Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Possibly, but compared to other Disney films, Robin Hood at least (I'm not that familiar with Aristocats) doesn't have a lot of prominent songs. I'd say Whistle Stop is very likely to be the most famous bit, and I wouldn't call that a song. Aside from that, if my childhood self, long before I knew about film music, is any indication, the royal march and fanfare, archery tournament, and perhaps subsequent battle, are easily the most memorable bits simply from watching the film.

At least I think there's a considerable contrast in song/score balance when compared to the Menken scores - which *I* mostly buy because of the songs.

I always have had the pizzicato statement of Oo-de-lally during the fortune-teller sequence stuck in my head.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, dougie said:

Mulan probably won't happen anyway. Goldsmith just isn't commercial enough for the masses.

In this case it would be given to Intrada - which would be great!

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

In this case it would be given to Intrada - which would be great!

Only if they get a real mastering engineer to work on it.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Only if they get a real mastering engineer to work on it.

Intrada fucked up just once - and that one time happened to be their expansion of The Mummy!

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any thoughts/news as to a possible continuation of the Legacy Collection? I can think of a slew of scores that I'd love to see get the same treatment as the ones I've heard thus far.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Convention exclusive?! 🤮

Hopefully it does get a wider release and that's just a 'get it here first' kind of deal. That's the one Menken I really wanted.

Legacy Collection releases for Cinderella and The Aristocats were initially D23 Expo exclusives as well, it was a 'get it here first' thing ;)

The amount of money and work that went into it, it wouldn’t be profitable to just sell at a convention.  That’s what repressing existing releases onto picture vinyl is for!

I'll get Aladdin for sure, for now, I felt for these ones: Beauty, Poca and The Zimmer King.

About the Hunchback, it's a movie I never saw... it's on my wishlist.

For The Little Mermaid, I passed, as it seems the edit of the finale is a complete fail, so it's better to listen to the OST, even if the album seems to have been recorded "under the sea". :lol:

1 hour ago, 4te said:

Legacy Collection releases for Cinderella and The Aristocats were initially D23 Expo exclusives as well, it was a 'get it here first' thing ;)

Robin Hood in 2017 as well.  I actually think it was available online and at the parks the first day of the expo.

Amazing! 😁

I hope they do not screw up anything this time. Aladdin is my absolute #1 Alan Menken score of all time since childhood.

21 minutes ago, DemonStar said:

Amazing! 😁

I hope they do not screw up anything this time. Aladdin is my absolute #1 Alan Menken score of all time since childhood.

Yeah, that's the rub... the track record does not bode well, but we can but hope. Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback were my grails from the classic Menken era, but Aladdin is terrific and it'll be great to have the whole thing.

While I would, of course, buy an expanded release of Mulan in a heartbeat, the entire (I think) score (plus alternates) has been floating around for ages. I would rather this one went to Intrada as I don't really trust Disney not to screw it up in some magnificent way, plus I don't especially like the way they put almost no gap between every track. Sometimes you need that space... there's a couple of instances on BATB in particular where the lack of a gap between underscore and song is quite jarring.

Yay!

Now all I need is Mulan and Hercules and I'm sorted for Disney animation score expansions.

@heidl have you ever considered tackling the Legacy Collection for your HQCovers site?

These Menken releases are the only ones I’m super interested in re: expansions.  There are plenty of Disney films and series, including what they consider animated classics, which have never had premiere CD releases - those are where it’s at for me!

Hercules may be agiven, since there is a live action film coming. Hope this time the do the clever thing and release it alonside the movie (like Beauty and the Beast, unlike Aladdin)

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think this is great news and I hope this means they'll keep The Legacy Collections going.

I would love editions of the following scores:

• Tangled
  • Enchanted
  • Hercules
  • Snow White & The Huntsman

Snow White and the Huntsman is a Universal film, so if and when that score is expanded, it won’t be by Walt Disney Records!

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:
  • Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs

Fixed

37 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Snow White and the Huntsman is a Universal film, so if and when that score is expanded, it won’t be by Walt Disney Records!

On 12/7/2022 at 2:10 PM, bnubz said:

Looks like Aladdin is up next as a D23 Expo "exclusive" in September:

"Make Your Disney Vinyl Collection Complete
In addition to the 24 new offerings available at D23 Expo 2022, 10 titles are exclusive or first-to-market, including … The Legacy Collection: Aladdin (exclusive CD)…"

Source: https://d23.com/disney-music-emporium-pavilion-returns-to-d23-expo-with-exclusive-and-first-to-market-vinyl-albums-and-more/

YES! Also, it makes sense since this year marks the 30th anniversary of the film. I suspect a wide release between October and December. Definitely getting it if it is a remaster of the songs and Alan Menken’s complete score, which it will be.

Yay looking forward (mostly) to Aladdin getting the legacy treatment. Does anyone know how long after D23 the other legacy editions (Cinderella, The Aristocats and Robin Hood) that were released exclusively there got a wider release?

On 02/03/2019 at 6:54 PM, Counterparts said:

I always have had the pizzicato statement of Oo-de-lally during the fortune-teller sequence stuck in my head.

I do love pizzicato strings :lovethis:

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Really?

One of Disney's weakest animated films.

I like it a lot, and not just because it was a childhood favourite, I think. But my above comment wasn't related to the film in any way, this is a thread about the music. Come to think of it, I don't even know if there has been any kind of soundtrack release for it (there might well have been one, but I don't have it).

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The book is a classic, though!

And the parts that Disney adapted weren't so different from the book, as I recall.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I like it a lot, and not just because it was a childhood favourite, I think. But my above comment wasn't related to the film in any way, this is a thread about the music. Come to think of it, I don't even know if there has been any kind of soundtrack release for it (there might well have been one, but I don't have it).

And the parts that Disney adapted weren't so different from the book, as I recall.

The book is a poetic masterpiece. An adult retelling of the Arthurian legend ( like EXCALIBUR).

The film was goofy and aimed at children .

I would LOVE to see a remake.

Done in.the spirit of the book .

P.S I found the music to be totally unmemorable😣

12 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The book is a poetic masterpiece. An adult retelling of the Arthurian legend ( like EXCALIBUR).

The film was goofy and aimed at children .

Yes, it's a Disney film. Like Hunchback of Notre Dame was as well, and yet it's closer to its book in some (not all!) respects than the 1939 Dieterle version.