Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

I noticed Little Mermaid this year, and Pocahontas next year. Not bad.... coming from an Alan Menken fan .... though I was hoping for a full version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. Guess DIsney really IS trying to forget about the movie

I noticed Little Mermaid this year, and Pocahontas next year. Not bad.... coming from an Alan Menken fan .... though I was hoping for a full version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. Guess DIsney really IS trying to forget about the movie

No, they're not trying to forget it. All releases in the Legacy Collection are anniversary releases. Hunchback's 20th anniversary is in 2016.

The announcement says they will release titles through 2015... I hope this doesn't mean they will stop releasing them after 2015. Maybe they were just announcing titles through 2015.

I am curious about what they are going to include in the Pocahontas release. Obviously, they won't include the uncensored versions of the Savages songs, but will they include the deleted song "If I Never Knew You"? Also, the instrumental beginning of "Savages Part 2" was different than the film version. I hope this new release includes the film version as I find it superior to the album version.

No, they're not trying to forget it. All releases in the Legacy Collection are anniversary releases. Hunchback's 20th anniversary is in 2016.

I would have loved this one. Great memorable score.

Karol

From FFShrine:

So copies of this Legacy Collection CD were being sold early at Disney World during the Harambe Nights event at Animal Kingdom. I don't want to post a rip of it since it technically hasn't been released yet, but I will spill some dirt on it. This a fantastic album and it's great to see this score finally get a full release. Every bit of music from the final film is here as far as I can tell.

Here's the final tracklist.

Disc 1:
1. Circle Of Life/Nants' Ingonyama (3:59)
2. Didn't Your Mother Tell You Not To Play With Your Food (2:08)
3. We Are All Connected (3:02)
4. Hyenas in the Pride Land (3:51)
5. I Just Can't Wait To Be King (2:52)
6. Elephant Graveyard (4:48)
7. I Was Just Trying To Be Brave (2:16)
8. Be Prepared (3:40)
9. Simba, It's To Die For (0:48)
10. Stampede (3:22)
11. Mufasa Dies (3:27)
12. If You Ever Come Back We'll Kill You (1:38)
13. Bowling For Buzzards (0:30)
14. Hakuna Matata (4:08)
15. We Gotta Bone To Pick With You (1:08)
16. Kings of the Past (2:48)
17. Nala, Is It Really You (4:11)
18. Can You Feel The Love Tonight (2:52)
19. Remember Who You Are (7:48)
20. This Is My Home (2:45)
21. The Rightful King (11:46)

Disc 2:
1. The Morning Report (1:37)
2. Warthog Rhapsody (3:06)
3. We Are All Connected Score Demo (3:05)
4. I Was Just Trying To Be Brave Score Demo (2:16)
5. Stampede Score Demo (3:23)
6. Mufasa Dies Score Demo (3:27)
7. This Is My Home Score Demo (2:28)
8. The Rightful King Score Demo (11:42)
9. Circle Of Life Instrumental Demo (4:02)
10. Circle of Life Elton John (4:52)
11. I Just Can't Wait To Be King Elton John (3:37)
12. Can You Feel The Love Tonight Elton John (4:03)

Some notes:
The main five songs are identical to the versions included in past soundtrack releases.

A lot of the Score seems to have extra instruments that can't be heard in the rip scorepranos posted. Someone who's more of an audiophile than me can compare when the CD comes out, but being an official studio release, this is obviously higher quality and the superior version.

Track 4 is the scene with Simba talking to Scar up to just before I Just Can't Wait To Be King.

Track 12 is from the scene with Scar telling the other Lionesses that Mufasa and Simba died. The music from the Hyenas chasing Simba out of the Pride Lands is at the end of Track 11.

A snoring sound can be heard at the start of Track 19. Oops.

Timon's Hula Song is at the end of Track 20.

Disc 2 has some online content linked to on the disc. Unfortunately, the website it's being hosted on isn't up yet. It just redirects me to a 403 Forbidden page. There's nothing in the book or on the disc that tells me what it is.

The Morning Report is the version from the Special Edition DVD.

Warthog Rhapsody is the version from Rhythm of the Pride Lands.

Not really sure what the Score Demos are about. They're earlier versions of the music I suppose, but they are still full orchestrations and sound similar to the music from the final film only with a bunch of minor changes here and there. It's still nice that Dinsey included them and they are neat to listen to.

And the packaging. Rather than being in a standard CD case, this is actually a small book containing lyrics and concept art with two folders for the discs in the back of it. The fact that it's a book is nice, but I'm not a fan of the way the discs are held. It's easy for them to slide out or get scratches if you are not careful with them.

wow if it contains the hawaiian song it is complete for sure.

