New Jurassic Park LP Releases (June 11th)

scallenger

Was the frustration for you guys really stronger than the pleasure of listening to the music?

What a weird question ;)

In some cases it was 60% pleasure, 40% frustration, especially after watching the movies.

The TOD album was perfectly fine for what it was. What I mean is, he had to take a 2 hour score and whittle it down to 40 minutes, and for the most part I'd say he chose the most important highlights to put on there. The real problem is that a score of that nature deserved the double-LP treatment like Superman, Star Wars, and Empire, and it's a shame that didn't get one.

Likewise, ROTJ also deserved a double-LP, especially since it was the third entry in a series that started with two double-LPs. And ROTJ is an even longer and more complex score, with more themes at play, than TOD. Unlike TOD, I don't think the original ROTJ LP is very successful.

TOD at least follows a narrative arc, the album tells a story. A truncated story, but it works.

The ROTJ LP is more of a random collection of different ideas, there's no real cohesiveness to it. It's the least successful presentation out of all the original Star Wars albums. The 1994 Anthology version is great, though!

Oh great. The anniversary version is STILL not available in Germany after a year, and now that there will likely be an album I could order... it has to be a vinyl record? :folder:

I haven't owned a working record player in a decase.

Can't you order from the US?

Since it's download-only, technically no.

The ROTJ LP is more of a random collection of different ideas, there's no real cohesiveness to it. It's the least successful presentation out of all the original Star Wars albums.

I'd say it was originally planned as a double album (probably similar in content to the third disc of the Anthology), but as you said the nature of the score made it impossible to make a decent 40-minute LP out of it. BTW it was Lucas' decision to release it on a single disc: "we didn't consider there was enough material for a double LP" (Starlog magazine, May 1985). I will never forget that quote.

It's just so frustrating when so much of its 40 minute running time is spent on concert arrangements, lapti nek, and repeated SW music when he wrote so many brilliant cues for the actual film's underscore. It must have been cool to get more little by little, via the Gerhardt LP then Verujian Kojian Trilogy CD, then finally the Anthlogy release. I love the 1997SE release of ROTJ of course but that one disc of the Anthology really does cover the score very nicely

I worked at a retirement home (under terrible conditions) for three weeks when I had just turned 16 in order to accumulate the money to buy the anthology. It was worth it ;-)

Details on the vinyl have now been revealed. In short: it is the same program as the OST. No bonus tracks. Now if it is the same mixing as the digital release, that would still be a good question. Not that it would matter much since it is vinyl, afterall.

http://www.slashfilm.com/mondo-reveals-jurassic-park-vinyl/

However, there are two variants for $35 each. Limited to 500 each. So these would probably be good collector's items and could be worth far more after they sell out. Both go on sale June 11th.

JP_Both-550x462.jpg

(More photos at the site link)

I like the cover art for the first one best, but I like the disc design better on the 2nd one. I MAY get one of these even though I don't have an LP player. Might just want to frame it, too.

But I will never understand why he chose for this score to put the finale and end credits of the film in the middle of the album, and then repeat the end credits again at the end. That one's a head scratcher to this day.

It always seemed to me like a kind of LP presentation, made up of two sides. Like you're supposed to flip the CD over after the first "finale".

But overall, I like the JP album presentation quite a bit (contrary to many later JW album edits). I'd be interested in hearing how it works in chronological order without the film, but that's not that big a deal. More importantly though, there's some really good music in the 4 bonus tracks of the most recent release, and because they're outside the "regular" presentation, they don't fit into the main flow. Which makes them less interesting than they rightfully should be.

John Williams has written multiple iconic scores in his time

That time has passed.

I guess this is kinda cool. If, you know, you're into vinyl. I know they sorta came back (or they tried to bring them back) as like a hipster thing. But for those of us in the 21st century that have logically embraced advances in technology and now have snap/crackle/pop-free complete versions of John Williams scores that don't require any flipping, what are we to do with such a thing?

I have a solution for you! See my "no editing required" play list here!

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=5504

That playlist is the only way I listen to the score.now. Sure it is not quite in chronic order but it is the best of both worlds without editing and is a great listening experience. I put the jp theme as the first track. I still of course have rips of the remaining missing tracks not released, but I just have them set aside as archival keepsakes for the time being. I still hope they will one day come to us.

What, you don't actually listen to the bonus tracks?

My set has been pretty much Jay's no-editing-required playlist from the word go, although I have The Coming Storm before Dennis Steals the Embryo.

I try to let go of the missing 3 minutes, especially given that none of it was in my original rip-supplemented playlist.

I'd instabuy this if it didn't mean reverting to the OST arrangement, instead of my near-C&C edit. As it is, I'll have to think about it. It'd be a lot of fun to have this on vinyl, and I like the first sleeve. It's good to see some different takes on the artwork after 20 years of the standard JP logo.

More photos:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mondo-reveals-jurassic-park-vinyl/

Limited to 500, which sucks. I'll try getting my hands on one. Don't know if I'd ever open it, though.

As pointed out on FSM, the article is incorrect about both versions being limited to 500 units. Only the version with the T-Rex on the cover is limited. See below.

You're right, Clark. Must be that keen vision of yours! wink.gif It appears that only one of the JP vinyls will be limited (the one with the T-rex skeleton) and the other (the one with the view of grazing Brachiosaurs, which I find more aesthetically-pleasing anyway) will be unlimited. It seems the author of the article incorrectly states they will be limited to 500 apiece, whereas the original statement from Mondo says otherwise.

Source: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=103101&archive=0

From the vendor's official website:

Version A: Artwork by JC Richard
2XLP Pressed on 180 Gram Black vinyl with randomly-inserted Dilophosaurus Vinyl
$35
Unlimited

Version B: Artwork by Dan McCarthy
2XLP Pressed on 180 Gram Translucent Amber
$35
Limited to 1,000 copies

We are the exclusive vendor of this record. These will not be distributed to record stores so if you want a copy you have to grab one on our site beginning on June 11th.

http://blog.mondotees.com/2014/04/29/jurassic-park-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/

• 1 month later...

I have a turntable that I use all the time, and I didn't forget about the release date for this, but ultimately decided not to buy it. I couldn't justify it because I know I'd never feel like listening to the OST arrangement of the JP score. But I do appreciate that there was an opportunity for such a lovingly packaged release of the score.

• 4 weeks later...

JW DID conduct, some of the sessions. Artie Kane only conducted some sessions after JW hurt his back.

JW DID conduct, some of the sessions. The other guy only conducted some sessions after JW hurt his back.

Indeed, but I thought Artie Kane conducted the entire score.