Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Probably more than a Mulan or Robin Hood (sorry, just IMO)

You want “Chicken Little” too? 

Imagine the potential. It could be the Crappy Collection: music from the films that nearly ruined Disney.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

You want “Chicken Little” too? 

Imagine the potential. It could be the Crappy Collection: music from the films that nearly ruined Disney.

By that logic, I guess 75% of Goldsmith’s work should go unreleased.

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’ve never seen or heard Chicken Little, but John Debney is often good so I don’t see why not 

There's some quite fun stuff in there, actually.

There's definitely far worse out there.

I wish Matessino would have worked on these.  For the most part, the Menken releases and the other releases of newer material have been good.  However, I don't think they were given the attention to detail they deserved.  Pocahontas and The Little Mermaid were riddled with errors here and there.  And why weren't song instrumentals included? Regardless, what was released is better than nothing at all. I'm hoping these will get a proper redo in the future but I'm not holding my breath. 

The older scores definitely needed and deserved better treatment.  I didn't purchase any of those since they've been rereleases for the most part.

I didn't notice any technical issues... it sounds excellent to my ears!  The issues are more like wrong takes used, album versions rather than film versions used, etc.  Minor stuff really.

Snap. Why haven't I seen this thread earlier. I have The Lion King OST and I'm getting the Hunchback of Notre Dame on order (I saw it in Florida but passed it up-welp!).

QUESTION: Is the score to Aristocats worth my time?

32 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Snap. Why haven't I seen this thread earlier. I have The Lion King OST and I'm getting the Hunchback of Notre Dame on order (I saw it in Florida but passed it up-welp!).

QUESTION: Is the score to Aristocats worth my time?

George Brun’s score is worth a listen, especially as the Legacy edition is the first time the entire score has ever been released, and the remastered sound is well done.

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Better than some.

I liked his very Goldsmithy electronic montage near the beginning, when Mulan leaves her home

That and the avalanche scene. It's an alright score. 

Strangely enough, not a huge fan of it or Secret of NIMH in terms of isolated listening (to name the other Goldsmith cartoon score). I don't know why, just never engaged me. I'll still buy Mulan if/when Intrada ever releases it or whatever, but I imagine I wouldn't be listening to it much. 

• 1 month later...

I just got the complete score for Toy Story and find it to be a wonderful listening experience.  But there is some material left in the film that is still unreleased - Buzz Revealed Pt. 2 (when Hamm asks Buzz "So where you from?  Singapore?  Hong Kong?"), the abridged version of "You've Got A Friend In Me" heard during the film's opening credits, the reprise of the song performed by Randy Newman and John Lasseter (plays over the ending credits), and the film version of "I Will Go Sailing No More".  And there are couple unused cues.  So I created a custom complete score for Toy Story, putting the film versions of the Randy Newman songs into the main score presentation and their OST counterparts along with the two unused film cues with the additional music. 

SCORE PRESENTATION

1. Opening / "You've Got A Friend In Me" [Film Version] (crossfaded the song into the opening cue, truncated the song, ripped the "just remember what your old pal said" part from the film)

2. Andy's Birthday Is Today

3. They're Alive!

4. Staff Meeting Everybody / You Too Bo Peep (crossfaded cues)

5. Andy's Birthday Party

6. Code Red

7. A Good Soldier Never Leaves a Man Behind

8. Presents: Who Invited That Kid? / Surprise Present (crossfaded cues)

9. Buzz Revealed (part one only)

10. Buzz Flies

11. Strange Things

12. Woody & Bo Peed

13. Sid

14. Virtual Reality

15. Woody Plots / Robe Globeburg (crossfaded cues)

16. Woody Did It!

17. Rescue Attempt

18. Buzz, You're Alive!

19. Buzz and Woody Fight

20. Buzz's Mission

21. It's a Spaceship, Buzz

22. Pizza Planet Rock

23. What? Hello? A Space Port!

24. The Claw

25. Dr. Sid

26. Mutant Toys

27. Woody's Gone

28. Sorry Guys, Dinner's Canceled

29. Scud

30. Buzz Lightyear Commercial

31. I Will Go Sailing No More [Film Version] (used the first 20 seconds of the version heard in the film, truncated song)

