy, mainly just in ANH. It appears again prominently in TFA as the 'map motif'.

16 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes. Luke has a very short 'motif', if you can even call it that. Just a few light flute notes. It appears throughout the original trilogy, mainly just in ANH. It appears again prominently in TFA as the 'map motif'.

Timestamps?

On 3/14/2017 at 9:18 PM, CGCJ said:

Is there anyone else here who actually enjoys the score to Star Wars Rebels? If so, I have created a document to list all of the released music:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/14eRZVEtAvn3wdmatIdHzqWJYcS71ZclhvFV4UKJ3A4U/htmlview#

Comments, corrections and other feedback are of-course very much welcome.

This is great! Thanks for doing this.

4 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Timestamps?

I don't have the time to just sit around watching the film for timestamps. Go find them yourself, they should be easy enough to hear.

Specially since it seems to be a theme that really not many people had noticed before...

I have no idea what I just witnessed. So Disney Star Wars is now ripping off Titanic?

17 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't have the time to just sit around watching the film for timestamps. Go find them yourself, they should be easy enough to hear.

Haha wow sorry wouldn't have asked if I knew you would be a dick about it. For most people on the site it's not a very hard request, considering the fact that you don't need to watch the film, you just need to be familiar with the soundtracks which I would have assumed you were.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this