Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

I guess they'll be honing some physical comedy slap-stick and punchy comedic one-liners for laughs in the reshoots. Perhaps some "An Ewok, a Gungan and a Jawa walked into a bar"-type of things too, to distract from all the blood and gore and dismemberments.

13 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

With a quirky Thomas Newman score 

Composed solely for marimbas and kazoos! Quirky extreme!

What is this obsession with every movie being tonally balanced?  It's fine if some are, but isn't it also ok for things to be serious for two hours without panicking executives craving a few cheap laughs?

1 minute ago, TheWhiteRider said:

What is this obsession with every movie being tonally balanced?  It's fine if some are, but isn't it also ok for things to be serious for two hours without panicking executives craving a few cheap laughs?

There is the fear of alienating some viewer demographic or another. Fear leads to panic, panic leads to meddling, meddling leads to suffering!

Disney: "Say, why are the X-Wing Fighters not bumping against the floor or the walls as they are flying? This is not Star Wars! Please do it again!"

I think they'd be worried about a dark, depressing film so soon after TFA went to such lengths to appeal to broad audiences.

It could inadvertently hurt VIII if they end up following TFA with something "unexpected", as silly as it sounds. You know there'll be those parents dragging along their 5 year olds to see this, unaware of the depressing storyline, and simply because of the STAR WARS text on the poster.

Everything in Hollywood is determined by focus groups and market forecasting these days. Oh yeah, and MERCHANDISE!

14 hours ago, Bill said:

SPOILER STATING THAT A CERTAIN CHARACTER WILL LIKELY APPEAR IN THE FILM INSIDE HIDDEN TEXT

Reveal hidden contents

I'm calling BS on this.  As

Spoiler

the movie takes place in the days leading up to the original Star Wars, the newly cast Han Solo in his mid-twenties won't really fit in.  Plus, he had no knowledge of the Death Star going into Star Wars, so how he would be involved in this in any substantial way just seems silly.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'm calling BS on this.  As

Reveal hidden contents

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Maybe in a not substantial way? Perhaps merely a cameo. 

HIDDEN TEXT CONTAINS DETAILS ON POSSIBLE CHARACTER CAMEOS AND SOME OTHER PLOT SPOILERS (I THINK THEY'RE FAIRLY MINOR, BUT USE YOUR BEST JUDGEMENT WHEN DECIDING WHETHER TO READ)

Spoiler

A March report from Making Star Wars (http://makingstarwars.net/2016/03/what-might-the-various-cameo-rumors-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-reveal-about-the-film/):

There’s a lot of interesting rumors about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in the cameo department. One of the things with Rogue One is that it has had a lot of writers and has had a lot of hands in the pot at this point. We don’t know what cameo they went with and what still needs to be filmed on that front. There’s a lot of assumption here based on the various cameo rumors that appear to have been pitches or in development, even while the cameras were rolling.

We have heard of a cameo moment that pretty much has Han Solo playing a BoShek type that simply refers the rebels to people to hire. There was a rumor that Jabba the Hutt brokered information to the rebels. That might explain the rumor that they wanted the young Han Solo role cast so he could have a cameo in Rogue One even though the Solo film will take place about eight years before Rogue One.

There was another rumor that most of the bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back appeared in the alternate to this sequence. That means Bossk, Dengar, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, and IG-88 along with a few bounty hunters from The Clone Wars. Boba Fett is also mentioned for this stuff and one description makes us think Cad Bane is included here.

A weirder rumor was that Yoda was part of the cameo segment on Dagobah itself. He doesn’t help them but sends them on their way.

Slash Film broke the story about the plot for Rogue One and when they did they stated: "The story follows a group of bounty hunters who were hired for the job." 

My thinking at this point is all of the cameos rumored or pitched pertained to the hiring of those bounty hunters. It seems like Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen are the two bounty hunters the rebels eventually hire based on the visual clues pertaining to their costumes. I think if these cameos are interchangeable, it would seem the cameo role is meant to light the way for the hiring of the bounty hunter mercenaries that are going to help the rebels obtain the plans to the Death Star.

It will be interesting to see what cameo ends up in the film (if any of them)!

By the way, Pablo Hidalgo, Lucasfilm Creative Executive, has hinted on Twitter that the reshoot direction came from Lucasfilm, and not higher up at Disney, and that things aren't as bad as some are making them seem. Don't have any specific tweets at the moment, though, sorry.

11 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

That really DOES sound like cameo overkill!

Well, MSW says they don't even know if any of those cameos will actually make it into the film! Some/all could have been just early ideas. 

Yeah, uh, this doesn't sound great. Lots of misleading information from both camps.

Has a very Alien Cubed stench about it; a director with a clear objective and a studio with a clear objective, yet neither are aligned. That Disney seem surprised they've got a gritty war film on their hands perplexes me; the filmmakers have been saying that publicly for a year.

Were they so busy with TFA they just weren't paying attention to how dark Edwards' film was becoming?

