True Detective

• 3 weeks later...

HBO is finally making some of those True Detective casting rumors official - 3 more cast members confirmed

The network has finally officially confirmed that Rachel McAdams (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) and Kelly Reilly (Black Box) have joined as female leads, along with Taylor Kitsch (Lone Survivor) in a major role.

true-detective-bar.jpg

• 1 month later...

...closing piece of the Golden Age of TV...

Hah! I hope not. There's True Detective's second season coming up. I also hold out hope for Game of Thrones - depending on whether the implied underlying story really does crystalise into something satisfying, or whether it will prove to be a case of emperor's new clothes.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first episode of True Detective. Not bad ... even though it's very, very, very much about detectives/police. Isn't it a bit like those Nordic detective shows (The Killing, The Bridge, blah, blah, ...)?

I watched the first episode of True Detective. Not bad ... even though it's very, very, very much about detectives/police. Isn't it a bit like those Nordic detective shows (The Killing, The Bridge, blah, blah, ...)?

It becomes much more than that though.

True Detective is nothing like Sherlock whatsoever, other than they both feature 2 leads who solve crimes.

You know, I've seen all the different types. We all fit a certain category. The bully, the charmer, the, uh... surrogate dad, the man possessed by ungovernable rage... the brain. And any of those types can be a good poster, and any of those types can be an incompetent shitheel.

Edit to clarify: I don't mean that I think the idea of time forming a circle is necessarily silly. It's the subsequent inference of endless repetition which is unfounded, as well as the notion that there would be anything troubling about that.

You know, I've seen all the different types. We all fit a certain category. The bully, the charmer, the, uh... surrogate dad, the man possessed by ungovernable rage... the brain. And any of those types can be a good poster, and any of those types can be an incompetent shitheel.

What type are you?

What type are you?

Oh I was just uh, a regular type dude. With a big-ass "like" count.

Nothing like it, but I've never known you to express an appreciation for Twin Peaks or Silence of the Lambs.

It wasn't a serious question. I had already seen 2 episodes of TD so I know it's not Sherlock. I know it's not NCIS or Bones or The Mentalist either. No, I bought the series on Blu-ray because it's HBO and it had good word of mouth. And because it's HBO, it tells me that it's not going to be your average cop show.

Is it Twin Peaks? Nope. Besides being dark, Twin Peaks was also full of humor, craziness and light-heartedness.

Is it Silence Of The Lambs? Well, TD appears to be about a serial killer. And McConaughey, even though he's one of the good guys, is being interviewed. And just like with Hannibal Lecter, his character feels big, swollen and not belonging to this Earth.

But for know I have to say TD is mostly like Se7en and I like Se7en. The sombre tone, the grimness, the desolate landscapes, America is hell, ... McConaughey is the wise cop who lives alone and Harrelson is Brad Pitt, the guy who has to invite his partner for dinner with his family. True Detective could very well be a long David Fincher movie. (How our Joey must hate this show!)

Episode 3: I think the show just went from being a 7/10 show to a 8/10 show. McConaughey, especially during the interview (is he the new Daniel-Day Lewis?), is still somewhat distracting.

Alex

Yeah a few people here likened it to Se7en at the time, we discussed it a lot. I find it to be more like Silence of the Lambs. Maybe the obvious Twin Peaks comparisons will become more apparent to you later on.

I just started on The Wire. 3 episodes into the first season and I already think it's been pretty brilliant.

Alex, TD is similar Twin Peaks in the sense that it takes its time to unravel its layers and reveal what's underneath. On the surface, it looks like your typical, but bleaker cop show, but as the season progresses, it becomes so much more. Just like how Twin Peaks starts off like your typical soap, and then as you continue, you see there's something very different lying underneath.

I loved Twin Peaks when it premiered on TV but I also remember that the show was stalling after a while (during S2). To be honest, it's been too long ago, but I do recognize it as the blueprint for a lot of TV shows today.

Yeah, the second half of S2 really did stall, and was hard to sit through. But other than that, it stayed quite good.