True Detective

The first 10 episodes (Treme) feel like a whole to me.

Agreed! It said it all. Second season only repeats what already has been said with the first season.

It's basically an 8 ep mini series

Hmm, sounds good.

vikings_tv_review_a_l_zps816efb07.jpg

BTW, has anyone seen Vikings?

Vikings is incoming for me because I keep getting hounded by mates to watch it. (the same mates who forced me to start Breaking Bad and The Sopranos).

I don't think True Detective is anything like Fincher's Seven. It's actually a much lighter shade of grim than that deeply cynical and oily movie. I'm not a huge fan of Seven.

The tone and style of True Detective is much closer to Silence of the Lambs. With a healthy dose of Twin Peaks.

Yes Steef, it was the instant Twin Peaks recollections while watching the first episode of TD that made me sit up and take notice. The two have much in common, but only one is a bit bonkers and surreal. TD was never surreal. But their worlds and crimes feel very alike.

Alexcremers would appreciate TD much more than Karol did. It's high end. Very high end. I can't even begin to fathom Croc's remark in regards to the content; I thought it was as satisfying and as consistent as BB in that regard.

If I ain't a fan of BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS and every single film directed by David Fincher but loved TWIN PEAKS, will I enjoy this? Guest 2, leave out the snarky comments (re: Enders).

I don't think True Detective is anything like Fincher's Seven. It's actually a much lighter shade of grim than that deeply cynical and oily movie. I'm not a huge fan of Seven.

The problem Se7en always had more me is that it feels like little more then an attempt to do a darker, version of Silence Of The Lambs, but It's too dark. So dark, gritty and realistic that is feels false and stagey. While Silence feels far more natural.

If I ain't a fan of BREAKING BAD, THE SOPRANOS and every single film directed by David Fincher but loved TWIN PEAKS, will I enjoy this? Guest 2, leave out the snarky comments (re: Enders).

I can't even ask if you normally like cop thrillers (I don't). I honestly wouldn't know whether you would enjoy this thing, because you're sort of a flipside version of Koray Savas as far as I can tell. And trust me when I say I mean that in a good way. Watch the first episode and decide from there, because it really sets the tone for the entire thing.

The problem Se7en always had more me is that it feels like little more then an attempt to do a darker, version of Silence Of The Lambs, but It's too dark. So dark, gritty and realistic that is feels false and stagey. While Silence feels far more natural.

Yes, Seven is doused in a creeping gloom which gets more hopeless as it goes on, but I never once felt a sense of gloominess while watching TD. In fact there's actually some good humor sprinkled about here in and there.

Since so much in TD hinges on the Harrelson/McConaughey relationship it is rather futile to cite every serial killer movie that might have similar themes. The 'crime' story is only a cover here.

Just realised I failed to place the rather important word 'never' in my last post. Fixed.

Since so much in TD hinges on the Harrelson/McConaughey relationship it is rather futile to cite every serial killer movie that might have similar themes. The 'crime' story is only a cover here.

That's partly true, but the 'True Detective' title is more than just apt here. It's absolutely key to what the story is about, who Mcconaughey's character is. On the cop side of things he's like Hank in Breaking Bad. Relentless.

Be sure to know every character by their name and with the correct spelling, Steef!

I'm still somewhat in the clear because I haven't watched this show.

Alex

I don't think you'll like it. Would love to be wrong though.

Having given it some further thought I have come to the conclusion that a simple one question test will suffice in answering your query:

Do you love the movie Inception?

If the answer is yes, stay away from True Detective.

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough I've just been chatting about this to my brother who has also just finished it.

Ended up reading this interesting interpretation of it, which largely aligns with my own take: http://io9.com/why-true-detective-is-a-supernatural-show-after-all-1564370767

Ended up reading this interesting interpretation of it, which largely aligns with my own take: http://io9.com/why-true-detective-is-a-supernatural-show-after-all-1564370767

Fascinating read. I must ponder on this one. And perhaps re-watch the first season. I think the author stretches too far sometimes to fit his theory, but there is something about this that could ring true.

This could be the show where for 3 seasons it seems like three completely unrelated stories, then in season 4 they blow your mind by having it all tie together

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the season last night. Still not sure what to take away from all of it. Opposite to most, I actually liked the first 3 episodes a lot more than the latter ones. I think having seen the 6-minute take beforehand kinda disrupted the whole season for me. I didn't know anything about the plot or context of it, but knew it was coming during the whole episode that it occurred in, and that killed a lot of the suspense. Still a breathtaking sequence though.

I feel the show is a lot more similar to Zodiac than Seven, in that it's a slow burn but is never uninteresting. Some really great contemporary noir vibes going on. I immediately thought of The Third Man during the finale's climax.

While the supernatural take on the show is interesting and has some plausibility, I don't really buy into it. Didn't Marty ask Rust in the finale if he still saw things, and Rust replied, "They never really went away." ? On another side note, who was that man they showed at the end of the third episode when Rust was talking about a monster at the end of it all. Ledoux? It was a quick shot and all I recall was some horrendous looking tribal thing with a mask and machete. It was never referenced again.

I actually loved that moment Hart shoots Lebouf, because it totally throws the whole show in a different direction.

Also, even though Cohl is the "obsessive cop on the edge" in this series, it's constantly Hart who is the one who loses it.

Having given it some further thought I have come to the conclusion that a simple one question test will suffice in answering your query:

Do you love the movie Inception?

I hate it.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, initially I was in the camp that saw an actual supernatural background to the whole story, but after this last viewing, I think I've totally shifted to the opposite view. Rust hallucinated the vortex; based on the symbols and whatnot, it was his idea of what might be lurking at the end of his journey. Errol was just a nut. We see him move through several different personas, including one inspired by James Mason while he watches North By Northwest. He wasn't the Yellow King, he was just part of an old and powerful family, and incorporated his own brand of nuttiness into how he went about the family business. He read about the Yellow King, and Carcosa, and it became part of his delusion - one of his personas. Ledoux and the rest were just more nuts recruited to the cause.

But... I don't think this at all debunks Rust's experience with "deeper" darkness and his father/daughter. That I believe was real.

• 1 month later...

Not sure about Vince Vaugn

I liked him in the 90s when he played different characters. Ever since Old School it seems like he's pretty much just been doing the same thing for the last decade. It'll be interesting to see that old Vince Vaughn again.