• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Fal

Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

481 posts in this topic

Fantastic, The Lion King is among my favorite scores ever and Zimmer's best score he has ever done!

I have to say, being able to hear Hans Zimmer's complete score to The Lion King 20 years after the film was released is remarkable. I mean, the way Disney is celebrating the 20th anniversary of this phenomenal film by releasing this 2 CD set is amazing. Looking forward to hearing the complete score for the first time, and in pristine sound quality.

I have to say, Hans Zimmer has done some good music over the years of his career. I am referring to The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, and A League of Their Own. Actually, those are the only works of Hans Zimmer that I really enjoy. My favorite of his scores is definitely The Lion King.

JohnnyD, you can hear the complete score right now

Embarrassed to admit it, but I completely missed this piece of news. Fantastic! I'll be getting it for sure. It's cool that two of my favourite Zimmer scores are getting expansions literally weeks apart! :D

Karol

Hey, Jason. That YouTube link you posted; is that a preview of the 2 CD release, or is it a bootleg? If it is a bootleg, I will wait patiently for my copy of the soundtrack to arrive.

Hey, Jason. That YouTube link you posted; is that a preview of the 2 CD release, or is it a bootleg? If it is a bootleg, I will wait patiently for my copy of the soundtrack to arrive.

It's a bootleg. A really great sounding one has been available publicly for a little over a year.

You must unlearn what you have learned

I wish there was a documentary in which Hans Zimmer goes in depth into the scoring process of The Lion King; that is why I am looking forward to the liner notes by Don Hahn and Hans Zimmer.

Liner notes. Not linear notes. Liner notes.

Seeing the words "Toy Story (20th)" sent a shiver down my spine. Where has the time gone?

I refuse to believe that Toy Story is nearly 20 years old!

They're not linear to dyslexics either.

Uh... I'm not dyslexic. It was just a simple typing error. I corrected it.

Anyway, I wonder how in depth the liner notes will go with discussion on Hans Zimmer's score?

I was making a joke. I periodically turn typos into jokes. It's just one of my online habits, and I would kindly ask that if I make an outrageous typo, somebody use it for a joke too. I wasn't accusing you of being dyslexic.

I was making a joke. I periodically turn typos into jokes. It's just one of my online habits, and I would kindly ask that if I make an outrageous typo, somebody use it for a joke too. I wasn't accusing you of being dyslexic.

I know; I was just messing around.

Just pre-ordered my copy of The Lion King Legacy on Amazon (the US version of the store)... should be here for the start of July (Amazon has a habit of overestimating their ETAs, or at least, the UK store does)

I noticed Little Mermaid this year, and Pocahontas next year. Not bad.... coming from an Alan Menken fan .... though I was hoping for a full version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. Guess DIsney really IS trying to forget about the movie

I noticed Little Mermaid this year, and Pocahontas next year. Not bad.... coming from an Alan Menken fan .... though I was hoping for a full version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. Guess DIsney really IS trying to forget about the movie

No, they're not trying to forget it. All releases in the Legacy Collection are anniversary releases. Hunchback's 20th anniversary is in 2016.

The announcement says they will release titles through 2015... I hope this doesn't mean they will stop releasing them after 2015. Maybe they were just announcing titles through 2015.

I am curious about what they are going to include in the Pocahontas release. Obviously, they won't include the uncensored versions of the Savages songs, but will they include the deleted song "If I Never Knew You"? Also, the instrumental beginning of "Savages Part 2" was different than the film version. I hope this new release includes the film version as I find it superior to the album version.

ShowUStheHOOK likes this

No, they're not trying to forget it. All releases in the Legacy Collection are anniversary releases. Hunchback's 20th anniversary is in 2016.

I would have loved this one. Great memorable score.

Karol

ShowUStheHOOK likes this

From FFShrine:

So copies of this Legacy Collection CD were being sold early at Disney World during the Harambe Nights event at Animal Kingdom. I don't want to post a rip of it since it technically hasn't been released yet, but I will spill some dirt on it. This a fantastic album and it's great to see this score finally get a full release. Every bit of music from the final film is here as far as I can tell.

Here's the final tracklist.

