What Film Composers Do You Dislike? Let The World Know Here!

Dixon Hill

So much hate! How can anyone stand against such reckless hate!???

Pointless thread is pointless?

I think there's a massive need for such a thread. We have polls on what composers are overrated, and there's no shortage of hate to be spewed in all directions for almost every composer out there. Why not have it all in one place?

It'll never work. The hate is strong in this place, it will always seep into every corner and crevass of this forum.

Your efforts are futile Pilgrim. Join us and fall into despair and reckless hate.

I see nothing wrong with this thread. It's just charting personal preference.

There are some composers I haven't been able to "get" yet -- like Desplat, Giacchino and Shore. Or among the dead guys, composers like Barry and Steiner, for example. My door is still open for all of these, but I would say it's a 90-10 percentage of dislike vs. like.

Then there is a long list of composers who are very "on/off" to me, meaning I can really like them one moment, but then really dislike them the next with almost systematic frequency. Ennio Morricone is such a composer. Patrick Doyle another. Several other examples too.

I'd love it if this thread absorbed most of the masturbatory down-talking of the usual suspects (Shore, Zimmer) that serves only to gratify the egos of those involved by assuring them of the veracity of their distaste.

I don't dislike composers but scores. Sadly there are too many scores I dislike from the past decade, most of them by composers who used to write very decent film music in the '90s and early '00s.

Hate's a strong word. If I had to choose a composer I dislike, rather than hate... man, that's a tough one. I guess I'll go with Zimmer post-2000.

As said, 'hate' is strong word but these composers do nothing for me or worse, grate on my nerves.

Trevor Rabin

Kevin Kliner

Brian Tyler

Steve Jablonsky

Tyler Bates

Christopher Beck

John Debney

Clint Mansell

Michel Rubini

Carmen Dragon

David Arnold is borderline, but is saved by a couple of good scores/cues.

I don't dislike composers but scores. Sadly there are too many scores I dislike from the past decade, most of them by composers who used to write very decent film music in the '90s and early '00s.

JNH?

Silvestri?

Almost all true, but Jackman DID show early promise with his sadly looooong forgotten Kick Ass score, which bordered on magical brilliance and was unheard of outside of LotR.

Like another bastard great white no-hope through, Jackman squandered his chances and soon opted to instead fit into the working man's mould as was asked of him and other integrity-less composers before him.

*shrugs*

Carmen Dragon

But the man could do a mean Christmas carol arrangement.

I'm quite pleased with how this thread is turning out. Come one, come all - bring your disapproving know-it-all-ness and tell us who just doesn't make the cut, who is unworthy of gracing your precious ears with their mediocrity! No no, don't bother making the same old points in every other thread. Do it here!

Film music sucks. All film composers are just talentless hacks of the greats, you know, the guys who wrote REAL music.

Every composer I've heard of seems to be very likable.

Bernard Herrmann seemed to suffer from anger issues, but that in a way made him charming.

Almost all true, but Jackman DID show early promise with his sadly looooong forgotten Kick Ass score, which bordered on magical brilliance and was unheard of outside of LotR.

Like another bastard great white no-hope through, Jackman squandered his chances and soon opted to instead fit into the working man's mould as was asked of him and other integrity-less composers before him.

*shrugs*

Integrity-less? So unemployment checks and integrity vs. loads of money and some conformity? What would you choose?

Whenever I hear any modern film music, I feel like that time traveler guy on TNG when he walks in on Data listening to a shitload of symphonic music simultaneously.

"WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS THAT?!"

Computer, eliminate program Zimmer 1.

*shrugs*

Integrity-less? So unemployment checks and integrity vs. loads of money and some conformity? What would you choose?

That's fine of course, so long as you don't ever expect to be considered an artist.

That just happens to be the nature of the industry. I can't think of any other art where the business and creative aspects are so woven together. You are hired for a specific purpose, and if your boss doesn't like what you're doing, you're out. I don't think that makes anyone less of an artist, if you compromise your personal vision for that of the person paying you to do what they want you to do. I'm sure every composer has been through it.

I don't think that makes anyone less of an artist, if you compromise your personal vision for that of the person paying you to do what they want you to do. I'm sure every composer has been through it.

Not Benny.

I don't think that makes anyone less of an artist, if you compromise your personal vision for that of the person paying you to do what they want you to do. I'm sure every composer has been through it.

Not Benny.

Hitchcock: "Well, come around when you get hungry."

