True Detective

Maybe. But Matthew was already on the road to greatness. He'd been picking more interesting roles then the "love interest for Jennifer Aniston/Sarah Jessica Parker/any other TV actress" stuff he did in the naughties.

Meh. Only skimmed the article, but the philosophy of Cohl is hardly something uniquely original that can only trace back to one source. Plenty of people have felt the way Cohl does about existence

Maybe. But Matthew was already on the road to greatness. He'd been picking more interesting roles then the "love interest for Jennifer Aniston/Sarah Jessica Parker/any other TV actress" stuff he did in the naughties.

He was actually approached for True Detective before Mud and Dallas Buyer's Club.

I think there's enough material lifted from Ligotti to warrant a lawsuit (or petition to have a screen credit). I don't think the Slate article actually read the breakdown of the plagiarism claim thoroughly, just skimmed over it.

Is it just me, or are the people who usually cry plagiarism never the people actually being plagiarized?

Will we be suing Ligotti for his plagiarisms of Lovecraft?

Is it just me, or are the people who usually cry plagiarism never the people actually being plagiarized?

True, but sometimes that happens to get the attention of the person/entity being plagiarized, i.e. Elliot Goldenthal and the debacle over Tyler Bates' score for 300.

• 1 month later...

Just watched the whole season within the last few days. Its got some problems but overall its really bloody good. The darker stuff and themes actually remind me a cross of Silence of the Lambs (specifically buffalo bill scenes) and the Red Riding: in the Year of Our Lord movie trilogy. If you like this you may want to check that out.

I did a Google search and it seems many actually made the connection to Red Riding. Some argue TD is better, some the opposite. While they obviously share similarities, they are quite different in the end. TD is double-faceted; one part is about the gruesome crime at hand, the other about the characters of Rust and Marty, and their relationship.

The Red Riding movies are more traditional in the sense that its crime noir wrapped in really morally murky waters. It's dark, gloomy stuff. And no, not really like Se7en. I love that film, but even I admit it has a deep cynicism for cynicism's sake. There's gloom and doom, but they exist within the frame of the film, rarely ever leaping off the screen into your surrounding atmosphere. No real problem in that, it's Se7en's style, and I love it for what it is. Red Riding on the other hand has palpably toxic atmosphere that just wraps around you. And each movie has its own director and by extension own style. The first is the most grimy and lo-fi one, Abd features an exceptional performance by Andrew Garfield whose young and brash and arrogant reporter carries real heft of screen presence that's usually reserved for older actors. The second and third films are 'cleaner' looking but morally and in tone they're pitch black. All three have a great sense of locale too, the kind that makes you never want to visit those places.

I'm surprised not many have heard of this trilogy. It's some top class work.

They still haven't figured out who they want as their leads

http://www.avclub.com/article/true-detective-adds-seven-more-actresses-its-flat--209302

Hope they choose Brit Marling. She's quite a good actress (she also a good writer) and it'll be nice to see her in something high profile. Though considering she's in contention with Jessica Biel of all people, makes me think they really want eye candy for this role.

I wonder if they are pulling a switcharoo - who they announce as the new leads get killed off in ep 1 or 2, and then other detectives followup their murder for the rest of the season

Well I just read that Colim Farrel could the lead for season 2. Now him I like, although it's hard to imagine him stacking up against McConaughey. Then again it all depends on the writing what it demands from the actors, so I see potential in this. Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch on the other hand, I'm not sold on.

Two days on from finishing season 1 and it's still all in my head. It may very well go down as a classic in my books. Certainly it's got me thinking about the characters more than I have for Walter White.

He's very underrated I think, and something like True Detective may bring out the best in him.

But I would be surprised if season 2 is as good as the first. If that happened it would be some kind of miracle. Which is I'm hoping.

The thing that really sets TD apart is that it can be meta, allegorical, full of symbolism, and yet be a deeply traditional crime story at the same time.

They can certainly still cast 2 females as the 2 lead detectives. Vince and Colin could play bad guys, suspects, husbands of the detectives, who knows.

• 4 weeks later...