• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
nightscape94

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

2460 posts in this topic

The dude got his start directing American Pie!

Is that any weirder than the dude who got his start with Little Miss Sunshine getting a crack at the main series?

I could see that working. Sabine could lead the group of bounty hunters who steal the plans to the first Death Star, which would support the other rumor that's been floating around. She could be leading the bounty hunters on behalf of the Rebels without abandoning the Rebels entirely. Interesting...

I'm bummed about this, not in any way due to Felicity Jones, but just because it's not Tatiana Maslany as had been rumored.

Is Gareth Edwards making Godzilla 2 as soon as he's done with this?

I guess we should expect a December/May tandem release for Star Wars titles until the end of time.

Is Gareth Edwards making Godzilla 2 as soon as he's done with this?

I think that's the plan. They already announced that he's signed on for the sequel.

Nah, they are still only releasing one Star Wars film a year. I betcha they will all be May after Episode 7.

Are you kidding? Williams is already writing the score and JJ wanted it to move it UP to THIS summer!

Are you kidding? Williams is already writing the score and JJ wanted it to move it UP to THIS summer!

That depends on what rumor you believe. There were two rounds of rumors that Abrams was pushing for a later May 2016 release due to script/production issues (around the time he came onto the project, and around the time that Ford hurt his leg). There was a more recent rumor that Abrams wanted to move it up to Summer 2015 (to avoid any further spoilers/leaks).

The marketing machine is in motion, and any significant move will derail publishing, toys, comics, miscellaneous branded products, etc. The movie will come out this December.

Nah, they are still only releasing one Star Wars film a year. I betcha they will all be May after Episode 7.

The article says Rogue One will be a December release.

Rogue One? Should've been Rogue Four.

They're keeping that for the title of the first film in the second spin-off trilogy.

So are we all still assuming they'll ditch the fanfare for the spin-offs? It's always such a special thing and I'd hate to see it reduced to "same old, same old" after opening all these Star Wars movies in a row....one after another, year after year...by Episode IX, even we'll be going:

What connection does Giacchino have to Gareth Edwards, or the Star Wars franchise other than Star Tours?

I wonder if Disney will ask Williams if he wants to score it. Maybe he'll get first pass on every film in the franchise until he retires.

What connection does Giacchino have to Gareth Edwards, or the Star Wars franchise other than Star Tours?

None, but he's a big name in the film music industry, many people call him the next John Williams (deservingly so or not, that's a different matter entirely), he has already scored two big sci-fi operas successfully... I don't know, I just find him to be a more likely candidate than Desplat (even though Desplat did score Edwards' last film, yeah).

he has already scored two big sci-fi operas successfully...

Poor choice of words... both bombed. ;)

Karol

What do we think the chances are that Disney / Kennedy / Edwards ask JW if he wants to score this film?

I'm a lot more confident in this film, based on the title. It doesn't sound like a Han Solo or Fett film, so I'm game.

Giacchino seems the most obvious choice--he's an Academy Award-winning composer writing symphonic scores in the style this kind of film requires.

Desplat is probably high on the list because he's the No. 1 film music superstar at the moment, he can write an old-fashioned symphonic kind of score and he worked already with the director.

I'm not saying there isn't anyone else able to tackle such an assignment as successfully (there are others, of course), but my bet is that it will be probably a big name.

What do we think the chances are that Disney / Kennedy / Edwards ask JW if he wants to score this film?

Probably they will ask him, I guess. However I believe he's gonna score only the sequel trilogy and let other composers step in for the spin-off movies. He will be probably asked about who he would recommend, like he did for Superman IV and Jurassic Park 3.

I heard Danny Elfman needs some money. ;)

Karol

:lol:

I don't think so. He'll be busy enough with all of Spielberg's projects and the main trilogy.

Maybe he'll get first pass on every film in the franchise until he retires.

That would be the dream scenario!