Stefancos

True Detective

I'm politely interested.  Didn't watch season 2 at first because the cast (outside of Farrell) and log line didn't interest me.  Then I really didn't watch when the reception was so bad.  Ali is an incredibly talented actor, and hopefully Pizzolatto is back on track.

Season 2 is an OK 8 hours of television, but it's completely different from the cool and unique season 1 that actually brought something new to the game.  Season 2 is just kind of another serialized police procedural.  The Night Of was better (but still flawed)

I haven't watched the S3 trailer yet.  Is it about detectives solving connected murders again or something else? 

Sure, but the look and feel, the aesthetic he sets up in those 2 episodes will be replicated by the remaining directors of the season

True Detective 3x01 The Great War and Modern Memory

Well, that was a pretty good hour of television.  It's kind of funny how they clearly and purposely aped season 1's aesthetics as much as possible - 3 timelines, southern outdoorsy setting, largely in the past, the main detective character talking to the police about what happened, etc.  

But the similarities are basically just superficial like that, the actual plot is completely new.  I enjoyed the amount of mystery they setup and paid off within the episode, as well as the amount of mystery they setup to explore in future episodes.  Ali was great of course, Dorff was pretty good, Scoot was pretty good, basically just good acting all round (which was no surprise).  The mother of the missing children looked SO FAMILIAR to us; Marcy immediately though of Grace Gummer, the FBI Agent from Mr. Robot who is Meryl Streep's daughter.  Turns out this actress is not her... but is ANOTHER Meryl Streep offspring, Grace's sister Marie Gummer.  How about that.

Saulnier's directing was nice, some pretty cool shots (the foggy swamp, the underneath shot of the tower stairs, etc)

Definitely looking forward to the next episode!  The picture quality on Amazon IS OUTSTANDING, BTW, the best LOOKING show I've seen since Westworld.

It's set in Arkanas too, and boy they really show well what it's like with lots of gorgeous scenery shots.  It's a similar setting as Ozark just more the neighborhoods and woods than the lakes

Sadly Saulnier only directed the first 2 eps but hopefully his style is maintained by the subsequent directors

True Detective 3x02 Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye

Another good episode.  They are pretty much firing on all cylinders again, I'm loving the slow development of all three timelines and the character development that comes with it.

All I'm trying to figure out how is which ending they are going with

A) It's some minor character that we've already seen, probably in the town meeting

B) It's some character we won't see until episode 6 or 7, like season 1

C) The season will end without definitively saying who did it 

All possibilities are still open at this point for sure