Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

On 8/9/2016 at 0:25 PM, mstrox said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/09/star-wars-rogue-one-riz-ahmed-rebel-pilot-empire-insignia

Interview with Riz Ahmed - EW is running Rogue One articles all week leading up to the new trailer.

He's one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but I've somehow not heard Ahmed's natural accent until now.  I'm so used to his American accent that it sounds like the British one is fake!

1 hour ago, chuck said:

Whitaker's look changed from the teaser to this.

Or maybe he changes his look during the course of the film?

18 minutes ago, publicist said:

Is this another 'rebels vs. death star' movie? Yawn.

It is actually "Rebels VS Death Star plans" movie.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Another reason why TFA shouldn't have had a Death Star though. Since its presence is hard wired into the plot of Rogue One.

Yeah. That was perhaps the weakest point of TFA. It actually forced the plot into the mold of the original movie the moment it was brought into the

story.

I am tentatively looking forward to seeing this one though. And hearing what Desplat can come up for it.

Just make smaller movies that dare to tell different stories. Hire good authors, preferably someone without a dog named Chewbacca, and let them do their thing and your franchise will have a much longer shelf life.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Just make smaller movies that dare to tell different stories. Hire good authors, preferably someone without a dog named Chewbacca, and let them do their thing and your franchise will have a much longer shelf life.

Yeah that sounds like a good way to go. Alas to many Star Wars will always have to be big and epic and "galaxy at stake" sized.

That is why you don't hand over your franchise to fan demands. Look at the images: no surprises anymore, it's the same ships, uniforms, situations. One big plus for me when i watched these movies with 15 was how different their locations and arcs were.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

That is why you don't hand over your franchise to fan demands. Look at the images: no surprises anymore, it's the same ships, uniforms, situations. One big plus for me when i watched these movies with 15 was how different their locations and arcs were.

Another droid that's calculating grim odds of survival?

Trailer looks ok, but there genuinly doesnt seem to be a single original idea in it.

Much like VII, all the action set-pieces seem to be located on ground or in the planet's atmosphere. Hey, it's called STAR Wars! We want to see STARS! :D;) 

I concur with what has been said up here. It looks genuinely well done, but I fear it's gonna be even more unashamed fan-service than Episode VII already turned out to be.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Another droid that's calculating grim odds of survival?

Trailer looks ok, but there genuinly doesnt seem to be a single original idea in it.

That's what droids do in Star Wars. Calculate odds and either act prissy or enormously resourceful.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

I'm not target audience but why have a whole galaxy at your disposal and the only story you ever come up with is 'destroy the death star'?

I blame TFA on this one rather than Rogue One. Big, big mistake.

I'm not sure I know anymore when I'm the target audience for anything.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Just watched it... genuinely looks great! :up:

5 hours ago, Richard said:

+ 1 Some absolutely gob-smacking moments!

Sure, but I bet you're only saying that because of the SW branding attached. Methinks if this was the trailer for some other sci-fi for some other universe the idly cynical internet would be typing a resoundingly typical "meh". 

"What's this? Looks like just another generic cgi space movie."

Disney only have to do half the work; the perma primed SW nuts do the rest. 

49 minutes ago, Brónach said:

You mean people would react negatively at an original space-action-adventure movie with Gareth Edwards and that cast and Desplat?

I think they'd act pragmatically and with reservation. But sure, there would be buckets of idle cynicism about it too, because that's the way it is now. Unless it's Star Wars: rebooted. In which case everything shown or glimpsed at is "amazing!" by default. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The most worthwhile films are those that aren't targeted at any specific group anyway 

Star Wars was targeted at kids. 

The Godfather was targeted at adults. 

Star Trek was targeted at everyone.