Shame about the 'snore'. I hope it does not mean this is sourced from the film stems... :folder:

That is most likely coming from the ending of the song that comes before this cue. i.e. the song crossfades to the successive score track.

Shame about the 'snore'. I hope it does not mean this is sourced from the film stems... :folder:

It could be part of the transition from "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and isn't a snore so much as a snort.

Honestly, I think they should have had Timon's Hula Song as a separate bonus track instead of being included at the end of Homeward Bound (This Is My Home). Hopefully, there is some silence at the end of the cue before Timon's Hula Song.

I'm very eager to hear the demos. I originally thought they would have been MIDI-type music, which I don't mind, but they're usually only good for one listen. Glad to hear that they are fully orchestrated. Since these are said to be slightly different than the film versions, would these be considered alternates?

They could be, yes.

What I'm hearing, though, is the sessions are the only place you can hear the original orchestration for "We Are All Connected": the Legacy version apparently contains the version with the insert the film uses (with the Busa theme revisions) and the demo contains something completely different.

I'm very eager to hear the demos. I originally thought they would have been MIDI-type music, which I don't mind, but they're usually only good for one listen. Glad to hear that they are fully orchestrated.

Or someone just misheard and Zimmer's synthy orchestrations are hard to distinguish from actual synth mockups. ;)

While Lion King has lots of synths, it's probably one of Hansy's most acoustic sounding scores. Especially the lovely pan-pies solos, those are obviously played by a person and it shows. They're probably one of the most beautiful highlights of the score.

That is most likely coming from the ending of the song that comes before this cue. i.e. the song crossfades to the successive score track.

Oh, of course.

No problem then.

I am curious. In the film, "Be Prepared" ends with a cymbal and rolling drum crescendo. Was that recorded separately? It was not included on the official release; it only ends with the chorus.

I don't know. For all we know, it might have been pulled from the percusion track of another cue.

Another little tidbit I got told: "We Are All Connected" contains the insert that appears in the film, and apparently the demo contains something else completely, making the sessions the only place you can find the original orchestration.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary Poppins tracklist is up.

here's a very good site with pictures:

http://thelegacycollection.myplaydirect.com/

So, judging from the Lion King, it seems the cases are like digibooks! Classy!

(although easily damaged)

Why, oh why didn't the include Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast in this line? :(

Because anniversaries only matter in 5-year increments.

the schedule goes up to 2015.

They could extend this collection to 2016 and include Beauty and the Beast.

Unless it's announced later.

(although as that site suggests the entire Walt Disney Legacy collection is just these 12 albums)

Mary Poppins tracklist is up.

Oh shoot! Looks like disc 1 is the same as the 40th anniversary expanded release. That probably means we're still not getting the full finale :(

That's correct: at current, only 12 scores are planned from now to the end of 2015. If it's successful enough (and it will be) then Disney could be persuaded to extend it.

I am sure the series will continue through 2016 and beyond unless the landscape of soundtrack releases radically changes by then.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sleeping Beauty's tracklist is up. Seems like nothing new in disc one. Disc 2 are demos as usual.

Well, that is disappointing. There is a few musical moments that are still unreleased, specifically the scene when Phillip is captured by Maleficent and her henchmen.

Disc: 1
1. Main Title / Once Upon a Dream / Prologue
2. Hail to the Princess Aurora
3. The Gifts of Beauty and Song / Maleficent Appears / True Love Conquers All
4. The Burning of the Spinning Wheels / The Fairies Plan
5. Maleficent's Frustration
6. A Cottage in the Woods
7. Do You Hear That? / I Wonder (Mary Costa)
8. An Unusual Prince / Once Upon a Dream (Mary Costa and Bill Shirley)
9. Magical House Cleaning / Blue or Pink
10. A Secret Revealed
11. Skumps (Drinking Song) / The Royal Argument (Bill Thompson and Taylor Holmes)
12. Prince Phillip Arrives / How to Tell Stefan
13. Aurora's Return / Maleficent's Evil Spell
14. Poor Aurora / Sleeping Beauty
15. Forbidden Mountain
16. A Fairy Tale Come True
17. Battle with the Forces of Evil
18. Awakening
19. Finale

Disc: 2
1. It Happens I Have a Picture Demo (Hans Conried and Bill Thompson)
2. It Happens I Have a Picture (Randy Crenshaw and Dennis Kyle)
3. Riddle, Diddle, One, Two, Three Demo (Verna Felton, Barbara Jo Allen and Coleen Collins)
4. Riddle, Diddle, One, Two, Three (Cindy Robinson and Linda Kerns)
5. Evil Evil Demo (Hans Conried and Bill Thompson)
6. Evil Evil (Randy Crenshaw, Jeff Gunn and Dennis Kyle)
7. Sleeping Beauty Overture (Tutti Camarata Orchestra)
8. Blue Bird / I Wonder Album Version (Mary Costa)
9. Woodland Symphony / Once Upon a Dream Album Version (Mary Costa and Bill Lee)
10. Love Theme from Sleeping Beauty (Tutti Camarata Orchestra)

Maybe it is there?

