Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

This is indeed a great release. :) For a score recorded so long ago, the restoration is very well done. I'm eagerly looking forward to Beauty & The Beast and hope the remaining Alan Menken classics get Legacy treatment too, including Hercules (one of his most overlooked scores IMHO). Hopefully Mulan and Toy Story 2 as well.

As far as Alan Menken is concerned, I really want Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and especially The Hunchback of Notre Dame to be additions to The Legacy Collection. All of them deserve an expanded treatment, especially and particularly Hunchback.

yeah i hope that those three by the least are in this batch.

Adding Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan to fully release the silver age of disney animation in the 90's would be the icing of the cake :)

Damn you, America! Damn you all to Hell!

The UK doesn't get it for another two Fridays!

Champing at the bit!

51 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Adding Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan to fully release the silver age of disney animation in the 90's would be the icing of the cake :)

HERCULES would be great. "You go, girl!"

Mark Mancina? I can take or leave it, although...if it didn't have all those silly PC songs...

If I ever heard of a complete MULAN, I'd come in my underwear, right there and then.

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

If I ever heard of a complete MULAN, I'd come in my underwear, right there and then.

You know there is a complete score out there supposedly sourced from an academy promo, right? for like... a decade ago...

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, yes. Now you mention it, I did recall this. It would be nice to have a remaster of it, though.

There is a properly mastered FYC-based bootleg actually, complete with score alternates from other sources and all but one of the songs -- not included because the fan responsible for the set didn't like it.

There's one bit they seem to have missed and always made me curious because it remained unused in the US version but in the Latin American-dubbed version we got around here this particular bit of underscore seems to have survived somehow. It always puzzled me why in our version they kept it but in the original version they didn't, it's very curious.

I couldn't find it online so I took the liberty of uploading it myself -hope it doesn't get taken down

Latin American version

US version

Weird, innit?

Edit: Only now just noticed that you can hear the cut/edit of the orchestra when the trumpet kicks in towards the end of the US version!

Also, I just found out about this! Sound familiar? From another Bruns score

Legacy Collection is only for movies made by Walt Disney Pictures.  List here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films

And beyond that that they probably would only do Legacy Collection for the core canon animated/live action classics.

Nixon was only distributed by Disney.

• 4 months later...

Whoa, 2018 is shaping-up to be a good first couple of months, for music. What with this, and box sets from Fleetwood Mac, Roxy Music, and Jethro Tull, not to mention the new one from Simple Minds, I'll have my January-March listening sorted.

Bring. It. On :)

Awesome, this has been my holy grail since I was a kid.  I hope it includes some possibly unused cues (not sure if it's Menken or not) that were featured in a featurette.  Song instrumentals would also be ideal but I'm not holding my breath for those.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:43 AM, ManofDestiny said:

Next one is Beauty and the Beast.

Coming next year February.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788XQJVX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.XioAbGFFQ3AC

Nice!

However, can the next release after this PLEASE, PLEASE be The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Alan Menken's score to that film needs a complete release.

• 1 month later...

These cover arts are wonderful, I love the matching style across all releases, makes me want to start collecting these, even though I have no real interest in any of them and even less expendable cash.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So...any news if this series is continuing? We need Aladdin, by the least.

Lack of high sales; it’s dead in the water...DEAD!!!

.....I’m kidding. I have no idea.

Aladdin would be great; having Alan Menken’s entire score included with the songs remastered.

I would want The Hunchback of Notre Dame a little bit more, though (minus “A Guy Like You”; the song itself is good, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in contrast to everything else in the film. I just as well leave it out).

On 11/1/2018 at 9:59 PM, Joe Brausam said:

There’s been talk on FSM about The Rescuers being next.  A track list got leaked, I think from a source that’s been accurate in the past.

Seriously?

What is the thought process behind which title even qualifies under this collection?

They did not even do Sleeping Beauty right, and they had access to all the original recording sessions, which they used for the remastered re-release of the film, but somehow did not bother to use it for the legacy reissue, and that is exactly what that was, a reissue of the OST, not even remastered, with a second disc containing miscellaneous song recordings unrelated to George Brun’s adaptation.

I’m glad they did The Lion King, Toy Story, The Aristocats, The Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, Beauty and the Beast. 

They did those titles right. I understood why those titles were in this collection.

But The Rescuers? I really hope that is not true. Compared to those titles mentioned, what makes The Rescuers so special. The film was okay, but the music barely left any impact (I hardly remember any of it).

I give up.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Will they ever do an Incredibles legacy collection? 

That would be great, but it is too recent. Nothing but wishful thinking.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’d rather they do this for everything.

You want “Home on the Range?” Oh, the horror. Two discs of Rosanne Barr’s annoying voice screaming into your ear drums.