Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Huh. This is strange - but cool! Every time we think Lucas has no involvement in Star Wars anymore, something suggests otherwise. 

So apparently the falling out over TFA wasn't complete! That's a good sign. Hopefully he can at least consult a little more in the future and he and Lucasfilm/Disney can repair relations. He may executive produce on IJ 5 as well. 

It's weird...

The most unstarwarsy helmet...and it is a Lucas suggestion... It should had typical stormtrooper eyes or mouth, or variant of the scout trooper. I mean...suddenly there is so many variations while in the OT we only had TIE and ATAT pilots, sand and snow troopers,  what were just slight variations of the regular stormtrooper helmet.....

From my understanding, Lucas pretty much just visited Lucasfilm one day, saw that concept art and said it was cool, and they made sure to put it in the movie somewhere because he "endorsed" it. 

He provided one for his first film Monsters, and it was quite informative, so he's definitely no stranger.  Makes the lack of a track for Godzilla all the more frustrated.  Was really expected one for that release, but it's possible he was already too busy in pre-production for Rogue One.

Explanation of why there wont be deleted scenes in the DVD and blu-ray

http://movieweb.com/rogue-one-stars-wars-deleted-scenes-why-not-on-blu-ray/

LOL lame.

So darth vader trailer scene is just a few seconds long... And as if alternate scenes had never been released before...or with unfinished sfx...

Well, I mean, it does sound lame, but I could definitely understand if there was a desire on his part not to encourage judgements on cut scenes taken out of context, and nowhere near finished. Obviously we have no idea who even made the call on this, but I could see how people involved would be wary of encouraging wild speculation based off of "incomplete information." Obviously though that can backfire and people can think you're "hiding something." I am of course just speculating but that is a possibility. 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:18 AM, DominicCobb said:

From my understanding, Lucas pretty much just visited Lucasfilm one day, saw that concept art and said it was cool, and they made sure to put it in the movie somewhere because he "endorsed" it. 

Ah, yes, that's probably it. I doubt he was involved beyond that. Still cool though!

Edwards says as if the cutting room floor was just filled with trimmed (a few film frames) footage (from scenes INCLUDED in the final film).

On a sidenote the article says that the trailer TIE fighter shot was part of the film, but got scrapped early on, not just a trailer addition. Or i read it wrongly...

Has this been mentioned?

@BloodBoal, you might be interested.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/gareth-edwards-on-why-there-are-no-deleted-scenes-on-the-rogue-one-blu-ray-and-the-alteranate-ending.html

Gareth Edwards: I think the main thing that changed at the end…what used to happen, and you can get a sense of this in the early trailers, the transmission tower for the plans was separate from the main base on Scarif. To transmit the plans, they had to escape and run along the beach and go up the tower. In cutting the film, it just felt too long. We had to find ways to compress the third act, which was quite long as it was. And one real, fast, brutal solution was to put the tower in the base, so they don’t have to run across the beach and do all of that stuff to get there. That became a decision that eliminated the shots you see in the trailer of the back of Cassian and Jyn and the AT-ATs. That was some of the reinvention that happened. It was all to do with compression.

There Was Yet Another Ending Planned for Rogue One and It Was Absolutely Insane

This headline sounds like an exaggeration but I can promise you that it is not. 

Keep in mind that those endings would never have been filmed, unfortunately -- only conceived by John Knoll in the very early story phase. 

It would have been so awesome to see Coruscant (or at least its surroundings), though (aside from the tiny view in the flashback, of course). Man. And blowing up their ship so they couldn't be tortured for intelligence could have been a really, really powerful moment.

The second ending listed is pretty weird (except for the interesting double agent idea), and would almost have seemed like just a lame way for Lucasfilm to keep the characters for later works while satisfying the problem of them not appearing in the OT. But the first ... well, that could have been really awesome. It would have messed with the structure a bit, though, since the Scarif battle is a natural climax and having a longer epilogue section could definitely mess with the pacing. Still though....

Also:

A 'Star Wars' fan spliced the end of 'Rogue One' with the beginning of 'A New Hope'

This is kind of an obvious thing to do but it is still pretty awesome. They do flow very well. I remember when I watched the film I was very confused when Vader showed up because the continuity didn't make any sense to me (I thought they were on the Tantive IV at the time; obviously within a few minutes things were straightened out when the Tantive broke off from the main ship). Haha. But now it all seems perfectly natural, of course. 

Another cool thing about this video is that it looks as if some folks have gotten their hands on the home video release already. First time I've seen high quality footage since December 17!

2 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

The answer is right on when he says he thinks Jedha was influenced by Nazi-occupied France during World War II. The concept art book does indeed say that was one of the major influences in the depiction of how "war-torn" the once-beautiful city had become. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Empire/USA comparison is as old as the franchise is. Jedha is more likely to be a Tatooine like name reference than a political comment on Afghanistan etc etc.

It's Disney, they arent ever gonna go there.

LOL yeah. 

Krennic being killed by his own passion project is a cool idea but when that project is a giant planet destroying super laser it's a bit... eh.

I just thought of something:

At the end of the film, when Jyn transmits the plans, for a second time, right after Cassian kills Krennic...

She doesn't know the shield is down, does she? So she doesn't know if the plans actually reached the command ship, correct? It's all hope, right? 

I believe Cassian says right after it, "Do you think someone is listening?" which would support them not knowing. 

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I just finished watching the movie.

It ends like that? LOL!

It is a little abrupt, unless you really get an enormous kick out of the Vader scene and it can act as the "awesome climax" (I did not, at any rate).

Just now, Will said:

It is a little abrupt, unless you really get an enormous kick out of the Vader scene. 

Of course not.

I'm not really sure if they could have done a better ending, though. The point they were in for the story wasn't great. 

I think perhaps the reason it feels "abrupt" is the lack of any sort of calm dénouement/reflection (and, no, Leia saying "Hope" doesn't count), even if the overall story wasn't quite over -- which we had in ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TPM, and ROTS (AOTC is arguable, perhaps), as well as TFA. 

At the same time, I guess this underscores the very nature of the Rebellion -- not much time for reflection, just for action. Things move fast. It does kind of add to the tragic nature of the ending.

That said, though, Bespin, I do agree as I said that it did feel like something was missing at the end. 

For having a "kick" in a movie, I need three things: a good director of photography, a good script and good actors.

Cinema changed.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So...after rogue one..."A New Hope" is Luke Skywalker or a datadisc with the death star plans?

The new hope is indeed R2-D2.

On 1-4-2017 at 8:45 PM, Will said:

I just thought of something:

At the end of the film, when Jyn transmits the plans, for a second time, right after Cassian kills Krennic...

She doesn't know the shield is down, does she? So she doesn't know if the plans actually reached the command ship, correct? It's all hope, right? 

I believe Cassian says right after it, "Do you think someone is listening?" which would support them not knowing. 

Indeed she didn't know. She just believes that someone WAS listening.

When watching the movie I asked to myself why all the Mon Calamari (the Admiral Ackbar species) of the movie are white? They all looked like dead fishes!