What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

One of my favorite Williams concert pieces. Probably because its also a film score.

Well it is written in a very accessible style and clearly Williams was aware of the venue and audience and the need for a direct style to communicate the narrative, the emotional beats and also enhance the occasion of the millenium celebrations.

Ditto. The suite actually offers a sort of kaleidoscope of his Americana writing from uplifting to sombre to playful and back to nobly triumphant again.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

John Williams made America great again!

If only his music could. It would be all hope and glory in endless summers of childhood and nights of enchanting magic and imagination.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And xylophone!

Among other things yes.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:44 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Must reiterate this.  Really a fantastic cue.  If only Ottman worked more, and payed more attention to composing than editing.

Last time listened up when Ottman had a score out it was on 'Jack The Giant Slayer'. Consider the soft love theme variation and the subtle dissonant intrusions at the 00:40 and 01:50 mark (just for some dialogue scene). It has a distinctively old-school feeling for layered old-school scoring beyond 'big orchestra' settings. Sadly he still fails at sustained louder moments like a lot of his colleagues.

I really gotta play that game.  As a kid I never played 2 or 3 for whatever reason, now everyone seems to agree 2 is the best one.

DKC2 is indeed the best of the SNES trilogy.  It's also the hardest and not for the faint of heart!

I've had the "Men of the Yorktown" melody, as performed by the Boston Pops last year, stuck in my head for a couple of hours now.  I love that arrangement.  Can't wait for the official release in a month or two!

I thought 3 was supposed to be the hard one?

They are all fairly hard games, especially compared to Mario games

I don't know why, but I didn't have as hard a time with DKC3.  That said, the level design is so good in DKC2 that I almost never got super frustrated.  It (mostly) stays fair.

13 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Excellent choice, Mr. Cortex, thought I would personally have chosen Mining Melancholy.

Ah, great one. Can't fault you for that either, nor can I blame you. It is a mighty difficult decision to pick a #1 track from that game. Some days I think Mining Melancholy might be my favorite, some days I prefer Forest Interlude, some days Stickerbrush. What an excellent dilemma to have though, I must say! 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It's one of these video game scores I'd love to get an orchestral recording of!

Oh my goodness, yes. I'm a bit surprised how many great video games scores don't have orchestral recordings to co-exist along the the original material even after all these years. Stuff like Zelda, that's a no-brainer, but there are so many others that I feel would lend themselves to the orchestral format. I feel like it would in most situations almost always end up being a hit, but I say that with a severe lack of knowledge and a large amount of naiveté.

Kirby will be getting a 25th anniversary concert this month in Japan with a potential CD release of the live performance. I guess a game franchise has to last a couple decades or so until orchestral treatments even get considered.

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, shit, though of something else as well: Donkey Kong is a Nintendo character, but the DKC games were developed by Rareware (and there were other companies involved with the other games: Namco, Retro Studios...), so that might complicate things...

Oh, yeah! Good point, I bet that definitely has something to do with it, alongside some of the other points you mentioned earlier. 

Rare may have developed the original trilogy but Retro Strudios made Returns and Tropical Freeze and Nintendo owns all the characters anyway so none of that matters

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

If only Ottman worked more, and payed more attention to composing than editing.

Considering all of the different types of film jobs he's had, especially editing, it's amazing he can write orchestrally to that degree, so it's one of the more frustrating things about him.  I respect his love for editing, but to think what he could have become as a composer if he focused on that entirely....kind of a missed opportunity.  I quite liked the Superman Returns score, despite its detractors.