Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

So anyway I think the movie looks pretty decent, especially for a spin off. It seems to me though that at this point they are practically treating the Death Star as a returning integral main character of the series in itself, which is a bit daft really. That a space station seems to be rubbing shoulders with human actors, I mean. 

Will DS be on the red carpet this time? 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The most worthwhile films are those that aren't targeted at any specific group anyway 

I disagree. Films that are made with a real writer/director vision behind them only appeal to specific groups at first and may only later build a cult following. Yet these are generally the films JWFanners are more likely to praise in the long run. Films like the new Star Wars titles on the other hand, have the problem/benefit of being made by committee, causing them to target too many audience demographics and diluting whatever themes or messages the screenplay may have initially had.

30 minutes ago, amh1219 said:

I disagree. Films that are made with a real writer/director vision behind them only appeal to specific groups at first and may only later build a cult following. Yet these are generally the films JWFanners are more likely to praise in the long run. Films like the new Star Wars titles on the other hand, have the problem/benefit of being made by committee, causing them to target too many audience demographics and diluting whatever themes or messages the screenplay may have initially had.

They try to do everything at once and usually you can't do that. I loved Fury Road, I cried my eyes out with Song of the Sea, and after TFA ended I was just like "whatever".

Maybe I just prefer more focused/intense/distinct films, I dunno.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Really? 

Well I guess to a teenager it would.

All I'm saying is that I think I'll like the film a lot, and this trailer has made me much more excited for it. :)

7 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Sure, but I bet you're only saying that because of the SW branding attached. Methinks if this was the trailer for some other sci-fi for some other universe the idly cynical internet would be typing a resoundingly typical "meh". 

"What's this? Looks like just another generic cgi space movie."

Disney only have to do half the work; the perma primed SW nuts do the rest. 

The thing about that is generic CGI space movies push undistinctive designs whereas at the end of the day, Death Stars, Star Destroyers, X-Wings, AT-ATs and Darth Vader are fucking cool. I still have no idea what to think about the story and characters. This movie could be dull and the awesome visual scale empty and wasted in the end with no dramatic heft like so many other things. But I suppose if they're gonna ride on the back of giants, the least they can do is make everything look all sweet for the trailers. Death Star solar eclipse? Eh, come on, that's fun.

By the way, the NBC TV version of the trailer included credits in between the Vader shot and the December card. Notably:

- Music by Alexandre Desplat

- Story by John Knoll and Gary Whitta

- Screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy

George Lucas wasn't credited. 

Wait, do some of you guys think they are going to destroy another death star in Rogue One? Do you not know that this is about getting the plans that end up with Princess Leia at the start of A New Hope? No death star is being destroyed. The film ends 10/15 minutes before A New Hope starts. It's about how they got the plans to the death star to find it's weakness that they eventually exploit in A New Hope.

On the previous page someone said another rebels against the death star, and someone else echoed it. I think this film will be very different in feel and scope.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

All the members of the team will die during the mission, except one, who will manage to escape, but will be badly wounded. He/she'll give the plans of the Death Stars to a young woman, and say "You are our only hope" just before drawing his/her last breath. Then, someone will call the young woman: "Princess Organa, we must go now. The Empire is coming!". We'll then see the woman go on board the Tantive IV, and the ship taking off. Roll credits.

Brilliant!

I think we've got to give the folks who put together this trailer, and the other recent SW ones, a lot of credit. Some may view a trailer as simply an advertisement for the main event, yet it's clear to me that making a great trailer is an art form of its own. Regardless of the actual film's quality, this, like many other SW trailers and TV spots, was an excellent trailer. Trailers often just do their job to sell the film. But sometimes they rise above that. These SW trailers are emotional, exhilarating, and just flat out awesome -- they almost make you want to shout with joy. It must take quite an effort to produce the music and choose the dialogue and shots to make such a moving two or three minutes. This latest Rogue One trailer will increase my anticipation for the film, but it also serves as a piece of standalone entertainment that I have already revisited quite a few times.