I didn't watch the movie and don't know.

I just got The Lion King release today as a present for getting my MA results. Really impressed with everything. The artwork looks great, the packaging itself it brilliant, and the sound quality is perfect to my ears.

Part of me would love to collect all of these but I have a string burning hatred for Mary Poppins going all the way back to my childhood.

*cringe*

My sister loved the film and I hated Dick Van Dyke's singing. I hated all the songs tbh. Just couldn't stand it. It's extremely well loved though so I'm obviously missing something. I even remember matte paintings being painfully obvious before I even knew what a matte painting was.

The Lion King 20th – June 24, 2014
Sleeping Beauty 55th – October 7, 2014
The Little Mermaid 25th – November 17, 2014
Fantasia 75th – January 3, 2015
Pinocchio 75th – February 3, 2015
Toy Story 20th – March 17, 2015

Are all ones that I'll definitely get. Thank God they don't have numbers on the spine or I'd feel I had to get them all.

Are all ones that I'll definitely get. Thank God they don't have numbers on the spine or I'd feel I had to get them all.

Let's hope nobody higher up at Disney reads this, or someone in the CD art department will get fired. ;)

Disc: 1

1. Main Title / Once Upon a Dream / Prologue

2. Hail to the Princess Aurora

3. The Gifts of Beauty and Song / Maleficent Appears / True Love Conquers All

4. The Burning of the Spinning Wheels / The Fairies Plan

5. Maleficent's Frustration

6. A Cottage in the Woods

7. Do You Hear That? / I Wonder (Mary Costa)

8. An Unusual Prince / Once Upon a Dream (Mary Costa and Bill Shirley)

9. Magical House Cleaning / Blue or Pink

10. A Secret Revealed

11. Skumps (Drinking Song) / The Royal Argument (Bill Thompson and Taylor Holmes)

12. Prince Phillip Arrives / How to Tell Stefan

13. Aurora's Return / Maleficent's Evil Spell

14. Poor Aurora / Sleeping Beauty

15. Forbidden Mountain

16. A Fairy Tale Come True

17. Battle with the Forces of Evil

18. Awakening

19. Finale

Disc: 2

1. It Happens I Have a Picture Demo (Hans Conried and Bill Thompson)

2. It Happens I Have a Picture (Randy Crenshaw and Dennis Kyle)

3. Riddle, Diddle, One, Two, Three Demo (Verna Felton, Barbara Jo Allen and Coleen Collins)

4. Riddle, Diddle, One, Two, Three (Cindy Robinson and Linda Kerns)

5. Evil Evil Demo (Hans Conried and Bill Thompson)

6. Evil Evil (Randy Crenshaw, Jeff Gunn and Dennis Kyle)

7. Sleeping Beauty Overture (Tutti Camarata Orchestra)

8. Blue Bird / I Wonder Album Version (Mary Costa)

9. Woodland Symphony / Once Upon a Dream Album Version (Mary Costa and Bill Lee)

10. Love Theme from Sleeping Beauty (Tutti Camarata Orchestra)

Maybe it is there?

I didn't watch the movie and don't know.

No, it is not there. It is basically the previous release, just with a second disc containing demos. Not interested.

is there a foot warmer of sleeping beauty without sfx?

1st time I hear...

BTW i think we can assume the old scores are not being expanded (probably due to sources not available, they would have done it already in the preceding special edition sountracks...

But i really hope the menken scores get the lion king treatment, if not it is going to be dissapointing... :/

I remember reading an article saying they had found the masters of the complete Sleeping Beauty score as recorded. :/ I was really looking forward to have the Phillip Captured cue too.

Hope Little Mermaid is given complete treatment like Lion King as it has several prominent missing cues.

I remember reading an article saying they had found the masters of the complete Sleeping Beauty score as recorded. :/ I was really looking forward to have the Phillip Captured cue too.

Hope Little Mermaid is given complete treatment like Lion King as it has several prominent missing cues.

Even more of a disappointment; the possibility that the unreleased material had their master tapes uncovered. Would you happen to have a link to that article per chance?