What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

Out of morbid curiosity, I re-listened to the pop-duet from A.I.  I like the singers' performance but the triumphant tone and cloying lyrics make it near-unlistenable in any context, much less after a (Spielberg/)Kubrick film.  They made the right decision to use the wordless rendition of the theme over the credits.  

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Out of morbid curiosity, I re-listened to the pop-duet from A.I.  I like the singers' performance but the triumphant tone and cloying lyrics make it near-unlistenable in any context, much less after a (Spielberg/)Kubrick film.  They made the right decision to use the wordless rendition of the theme over the credits.  

Neither version of the song was meant to be in the film. They were recorded specifically for the album.

That wicked bass line has been refusing to leave my head. It goes to show once again, Shore's knack for setting the ancient and unknown to music. It's why there could have been no better living match for Tolkien!

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Never could get into this score.

It's funny, because I know it's been said Shore was basically asked to do his LOTR sound again for this video game, but most of it doesn't sound like it, to me.

He obviously didn't want to do a mere retread so he seems to have stayed away from the clear thematic approach with SUN.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I wasn't taking about the thematic approach or anything like that. Really just the sound of the music itself. It doesn't remind me of LOTR.

To me it sounds like LotR in parts (just like e.g. A History of Violence does) but mostly Shore is really doing something different in the orchestra and choir idiom. It is perhaps more the general Shore-isms that are also found in LotR that are more closer to the point.

Just now, Jay said:

it's more of a "cousin" score to LOTR than a "sister" score

Yeah that is a good way of putting it.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Never could get into this score.

It's funny, because I know it's been said Shore was basically asked to do his LOTR sound again for this video game, but most of it doesn't sound like it, to me.

Are you deaf?

It very obviously is like LOTR.

It takes the more abstract features of LOTR and its soundscape and applies it to a smaller ensemble in a "tone poem"-esque fashion (as Inky often nicely puts it).

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The entering the great hall theme from Sorcerer's Stone running through my head on a loop, making me feel very festive.

The Philosopher's Stone is perhaps due to its release date back in 2001 very much connected to Christmas for me as well even though most of the film isn't even set during holiday season. There is something warm and fuzzy and festive about it though.

I listened to the Call of the Champions album yesterday and now that Olympic fanfare is stuck in my head. Especially the wintery sleigh bells, chimes and brass parts.

I'm not taking the piss I promise, but after listening to the Rogue One OST 4 times today, the melody I have running through my head over and over is.....the Yorktown theme from Star Trek Beyond (the score I've been listening to the past 2 days before R1 came out).

It's so good, as time passes it's really cementing itself as one of Giacchino's 4 or 5 best themes ever

Just now, Jay said:

Have you heard the concert arrangement of it on the Varese Deluxe Edition?  It's great!

Yup! Got my copy on Wednesday.  It was on repeat Wednesday night and all day yesterday!  It's a really great release and a great score.  I just wish that Yorktown theme had been woven a little more throughout the score!  Either way, that concert arrangement has a sure place on an eventual Best of Giacchino compilation.

The film was too busy with action for most of it to stop and reflect (which about the only way the theme would play)

I've just been discovering his work lately pub. He seems pretty talented, though he draws a lot from The Thin Red Line (as most Malick films demand).

This has also been in circling in my head lately too:

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a small incidental melody from Bringing Joey Home and Bonding from War Horse playing in my head for two days, which is pretty irritating when it is the silly comedic woodwind music that underscores an angry goose in the film.

Can't remember if I already posted about this, but I recently discovered this and it's absolutely stunning. The rest of the score doesn't seem to be anything special, but this one cue is an absolute masterpiece. I recently got the chance to start watching the film (inspiring me to check out the rejected score). I think that in context the Strauss piece works better for the opening and the bone-breaking, but I think this piece is way better musically (at least as compared to the part of the Strauss work used in the film, which of course isn't much).

1:00 on is just perfection. 1:07-1:23 has some absolutely stunning harmonies. Just ... wow.