What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

I didn't mean just you, so you can calm down, actually.

You... Only quoted my post when you... Said you were shat upon... Maybe you meant the... Other Wojo shit on you. I'm... Calm.

Ah well I see what was unclear - my first line responded to what I quoted from you, and then the second went on to make a more general statement (hence "JWFan" and not "Wojo").

And that's how one avoiding a potential pissing contest. Or in this case, a shitting contest.

Moving on.

You post like this a lot, saying "moving on," when in fact it would be better to not post at all, and then there'd be no need to say "moving on."

And that's how one avoiding a potential pissing contest. Or in this case, a shitting contest.

Moving on.

You post like this a lot, saying "moving on," when in fact it would be better to not post at all, and then there'd be no need to say "moving on."

Indeed. It's time to actually move on, RedBard.

Moving on.

Indeed. It's time to actually move on, RedBard.

That's what I just said.

Besides, it's only padding for my post count.

Misunderstood how? It never really lived up to its premise IMO.

Actually if there was one thing missing its desolation. It never really feels like they out in the sticks, struggling to survive with limited resources.

Replicator rationing does not translate into hard times for me.

The ship stayed squeeky clean, the uniforms nice and ironed.

They seemed to have an endless supply of shuttles too, despite them blowing up from time to time.

It would have been nice if as the seasons went on, the sets started showing signs of wear, open panels on walls, wires hanging out, things that couldn't be fixed, stuff like that. And maybe they even stop wearing uniforms, cause they have run out of unspoiled, unripped ones. You want a lived-in feel for a concept like this. As Stefan said, it just ended up being TNG Lite instead.

I can never resist getting involved in a Voyager premise discussion—although in this case, everything's already been said (particularly the highlighted stuff above). "The Year of Hell" was the episode that gave us a glimpse into what STV could've been. Seven years of that would've been hella compelling. Wasn't to be.

I've not really seen Enterprise much. I didnt care for the premise back in the day. And what i have seen looked as stale as Voyager or moreso.

When I first watched Enterprise, I hated it. I didn't watch more than an episode or two. The problem, I think, was that I was watching for another Trek series. That was a mistake. When I went back to it, I shifted perspective: I decided to watch it from a future point of view rather than a past one (in other words, not a prequel to the rest of Trek but as the progression of our current space program). When you see it as Earth astronauts taking their first steps into space, it actually becomes a much more interesting show. I wound up enjoying it more than I ever would've expected.

Oh, and . . . "Nocturnal Activities" from Temple of Doom. ;)

Brilliant!

BRAVEHEART is a score that really has all the bad and the beautiful JH has to offer. The drearily obvious tourism commercial moments, the ever-same repetition but also the elegant and deeply felt passages for huge string section (and the horns, of course).

Subtracting all the bullshit (read: people's perceptions), this must still be WILLOW. It's a corny adventure movie but there are all ingredients of what is great about Horner. These 'beloved' epics like Braveheart and Apollo 13 sure have highlights but on the whole, they suffer from bloat and repetition.

Subtracting all the bullshit (read: people's perceptions), this must still be WILLOW. It's a corny adventure movie but there are all ingredients of what is great about Horner. These 'beloved' epics like Braveheart and Apollo 13 sure have highlights but on the whole, they suffer from bloat and repetition.

I would put Willow on the same level as Braveheart and Apollo 13. Actually . . . I might find it difficult to settle on which one I'd call the best of the trifecta. Add Glory and Star Trek II to that list, and you've have the absolute and indispensable James Horner collection core.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"He said that if they dug his father's body up, it would be gone. They planted a seed over his grave. The seed became a tree. Moses said his father became a part of that tree. He grew into the wood, into the bloom. And when a sparrow ate the tree's fruit, his father flew with the birds. He said... death was his father's road to awe. That's what he called it. The road to awe. Now, I've been trying to write the last chapter and I haven't been able to get that out of my head!"

God what a gorgeous piece of music.

Isn't the opening theme SO good? I love it! Puts you in the PERFECT mood for the episode you're about to watch every time. I told Jeff Beal as much at the Fans of Film Music event last year.

It's perfect. I really dig Beal's underscore too, which I consider an essential component to the atmosphere of the show. There's a sense of moody jazzy sophistication to it that you can't help but appreciate (you've gotta love those jazz inflections in the piano bits or trumpet moments).

Started season 3 today, and the theme has been stuck in my head. Season 3 has some nice musical moments too (cool variations of the main theme ostinato).