What was the last GREAT theme?

Quintus

Laura is great, but so is Star Wars and its Force theme.

Only one of them is iconic, however.

The force?

The absolute best post-2000 tune is Monica's Theme from A.I.

One of my favorites (especially as vocalise), though usually at this point someone chimes in and says it's too saccharine and that the real gem of the score is the Blue Fairy theme.

Star Wars and its Force theme.

I often include Princess Leia's theme in its company, at least as heard in its ravishing concert form.

It's not terribly high on my list, for a few reasons. But it's a Williams theme.

Just curious. It's somehow insinuated itself into my list of top 10 most frequently whistled JW themes even though I haven't listened to the score in years.

It's not terribly high on my list, for a few reasons. But it's a Williams theme.

Just curious. It's somehow insinuated itself into my list of top 10 most frequently whistled JW themes even though I haven't listened to the score in years.

Hmm, yeah I could see it being one of those that gets stuck in your head for weeks at a time.

This is such a great and recognizable theme that I play it in my classes to get students to clear their desks.

The last great theme was Richard Wagner's Fafnir's theme from Ring des Nibelungens! After that film music lost it.

While great is debatable, i enjoyed numerous ones in the last years, among them WAR HORSE, SNOW WHITE, SPIDER-MAN (Horner), LA BELLE ET LA BETE (Adenot), NOW YOU SEE ME, ADORE etc.

And that's after 2007.

Just from JW I'd say war horse bonding theme, deaths theme from book thief (if you can overlook the Mozart rip), mutts theme from kotcs.

Mutt's Theme (apart from being a Copland Hoe-Down) is one of those Williams' themes that totally ignores the character its supposedly portraying.

That at least halfway gets there. The Dobby theme is another concoction without much relevance to the movie, though all are nice concert pieces.

Williams recent soundtracks all have a few GREAT cues

Notably People's House from Lincoln and Visitor on Himmel Street from Book Thief, Plowing and a few others from War Horse

Tintin is somwhat harder to say, Sometimes a cue starts great but ends up a bit disjointed. There's no great track throughout

Mutt's Theme (apart from being a Copland Hoe-Down) is one of those Williams' themes that totally ignores the character its supposedly portraying.

I actively despise that theme.

It's not really a theme, though, is it? It relates to one short slapstick sequence within a larger sequence.

Mutt has another theme, derived from Raider's march. You can hear both father/son themes in the end credits coda.

Karol

It's not really a theme, though, is it? It relates to one short slapstick sequence within a larger sequence.

Mutt has another theme, derived from Raider's march. You can hear both father/son themes in the end credits coda.

Karol

"The Adventures of Mutt" is essentially a derivation of the Mutt's Theme that you're talking about. That's why I like it, JW develops it in some really cool ways. I don't really care how it functions in the film (although it worked well I thought)

He saw the rushes.

That one is also rubbish!

KOCS as a score is such a let down!

Why Johnny...why?

Losers! Whiny turds!

Karol

Across The Stars is basically just the Star Wars main theme in epic strings mode.

But Hedwig's is great.

a note on that. i said that to my piano teacher once..... comparing Across the stars to star wars main theme. and he disagreed with me. He said it was more closely related to May THe Force be with you.

Plenty of great ones over the years, but if we want to narrow down to absolute favorites, two that immediately jump to mind are...

Jesse's theme from The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

The Island's theme from LOST

I'd say the beginning of Healing Katniss of JNHoward (with the english horn).

But it's subjectiv

What's The Island's theme? The little "doo doo doo doo doooo" figure that repeats?

I can't decipher your doos, but I'm more specifically referring to its arrangement in "Aloha" where Giacchino turns it into this grand heroic statement.

Ahh that one! I always thought that was more of a general theme for Jack and the core characters, or like a "story" theme. There are a couple smaller motives that I more associated with The Island.