Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Aaron Paul to star as young Han Solo in Gareth Edward's Star Wars film?

It isn't even confirmed that the first spinoff film was about Han Solo;  The last rumor was that it was a heist moving about the Bothans who stole the Death Star plans.

Which Death Star? Two Death Stars, two sets of plans. Bothans were tied to the second station, but not the first...

• 2 weeks later...

Let the guy who's playing young Ford here do it:

Man, I never would have thought that Anthony Ingruber would make it to the big screen that fast, not to mention as a younger Ford double (which is probably the thing most people know him by on YouTube).

• 2 weeks later...

What I've heard is that it's a Bounty Hunter film which involves the plans to the first Death Star. Sounds more interesting than a Young Han Solo movie to me anyway.

I could see that working. Sabine could lead the group of bounty hunters who steal the plans to the first Death Star, which would support the other rumor that's been floating around. She could be leading the bounty hunters on behalf of the Rebels without abandoning the Rebels entirely. Interesting...

• 1 month later...

I guess we should expect a December/May tandem release for Star Wars titles until the end of time.

Is Gareth Edwards making Godzilla 2 as soon as he's done with this?

I think that's the plan. They already announced that he's signed on for the sequel.

Nah, they are still only releasing one Star Wars film a year. I betcha they will all be May after Episode 7.

Are you kidding? Williams is already writing the score and JJ wanted it to move it UP to THIS summer!

Are you kidding? Williams is already writing the score and JJ wanted it to move it UP to THIS summer!

That depends on what rumor you believe. There were two rounds of rumors that Abrams was pushing for a later May 2016 release due to script/production issues (around the time he came onto the project, and around the time that Ford hurt his leg). There was a more recent rumor that Abrams wanted to move it up to Summer 2015 (to avoid any further spoilers/leaks).

The marketing machine is in motion, and any significant move will derail publishing, toys, comics, miscellaneous branded products, etc. The movie will come out this December.

Nah, they are still only releasing one Star Wars film a year. I betcha they will all be May after Episode 7.

The article says Rogue One will be a December release.

So are we all still assuming they'll ditch the fanfare for the spin-offs? It's always such a special thing and I'd hate to see it reduced to "same old, same old" after opening all these Star Wars movies in a row....one after another, year after year...by Episode IX, even we'll be going:

What connection does Giacchino have to Gareth Edwards, or the Star Wars franchise other than Star Tours?

I wonder if Disney will ask Williams if he wants to score it. Maybe he'll get first pass on every film in the franchise until he retires.