Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Bring it on. Never expected Johnny and I'm perfectly content with him just doing the main series. I don't really have any interest or expectation for the spin-offs at all, so the whole fun of it for me is to hear what another composer could bring to Star Wars, without having to worry so much about the continuity.

This is one of the good things about these spin offs, top hear other composers' take on this universe. Williams, as long as he is able, will score the main trilogy, I'm sure

I suspected that the spin-off were to be scored by an other composer than John Williams and it's okay.

I still wonder about the relevance of these spin-off, this choice may confirm that they will not be for me!

138994-obi-wan-kenobi-Im-getting-to-o-BW

I have no interest in this film (or The Force Awakens, for that matter). But wouldn't mind hearing some Star Wars music from Monsieur Desplat. He's always cited the original 1977 score as a major influence on him so it's great to see him make his mark in this world. I'm pretty sure he's well excited for this.

Karol

Desplat seemed an obvious choice.

Giacchino must be feeling a little down about missing the gig though, but I guess Kathy Kennedy is giving her directors a certain degree of pull in the crew they want (barring the main stories, it seems, where Williams has first right of refusal).

I just hope they are all 'forced' to honor the broad melodic lines and don't make this into another monochromatic blockbuster sound (if there are no Williams themes for this specific part of the universe).

I just hope they are all 'forced' to honor the broad melodic lines and don't make this into another monochromatic blockbuster sound (if there are no Williams themes for this specific part of the universe).

Well, they might be forced to honour prequel sound, too. Is that still good enough for you? ;)

Karol

Well, they might be forced to honour prequel sound, too. Is that still good enough for you? ;)

Karol

I guess so....i can delete the action music.

Ha!

So it's possible we'll have Episode 7's score be by John Williams but not the LSO, and then the first spinoff the LSO but not John Williams :P

I hope Desplat can unleash himself fully on this score and make some thunderous music! And hopefully with LSO! :)

Truth to be told, it's exactly the thunderous music i dread the most... :whistle:

Too prissy?

I wonder if Williams was even asked to score the spinoff

I mean seriously, what is this question?

Why bother asking the best, and famous composer around who (just by accident) happened to have scored all seven starwars films. Ever heard of professional courtesy? Even if the composer of such a long franchise sucked they would have asked him.

I don't think Williams generally agrees to do any project this far in advance of its release date (18 months). He might have said he couldn't commit to it until he saw a rough cut, and Edwards might have wanted a composer signed on before then

Truth to be told, it's exactly the thunderous music i dread the most... :whistle:

Indeed!

Why bother asking the best, and famous composer around who (just by accident) happened to have scored all seven starwars films. Ever heard of professional courtesy? Even if the composer of such a long franchise sucked they would have asked him.

Oh please.

Williams could have made it clear he was only interested in doing the main trilogy (and possibly only the first film of the trilogy) and nothing else. Williams expressed interest in TFA about 2 years ago and before he was officially announced to score.

Technically, there will be 8 Star Wars films by the end of the year... The Clone Wars got a theatrical release and, therefore, is considered a Star Wars film.

Very interesting about Desplat getting the gig. His overall sound is definitely more "Star Wars" than Giacchino's, even if his melodies aren't all that memorable. I predict a score that will, at the very least, serve the film well and fit comfortably within the existing Star Wars soundscape. Whether it'll be anything I want to listen to on its own remains to be seen.

His overall sound is definitely more "Star Wars" than Giacchino's

Hmmm, you really think so?

I hate to say it - I really enjoy some of his music, and from what little personal interaction I've had with him, he seems like a great guy - but I agree.

Part of it is just the way their scores tend to be recorded and mixed. Desplat's HP scores (my main point of reference withim, I admit) have a polished, modern, clear-but-not-dry sound to them that's pretty similar to the way Williams' scores have tended to sound since the early 90s. Giacchino favors a drier, dirtier, smaller sound that works well in certain contexts...but it doesn't sound like Williams. In terms of their approaches to composition and orchestration, neither composer is especially similar to Williams, but I'd say Desplat is closer here, too.

Those Giacchino recordings are a thing of the past, now that Dan Wallin has retired. His scores recorded by Joel Iwataki (Star Trek Into Darkness, Dawn of the POTA, Jupiter Ascending) sound much better.

I admit I haven't heard the latter two, Jay, but to my ear, STID still sounds pretty consistent with Wallin's approach. I suspect that some of it is just inherent to the way Giacchino writes, but I couldn't feel too certain about that unless I heard, say, one of his compositions recorded by the LSO with Williams supervising.

With Di$ney milking their new cashcow for all its worth in the next years, pretty much any halfway established composer could get near this franchise. I mean, Hans, welcome to the ST universe....One of his pet directors will do a STAR WARS film at one point, no?

Too prissy?

See me regularly excising all the action music from recent releases because they offer nothing than aural stress and seldom feature any throughline. Thank you, i listen to CAPRICORN ONE instead, 20 minutes of action music and i still find something new everytime i listen to it.

Zimmer, Powell, JNH. They're hit and miss like anyone else, but less so than anyone else writing regularly. They're the only ones who seem able to not get locked into repetitive patterns that shift up a fourth or something every 8 bars while they figure out what the hell to write next. There's Shore, but I wouldn't say he writes regularly. Desplat and Giacchino still have harmonic shackles to break out of.