Herrmann: "I’ll tell you something. When I get hungry, I go to Chasen’s."

As said, 'hate' is strong word but these composers do nothing for me or worse, grate on my nerves.

Trevor Rabin

Kevin Kliner

Brian Tyler

Steve Jablonsky

Tyler Bates

Christopher Beck

John Debney

Clint Mansell

Michel Rubini

Carmen Dragon

Can't say I've heard many of those composers' works, but Trevor Rabin was a much better "composer" when he was in Yes.

The old ways are gone. Zimmer and his MIDI keyboards have successfully snubbed out any hint of creativity there was left.

Gia still caries the torch for "good old fashioned" orchestral music, but he simply lacks the talent and finesse of the masters he chose to emulate.

*swigs from bottle*

Do you...remember Ricard. The 80's. The 90's. Every year you's get a new score from the likes of Silvesti, Goldsmith, Kamen, Poledouris...

*Belches*

Sure...not everyone of them was a new "The Final Conflict" or "Brazil", but they would put out consistently enjoyable works. Distinctive of the composers own personal style.

*Whipes face with sleeve*

In those days composers didnt try to all sound the same, or conform to a certain popular style. And they were real composers!

How the fuck do people like Henry Jackman or Ramin Djawadi get to do the big summer block buster scores that used to be done by people who's music had character...personality???

A Michael Kamen score.....

*swigs from bottle, booze goes into lungs, all but trows up*

A Michael Kamen score had a certain style. It was distinctly different from one written by Goldsmith, or Poledouris, Horner, JW etc. And Kamen's scores were recognizably his own. Sounding like Kamen, even if they were as different as Die Hard and The Three Musketeers are...you can hear the composers fingerprints.

*stares into screen for minutes*

That's what is missing these days!

A very strong candidate for the best post by Steef, ever. Laugh-out-loud funny.

Daft Punk?

Wha' ? :o "Tron: Legacy" was the best score of 2010.

Not Benny.

Every composer can't be Herrmann.

Trevor Rabin

Kevin Kliner (sic)

Brian Tyler

Steve Jablonsky

Tyler Bates

Christopher Beck (sic)

John Debney

Clint Mansell

Michel Rubini

Carmen Dragon

I'd agree with you on most of those, but Clint Mansell? Sure, he's written some bad scores (World Traveler, Knockaround Guys), but at his best (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Sahara), he's better than anybody not named Williams, Shore, or Horner working today. I've disliked most of Debney's work, but The Stoning of Soraya M was really good. Also, with some of his more recent stuff, Brian Tyler has started to show some promise.

A couple more names you could add to the list are John Murphy and David Wingo. I had insanely high hopes for Marc Streitenfeld after American Gangster, but he hasn't written anything that even qualifies as mediocre since. Additionally, I could probably write an extended essay about how I feel conflicted about Hans Zimmer.

Wow, I feel like I keep up to date with what's going on in the film score world, but I've never heard of David Wingo....

Wow, I feel like I keep up to date with what's going on in the film score world, but I've never heard of David Wingo....

He's done a bunch of small indie movies. All of his stuff is pretty much indie rock guitar+occasional piano. It's not necessarily bad music, just very forgettable.

Me neither.

Trevor Rabin

Kevin Kliner (sic)

Brian Tyler

Steve Jablonsky

Tyler Bates

Christopher Beck (sic)

John Debney

Clint Mansell

Michel Rubini

Carmen Dragon

I'd agree with you on most of those, but Clint Mansell? Sure, he's written some bad scores (World Traveler, Knockaround Guys), but at his best (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Sahara), he's better than anybody not named Williams, Shore, or Horner working today.

Sorry, but those scores are just not my cup of tea ('Lux Aeterna' is nails-on-a-chalkboard for me, and The Fountain is what imagine they pipe through PA systems in hell's waiting room, along with Elbow's One Day Like This and Barry Manilow Greatest Hits). I prefer Pop Will Eat Itself.

Not familiar with David Wingo, but Marc Streitenfeld and John Murphy are great picks.

Trevor Rabin

Kevin Kliner

Brian Tyler

Steve Jablonsky

Tyler Bates

Christopher Beck

John Debney

Clint Mansell

Michel Rubini

Carmen Dragon

Can't say I've heard many of those composers' works, but Trevor Rabin was a much better "composer" when he was in Yes.

Not a Yes fan as you know, but I agree.