Disc 1:
1. Circle Of Life/Nants' Ingonyama (3:59)
2. Didn't Your Mother Tell You Not To Play With Your Food (2:08)
3. We Are All Connected (3:02)
4. Hyenas in the Pride Land (3:51)
5. I Just Can't Wait To Be King (2:52)
6. Elephant Graveyard (4:48)
7. I Was Just Trying To Be Brave (2:16)
8. Be Prepared (3:40)
9. Simba, It's To Die For (0:48)
10. Stampede (3:22)
11. Mufasa Dies (3:27)
12. If You Ever Come Back We'll Kill You (1:38)
13. Bowling For Buzzards (0:30)
14. Hakuna Matata (4:08)
15. We Gotta Bone To Pick With You (1:08)
16. Kings of the Past (2:48)
17. Nala, Is It Really You (4:11)
18. Can You Feel The Love Tonight (2:52)
19. Remember Who You Are (7:48)
20. This Is My Home (2:45)
21. The Rightful King (11:46)

Disc 2:
1. The Morning Report (1:37)
2. Warthog Rhapsody (3:06)
3. We Are All Connected Score Demo (3:05)
4. I Was Just Trying To Be Brave Score Demo (2:16)
5. Stampede Score Demo (3:23)
6. Mufasa Dies Score Demo (3:27)
7. This Is My Home Score Demo (2:28)
8. The Rightful King Score Demo (11:42)
9. Circle Of Life Instrumental Demo (4:02)
10. Circle of Life Elton John (4:52)
11. I Just Can't Wait To Be King Elton John (3:37)
12. Can You Feel The Love Tonight Elton John (4:03)

Some notes:
The main five songs are identical to the versions included in past soundtrack releases.

A lot of the Score seems to have extra instruments that can't be heard in the rip scorepranos posted. Someone who's more of an audiophile than me can compare when the CD comes out, but being an official studio release, this is obviously higher quality and the superior version.

Track 4 is the scene with Simba talking to Scar up to just before I Just Can't Wait To Be King.

Track 12 is from the scene with Scar telling the other Lionesses that Mufasa and Simba died. The music from the Hyenas chasing Simba out of the Pride Lands is at the end of Track 11.

A snoring sound can be heard at the start of Track 19. Oops.

Timon's Hula Song is at the end of Track 20.

Disc 2 has some online content linked to on the disc. Unfortunately, the website it's being hosted on isn't up yet. It just redirects me to a 403 Forbidden page. There's nothing in the book or on the disc that tells me what it is.

The Morning Report is the version from the Special Edition DVD.

Warthog Rhapsody is the version from Rhythm of the Pride Lands.

Not really sure what the Score Demos are about. They're earlier versions of the music I suppose, but they are still full orchestrations and sound similar to the music from the final film only with a bunch of minor changes here and there. It's still nice that Dinsey included them and they are neat to listen to.

And the packaging. Rather than being in a standard CD case, this is actually a small book containing lyrics and concept art with two folders for the discs in the back of it. The fact that it's a book is nice, but I'm not a fan of the way the discs are held. It's easy for them to slide out or get scratches if you are not careful with them.

wow if it contains the hawaiian song it is complete for sure.

Shame about the 'snore'. I hope it does not mean this is sourced from the film stems... :folder:

Shame about the 'snore'. I hope it does not mean this is sourced from the film stems... :folder:

That is most likely coming from the ending of the song that comes before this cue. i.e. the song crossfades to the successive score track.

It could be part of the transition from "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and isn't a snore so much as a snort.

Honestly, I think they should have had Timon's Hula Song as a separate bonus track instead of being included at the end of Homeward Bound (This Is My Home). Hopefully, there is some silence at the end of the cue before Timon's Hula Song.

There ought to be: IIRC there's a considerable gap between the two in the film.

I'm very eager to hear the demos. I originally thought they would have been MIDI-type music, which I don't mind, but they're usually only good for one listen. Glad to hear that they are fully orchestrated. Since these are said to be slightly different than the film versions, would these be considered alternates?

They could be, yes.

What I'm hearing, though, is the sessions are the only place you can hear the original orchestration for "We Are All Connected": the Legacy version apparently contains the version with the insert the film uses (with the Busa theme revisions) and the demo contains something completely different.

I'm very eager to hear the demos. I originally thought they would have been MIDI-type music, which I don't mind, but they're usually only good for one listen. Glad to hear that they are fully orchestrated.

Or someone just misheard and Zimmer's synthy orchestrations are hard to distinguish from actual synth mockups. ;)

Compared the track times with the leaked sessions. Yes, we're getting the complete score on this new release. :)

Joe Brausam likes this

I'm very eager to hear the demos. I originally thought they would have been MIDI-type music, which I don't mind, but they're usually only good for one listen. Glad to hear that they are fully orchestrated.

Or someone just misheard and Zimmer's synthy orchestrations are hard to distinguish from actual synth mockups. ;)

While Lion King has lots of synths, it's probably one of Hansy's most acoustic sounding scores. Especially the lovely pan-pies solos, those are obviously played by a person and it shows. They're probably one of the most beautiful highlights of the score.

That is most likely coming from the ending of the song that comes before this cue. i.e. the song crossfades to the successive score track.

Oh, of course.

No problem then.