Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

I bet Shore could really surprise us (again) if he landed a Star Wars film. And for anyone who doubts Powell could do a great job as well, check out "The Kill Ring" and "Ready the Ships" from the How to Train Your Dragon FYC.

This board will implode the day that happens.

But no, Shore wouldn't work either. Take out Doyle, Shore and Silvestri and you have a competent list Michael. Powell would definitely be am intriguing choice...not sure how that would play out though.

Why would you rule out Doyle, Silvestri and Shore?

Hey, this thread was not started by Mr Big!

Finders keepers!

I demand my authorship of this thread reinstated! Its existence, and its title, are mine!

Sorry, I moved a post Mr. Big made in the thread for Episode 7 into this thread, and it turned out he posted about this 2 hours before you did, so now he shows as the thread "creator"

How old are you, 5?

I'd say about two decades older than you mentally.

Corigliano doing Star Wars...mmmmmm....*mouth waters*

Not gonna happen.

Of course not. Since we're on a total dream page, I'd love to give John Adams a chance if I was in charge. Of course another matter is if he would even consider it...

Well I can't address that with the same level of certainty, but in his excellent autobiography he talks about his scoring experiences and says he feels he lacks any skill at it.

JLW: Could you have worked on, say, Twin Peaks, or 'sex, lies and videotape'?

JA: I don't know. I think most of the people who work in the film business do only that, living a life completely devoted to the realities and the rhythm of the industry. Someone like Danny Elfman, for instance, has had a huge success writing scores that are clever manipulations of the old formulas of film music with a few added borrowings from Bartok, Stravinsky or Prokofiev. The scores are recorded in zillion-channel mixes and then blasted through monstrous speakers at the audience along with bone-crunching sound effects. It's hard not to [be] overwhelmed in one way or another. But this is not an arena for real creativity, and that is a shame, because music and film are made for each other and ought to be able to achieve overwhelming aesthetic power. Economics, though, simply forbid it. It's not an exaggeration to say that television and comic books and popular iconography really run our cultural life. What comes out of official popular culture in the US, whether it's from Hollywood or the pop music and TV industry is absolutely, utterly corrupted.

He's become markedly less like his open minded, younger self in recent years.

Of course a lot of that is true, but the total dismissal of everything coming out of Hollywood as corruption is disturbing.

Also give a listen to his Rosenman recordings with the LA Philharmonic. He seems to at least have a soft spot for that little corner of Hollywood.

I think our collective assumption is that each new spinoff series will get their own opening fanfare. Constructing a new title sequence (they can always stick with the text crawl) with a new fanfare would be jarring, but necessary. The pressure on that composer is something I do not envy.

JNH would intrigue me. Desplat as well (the safe bet at this absurdly early point). Goldenthal would be creative choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Standalone movie.

It's still old news. I think the general assumption made when they announced that the films were being made in the UK would be that this would include the standalone films.

Really? The only thing that I see that could be wrong is the way it's worded: I seem to remember them saying "the Star Wars films" as opposed to "the Star Wars sequel trilogy" would be done in England.

Standalone movie.

If you knew the article was about the first standalone movie, then why'd you post it in the Episode 7 thread?

Regardless, moved posts to the right thread now

~~~

No surprise to me that the standalones will base their production in England like the main series is.

The common assumption is that they will use existing characters from the original movies to follow for these stand alone films to flesh out backstory, but I really wish they wouldn't tie them together like that.

Don't you think there would be an interesting "freshness" to this film if you didn't know anything about any of the characters going in? A relatively clean slate?. Start in a new era, either much earlier or much later, or in a completely different part of the universe (the thing is about 100 billion light years across, get creative!). There is so much to do with this setting only to see Boba Fett pop up.

• 4 months later...

He seems only slightly happy about the prospect too.

“I’m doing a fucking Star Wars movie, which is like – I don’t know about you but Star Wars is like my first film love, do you know what I mean?… Gareth is doing a standalone film. Of course I do know some specifics, but it’s obviously something I’ve signed my kidneys away for.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite right! I am absolutely livid at the lack of attention and respect given to treasured derivations written by huge SW geeks who are trying to make some money by taking creative licenses with the same and story that made billions for Lucas!! How dare they offend their absolute artistic integrity by disregarding them!

• 1 month later...

Aaron Paul to star as young Han Solo in Gareth Edward's Star Wars film?

It isn't even confirmed that the first spinoff film was about Han Solo; The last rumor was that it was a heist moving about the Bothans who stole the Death Star plans.

Me neither!

It's possible he's playing some other character. Most likely: A friend of Han's who dies before the end of the movie.