32. Out The Window

33. Sid's Toys Fix Buzz

34. The Big One / Sad Andy (crossfaded cues)

35. Buzz, I Need Your Help

36. Working Together (Leads to Failure)

37. The Rescue - Part 1

38. The Rescue - Part 2: Play Nice, Sid

39. Chasing the Van

40. RC to the Rescue

41. To Infinity and Beyond

42. Together Again and a Very Merry Christmas

43. You've Got A Friend In Me (Reprise) / End Credits (used the version of the song heard during the end credits)

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

1. Strange Things (Piano Vocal Demo)

2. Plastic Spaceman (Piano Vocal Demo)

3. I Will Go Sailing No More (Piano Vocal Demo)

4. The Fool (Piano Vocal Demo)

5. You've Got a Friend in Me (Album Version)

6. I Will Go Sailing No More (Album Version)

7. Strange Things (Instrumental)

8. I Will Go Sailing No More (Instrumental)

9. You've Got A Friend In Me (Alternate)

10. What Are You Doing Under The Bed‡

11. Sid Counts Down‡

‡unused film score cue

That said, I think Toy Story 2 deserves a Legacy treatment, and then Toy Story 3.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The movie sucks but I’ve always thought it was Menken’s best score actually 

Agreed that it is his greatest work. (Hunchback may match its heights but isn’t quite as consistent IMO.)

Yavar

47 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

(Hunchback may match its heights but isn’t quite as consistent IMO.)

Maybe. But Hunchback is still my favourite Menken score.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Have you guys just never heard Hercules, or

Probably his most underrated, and possibly my favourite. Much neglected movie also. Perhaps too witty for the general Disney crowd?

I'm really afraid of Disney fucking up the expansion of Mulan. Something like joining score and songs, bleeding tracks, Mummy-like mixing, film edits, missing alternates... choose from that selection. I bet they won't join short cues for a better listening experience and when they do it will be crossfades with sour notes.

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, Brundlefly said:

I'm really afraid of Disney fucking up the expansion of Mulan. Something like joining score and songs, bleeding tracks, Mummy-like mixing, film edits, missing alternates... choose from that selection. I bet they won't join short cues for a better listening experience and when they do it will be crossfades with sour notes.

Mulan probably won't happen anyway. Goldsmith just isn't commercial enough for the masses.

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

But George Bruns is?

Intrada is not for the masses and Sleeping Beauty was a direct adaptation of Tchaikovsky.

11 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Any hints of an Aladdin release? Beauty and the beast came around the year when the remake film was, didn't it?

Yep, and it did well to expose how bland Disney music got by that point.

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Intrada is not for the masses and Sleeping Beauty was a direct adaptation of Tchaikovsky.

What is "a direct adaptation" exactly? Bruns made quite a few modifications to the original music. His most brilliant was taking a little one-off motif (for clarinet, I think?) that represented a playful cat in a single dance number...and he put that three note motif performed in eerie fashion by a solo female vocalist, as a representation of the evil Maleficent! It was eerie and haunting and frankly terrifying for that whole long sequence when Aurora is drawn to prick her finger on the spindle. It's riveting. And that is due in large part to George Bruns's genius, not just Tchaikovsky's, because the context changed so very much.

Yavar

The majority of consumers buying Robin Hood and Aristocats are doing so primarily for the songs.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What is "a direct adaptation" exactly? Bruns made quite a few modifications to the original music...

Good question. From your descriptions, it sounds like he did a lot more original scoring on Sleeping Beauty than I had realized and I must say, did a great job of making it all sound cohesive. I'll have to look further into these differences between the film score and ballet some day, because they sound pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this!

10 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

The majority of consumers buying Robin Hood and Aristocats are doing so primarily for the songs.

Possibly, but compared to other Disney films, Robin Hood at least (I'm not that familiar with Aristocats) doesn't have a lot of prominent songs. I'd say Whistle Stop is very likely to be the most famous bit, and I wouldn't call that a song. Aside from that, if my childhood self, long before I knew about film music, is any indication, the royal march and fanfare, archery tournament, and perhaps subsequent battle, are easily the most memorable bits simply from watching the film.

At least I think there's a considerable contrast in song/score balance when compared to the Menken scores - which *I* mostly buy because of the songs.