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That Disney seem surprised they've got a gritty war film on their hands perplexes me; the filmmakers have been saying that publicly for a year.

They've been saying it without really knowing what it means. And once they saw it, they freaked out.

TFA had three weeks of reshoots, as Deadline's Anita Busch points out.

And various articles say that Rogue One's reshoots are pretty significant, up to 40% of the film is being reworked. Hopefully the final film will be enjoyable, if not coherent.

I too am curious what Gareth's original rough cut is like, and hope the reshoots don't change the tone from something unique to another safe nostalgia trip like TFA.

22 hours ago, mstrox said:

Why movie reshoots aren't necessarily a bad sign

http://www.slashfilm.com/reshoots/

Off topic, but from that article:

E.T. originally died in that government test facility before test screenings convinced Steven Spielberg to go into reshoots and come out with the now-iconic ending.

Not sure if this is bullshit. I've never heard of it before, anyway.

It's bullshit. However, as was the case with another of my favorite films, Titanic, E.T. did have an atrocious alternate ending that was thankfully cut. In both cases, the closing minutes were saved!

16 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

E.T. originally died in that government test facility before test screenings convinced Steven Spielberg to go into reshoots and come out with the now-iconic ending.

I've never heard of it before.

Me neither, I was very surprised when I read that sentence of the article! I don't understand how that would have worked, though. Was the final chase shot entirely after test screenings? The chase is such a major and iconic scene, but I don't see how it could have been in the early cut if ET died in the house. Well, I like the way they decided to end it because it made for some great directing and scoring! 

16 minutes ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

E.T. did have an atrocious alternate ending that was thankfully cut. In both cases, the closing minutes were saved!

What was the real alternate ending?

I seem to remember that they only showed ET for like 2 screenings before Cannes and they both played like gangbusters. There was a story Spielberg told of the one in Texas, I think, where the audience wouldn't leave and started chanting for them to play it again.

32 minutes ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

It's bullshit. However, as was the case with another of my favorite films, Titanic, E.T. did have an atrocious alternate ending that was thankfully cut. In both cases, the closing minutes were saved!

Yeah right, when they show them hanging around the house the next night and the communicator's going off outside or something.

Probably would have had a cute version of the flying theme going out the window and then "the call" on the communicator with a nice sweet chord and a little ascending harp to fade out. Instead of the timpani thundering into the close-up of Elliott, which is one of the great pairings of a final shot with music, echoes of Gone With the Wind and 2001. Not to mention the glorious cut to black!

If Rogue One was going to be yet another slow, joyless, self-important, "dark," blockbuster film, thank goodness they're doing reshoots. Yes, it seems anti-creative to bring the film closer in line with The Force Awakens, but what if the studio is saving us from the next "Man of Steel"? Or maybe the movie was amazing, and Disney wants to ruin it. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume the worst.

I can't think of an example of studio interference being a good thing.  Seems very unlikely that this is Disney saving us from something.  It's Disney ruining something, if it's resulting in any significant change at all. 

once again, http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

a lot of this is been overblown as usual. whether or not this article is the result of studio damage control is up in the air but the fact their sources are more reputable and Christopher McQuarrie expressed via twitter his outrage of the bullshit its safe to say a lot of this is being fabricated.

EW has done this thing before, dispelling some of the happenings in the rumour mill so its not out of the ordinary.

basically there's no tonal change or studio interference, the insiders have expressed relief at there being a lack of meddling and say that making it feel more like Star Wars is pretty aesthetic stuff like "more scenes of people talking in a cockpit."

finally and most significantly, the 40% re-shooting is bullshit. it stands to logical reason (something I'm surprised more people didn't catch on) that if nearly half of the film was being re-shot then the release date would have to have been impacted.

read the article for yourself, not saying its completely truthful but its good to have both sides of the equation before making a judgment.

I'm sticking by Anita Busch's report about the Rogue One reshoots. Six weeks of reshoots, with filming six days out of the week, seem pretty significant to me.

Disney's not going to push the movie back either, they'll just pour more money to get it finished.

The plan now is to lock picture in mid-August and begin scoring the movie in September – which would actually be an earlier timeline than The Force Awakens, which also underwent several weeks of summer reshoots and locked picture in October.

Some interesting info from the EW article (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots) recently posted here. I assume by "scoring" they mean the recording sessions will begin in September. 

What exactly does it mean to "lock picture"? I looked online a bit but I'm still not entirely clear on what that term means.

Just imagine if they got cold feet about Desplat's score and asked Williams to step in?

I'm guessing he'd turn them down (if he hadn't already).

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

What exactly does it mean to "lock picture"? I looked online a bit but I'm still not entirely clear on what that term means.

It means no further changes can be made to the cut of the film, only audio changes and final special effects being put in.

Desplat scored Edwards' last film (Godzilla).  Williams was seemingly not interested, and may not even be interested in doing Episode 8 for that matter.