35 minutes ago, Will said:

I think we've got to give the folks who put together this trailer, and the other recent SW ones, a lot of credit. Some may view a trailer as simply an advertisement for the main event, yet it's clear to me that making a great trailer is an art form of its own. Regardless of the actual film's quality, this, like many other SW trailers and TV spots, was an excellent trailer. Trailers often just do their job to sell the film. But sometimes they rise above that. These SW trailers are emotional, exhilarating, and just flat out awesome -- they almost make you want to shout with joy. It must take quite an effort to produce the music and choose the dialogue and shots to make such a moving two or three minutes. This latest Rogue One trailer will increase my anticipation for the film, but it also serves as a piece of standalone entertainment that I have already revisited quite a few times.

Overreaction much? The prequels had completely superior trailers. The people who put those together deserve credit.

I'll certainly admit that part of my love of them is simply that I'm a SW fan. Certainly, if these were trailers for some random movies I don't care about, I wouldn't like them as much. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Does anyone know when is the release date of the Blu-Ray of the trailer? Apparently, it'll include a making of the trailer, a documentary about the music of the trailer, a director's cut of the trailer, and a trailer for the sequel of the trailer. Instabuy for me!

Actually, that might be really interesting (minus the last thing ;)). 

It's an overload of familiar nostalgic imagery, but this stuff really doesn't do it for me anymore. To me, this looks like a movie version of the Battlefront series of video games.

1 hour ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Overreaction much? The prequels had completely superior trailers. The people who put those together deserve credit.

I didn't mean to compare these trailers to past SW ones, or even to the majority of films today (as I don't watch enough trailers to make such a determination).

I was very little when the prequels were released and haven't seen their trailers besides two for TPM -- which, btw, were good but inferior to the more recent ones IMO (although seeing them years after the film's release may have hurt their standing, if that makes any sense).

@Stefancos

In terms of films released today, what I can say is that most of the non-SW trailers I see are quite inferior to the current SW ones IMO.

On 8-8-2016 at 4:28 PM, Stefancos said:

He was great in the Prequels....really!

I liked him too in the Prequels, but to be honest, he didn't have the time or material to really shine or to be great. It was more like a nice cameo role. And even that is relative since you don't have to be really good to stick out in the Prequels. Know what I'm saying?

Alex

4 hours ago, king mark said:

So far it looks cooler than Episode 7, with a bigger scope

I just watched it and I agree. It looks like they want to do more than just nostalgia. I also like that girl more. It also feels more dark and gritty and that's always a good thing, right?

Less kiddie and more gritty! (patented)

I can't wait to hear what Desplat does. Will be fun to see how close he sticks to Williams' style, and which score (if any) he takes the most inspiration from.

I always got the feeling he was only scratching the surface of what he wanted to do with his Potter scores.

On 12/08/2016 at 11:56 AM, Lonnegan said:

Sure, but I bet you're only saying that because of the SW branding attached. Methinks if this was the trailer for some other sci-fi for some other universe the idly cynical internet would be typing a resoundingly typical "meh". 

"What's this? Looks like just another generic cgi space movie."

Disney only have to do half the work; the perma primed SW nuts do the rest. 

Point taken, Lee, but there are moments of genuine visual power in this trailer. Yes, I' m just a little clouded by the fact it is SW, but even though I don't like TFA, not one bit (yeah, shoot me now ;)) , R1 looks promising. Of course, it could be Disneyfied beyond belief, and I'll be the first to say so, if that's true.

Dark and gritty tends to be a recipe for terrible films as far as I'm concerned.

It can be made to work well, but that hardly ever seems to be the case.

(Instead you get stuff that is near black and white where either you can't see what's going on or that makes you want to kill yourself from their having all the fun sucked out.)

Here's to hoping Rogue One will break the mold and manage to be not kiddie, yet also not completely depressing.

Trailer looks cool, so they've got that going for them already!

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Dark and gritty tends to be a recipe for terrible films as far as I'm concerned.

To speak JWfan, the darker the Potter movies became, the better they were.