• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

1455 posts in this topic

And here's a clear rendition of Zelda's Lullaby, Inky:

EDIT: Oh, well, Stu edited his post to add a video with a rendition of the original theme, so there you go!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Heh, you got there before me.  I edited the original from Ocarina into my post.

I hate how often this glues itself to my subconsciousness. It's basically a poor man's Gremlins theme, but even a poor man's Gremlins theme is still FUN. 

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

EDIT: Oh, well, Stu edited his post to add a video with a rendition of the original theme, so there you go!

Well that was clever of the composer. Neat little easter egg.

2 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

The main theme from Galaxy Quest.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Cerebral Cortex likes this

Confession: Any post with a Galaxy Quest quote in it will automatically get a like from me. Just how it works, I'm sorry. 

I played Richard III. There were five curtain calls. I was an actor once, damn it. Now look at me. Look at me! I won't go out there and say that stupid line one more time.

By Grabthar's Hammer... what savings.

Cerebral Cortex likes this

The main theme from Kamen's Robin Hood the Prince of Thieves has been playing in my head all morning.

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm just jazzed about posting in the thread, man.

Oh, of course! IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU, ISN'T IT?

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

The main theme from Kamen's Robin Hood the Prince of Thieves has been playing in my head all morning.

tumblr_nau5pdjnf51stcrkko1_500.gif

The BEST Robin Hood composer, right Alvar?

Well Korngold is great too of course. And Barry.

No love for... Streetfield? Streitman? Streakface? Whatever his name is.

Was there anyone else? I dont think so....

Oh right! The Disney animation from 1973. That had some nice music actually. Thank you, Alvar.

Thats pretty much it I guess.

No there was also that TV movie from around the same time as the Costner film!

But otherwise...

I don't understand what is happening.

Anyway, uhhh I think I was humming Zimmer's Driving Miss Daisy theme at one point this morning.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

tumblr_nm3h8hetmh1tsx64po3_400.gif

The Doctor! Ah yes. There was a Who episode with Robin Hood in it. 

So I guess Murray Gold is on the list.

It's a pity the BBC didnt do anything with Robin Hood. Such a classic British story. Wonderful opportunities for great music.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Doctor! Ah yes. There was a Who episode with Robin Hood in it.

In the 34th season, right?

What's Andy Price up to these days?

My favorite Miyazaki film but not my favorite Hisaishi score (although I do love it).

It's for sure my favorite Miyazaki film. It feels the most complete to me. I'm not to well versed in Hisaishi though.

I'm ont a huge fan of the score as heard in the film (it's all over the place in terms of styles, moods, etc., most cues are too short for Hisaishi to develop his ideas...), but I do love the symphonic version that was created for the Hisaishi Meets Miyazaki Films album (which is the version posted by Hawmy here), which includes most of (all?) the highlights of the score. The choral theme (at 02:39 in the video below) is also much more elegant and pleasing on the ears here than the rather grating child singing heard in the film:

Big fan of the requiem theme too (heard at 05:42 in the video Hawmy posted), even if it is heavily inspired by (or "a rip-off of", whichever you prefer) Haendel's Sarabande.

Yes that is how I listen to Nausicaa when the mood takes me.  My favorite Hisaishi tends to be his lighthearted mode.  Kiki's Delivery Service is my most listened to of his scores.  Love that one.

Not Mr. Big likes this

It's hard for me to chose my favourite Hisaishi/Miyazaki score, though my Top 3 would probably feature Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. One thing's for sure: that last one includes my favourite Hisaishi cue, The Boy Who Drank Stars. Absolutely stunning music. Hisaishi at his finest!

Hawmy likes this

I want to live inside "Town With an Ocean View."  How that music makes me feel is how I wish I could feel all the time.

On 19.4.2017 at 7:48 PM, BloodBoal said:

Big fan of the requiem theme too (heard at 05:42 in the video Hawmy posted), even if it is heavily inspired by (or "a rip-off of", whichever you prefer) Haendel's Sarabande.

In all fairness Händel's piece is based on a well-known melody of Folia (Portuguese), La Folía (Spanish), also folies d'Espagne (French), Follies of Spain (English) or Follia (Italian) which is one of the oldest remembered European musical themes. Over the course of three centuries, more than 150 composers have used it in their works. So I wouldn't hold it against Hisaishi for joining the group. ;) 

Oh and Williams' Double Trouble has been playing in my head in its various variations all morning. Especially this little faux-Baroque ditty preceding it in Hagrid the Professor has been particularly persistent.

33 minutes ago, Incanus said:

In all fairness Händel's piece is based on a well-known melody of Folia (Portuguese), La Folía (Spanish), also folies d'Espagne (French), Follies of Spain (English) or Follia (Italian) which is one of the oldest remembered European musical themes. Over the course of three centuries, more than 150 composers have used it in their works. So I wouldn't hold it against Hisaishi for joining the group. ;)

So it's a rip-off of a rip-off? It's just keeps on getting better and better!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So it's a rip-off of a rip-off? It's just keeps on getting better and better!

Here is James Newton Howard's take on the same musical idea:

publicist likes this