Jay

What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

1428 posts in this topic

The fanfare from 0:07 has been driving me crazy this entire week.

This one has been going through my head and invading my time when I am trying to write and I love it! 

Liv Tyler's song from "The House of Healing" from Return of the King.  Unnecessary scene (as with all of the ROTK EE additions) but lovely music nonetheless.  

Unfortunately the "Nightmare" theme from The BFG has been stuck in my head today.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Liv Tyler's song from "The House of Healing" from Return of the King.  Unnecessary scene (as with all of the ROTK EE additions) but lovely music nonetheless.  

So you consider Saruman's death scene in the ROTK EE unnecessary?

5 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

So you consider Saruman's death scene in the ROTK EE unnecessary?

Yes, it's just tying up loose ends from TTT and disrupts the "calm before the storm" feeling of the first act of the film after the violent Smeagol prologue.  

On 20/03/2017 at 0:25 AM, LampPost said:

Sublime. There's no other word for it.

Its not in my all-time JW top-five tracks, for nothing.

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Yes, it's just tying up loose ends from TTT and disrupts the "calm before the storm" feeling of the first act of the film after the violent Smeagol prologue.  

I personally found it fits quite well into the beginning of the movie. Without the scene, it leaves viewers not familiar with the books wondering what becomes of Saruman after the battle of Helm's Deep. His death is also symbolic of the threat of Isengard being vanquished, and turns the heroes attention to the imminent threat of Mordor as the main enemy in the film.

It's a great scene on its own, no doubt about it.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Unfortunately?

It is not bad as such but is just so persistent little ditty and it has been worming in my ear the whole day. :P

You should be honored that the sonorous stylings of Williams tickle your brain in such a way. It's enriching, soul nectar even!

"Unfortunately"....Harrumph 

Not a theme, but I've been watching a video compilation by Peter Gabriel. LOVETOWN is great.

The opening movement of Williams' The Unfinished Journey, Immigration and Building:

Will likes this

One of my favorite Williams concert pieces. Probably because its also a film score.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

One of my favorite Williams concert pieces. Probably because its also a film score.

Well it is written in a very accessible style and clearly Williams was aware of the venue and audience and the need for a direct style to communicate the narrative, the emotional beats and also enhance the occasion of the millenium celebrations.

I'm generally a big fan of Williams Americana. 

Ditto. The suite actually offers a sort of kaleidoscope of his Americana writing from uplifting to sombre to playful and back to nobly triumphant again.

John Williams made America great again!

Will likes this

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

John Williams made America great again!

If only his music could. It would be all hope and glory in endless summers of childhood and nights of enchanting magic and imagination.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And xylophone!

Among other things yes.

I currently have that theme from the beginning of "The Land of Shadow" from ROTK stuck in my head.

Incanus likes this

Recently, it's been the very opening of The Egyptian:

Wild signals from Close Encounters of the Third Kind!

This theme from Bliss' score to "Things to Come" :music::

On 3/4/2017 at 1:44 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Must reiterate this.  Really a fantastic cue.  If only Ottman worked more, and payed more attention to composing than editing.

Last time listened up when Ottman had a score out it was on 'Jack The Giant Slayer'. Consider the soft love theme variation and the subtle dissonant intrusions at the 00:40 and 01:50 mark (just for some dialogue scene). It has a distinctively old-school feeling for layered old-school scoring beyond 'big orchestra' settings. Sadly he still fails at sustained louder moments like a lot of his colleagues.

Ottman is one of those, "almost, but not quite" composers for me. Like Debney, McNeely. But probably less good then either of those.