• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
nightscape94

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

2460 posts in this topic

Finally saw the film.  I was not impressed. It felt like any blockbuster from the last 10 years with SW background characters--so freaking formulaic in both execution and dialogue.  Say what you will about Lucas's writing, it never sunk to the level of "rebellions are built on hope" set up and then repeat by the main character after she has committed herself to the cause. What is this, Transformers? 

Also the space battle was pure ROTJ, down to the admiral and his ship. 

As for the score, I think had Gia not already done ST, I would have found it good. But now is just sounds like ST with the SW themes thrown in. 

Sharky and Disco Stu like this

There was definitely a bunch of "Screenwriting for Dummies"/Robert McKee bullshit in there, I gotta agree.

Just watched the "Battle of Scarif" fan edit (http://www.maple-films.com/rogue-one-fanedit), which basically only has the final battle. It adds several famous Williams cues as well. It was a pretty fun watch, although I still overall find the final battle pretty boring. My favorite bit was how they opened with the Mustafar scene with Williams' AOTC Kamino arrival music playing. Awesome!

Yeah, I saw that edit too. Of course, I prefer the full version of the movie, but the first two acts of the film feel so disjointed and aimless, and feebly attempt to introduce expendable characters you never get emotionally attached to in the end. The rousing third act somewhat makes up for the pointless wandering of the beginning of the film.

I never really understood what was so special about the final battle in R1. Sure, it was fun, but it felt too much like a Hoth/Endor mashup on steroids. The movie itself is 100% fan service anyways, as enjoyable as it may be.

It's was an entertaining distraction at the cinema. But nothing beyond that.

My wife isn't a Star Wars person (much to my dismay), but she cried through the end of the movie BECAUSE she cared about the new characters.

FWIW.

It was sooo emotional!

The film wasn't nearly as character-driven as it was plot-driven. The main leads were merely one-dimensional cardboard cutouts that are swept along with the story.

Come on, guys. It's Star Wars Battlefront: The Movie and we all know it.

Fan service bullshit.

Pieter_Boelen likes this

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Come on, guys. It's Star Wars Battlefront: The Movie and we all know it.

Fan service bullshit.

Point well made. Except for the "bullshit", because I do quite like the movie. :P

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

The film wasn't nearly as character-driven as it was plot-driven. The main leads were merely one-dimensional cardboard cutouts that are swept along with the story.

I honestly don't think they could afford to to give the characters a lot of depth.

You either do that and keep them alive OR you kill them and don't give them a lot of depth.

Doing anything else would result in a film that would NOT be kid-friendly enough for Star Wars.

That would have caused backlash from parents at best and substantially reduced revenue at worst.

Of course that doesn't make it the right choice to make "the best movie possible".

Probably they could have made a critically better movie by going down a different path.

But that path would have been substantially less profitable, so at the very least I do understand why they did what they did.

And given the constraints they were given (e.g. to make profit), I reckon they struck the balanace relatively well.

Not perfectly, but still...

On 5/8/2017 at 0:52 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

I honestly don't think they could afford to to give the characters a lot of depth.

You either do that and keep them alive OR you kill them and don't give them a lot of depth.

Doing anything else would result in a film that would NOT be kid-friendly enough for Star Wars.

That would have caused backlash from parents at best...

What are you talking about?  Are you saying all movies with character depth are inappropriate for kids? 

And I don't see how this is an either/or situation.  The characters could have depth and still die. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

What are you talking about?  Are you saying all movies with character depth are inappropriate for kids? 

And I don't see how this is an either/or situation.  The characters could have depth and still die. 

I'm saying that if you give the characters a lot of depth and make them very likeable, their deaths have a larger impact.

Of course the characters could have depth and still die. That would just result in a lot of shocked kids left in the cinema.

My brother didn't quite appreciate it even in its current (relatively low-impact) form;

I shudder to imagine how he would've responded if he had gotten more attached to those characters!

So they could have worked more on the characters and give the film a higher impact.

But if they had, they would have had to issue a warning to go with the movie and, possibly, even advertise it to a different audience.

That would have limited the film's exposure and may have alienated  one of the primary fanbases.

Would it have made for a better movie? Possibly yes. In fact, probably yes. But I can understand why they decided against it.

It was the wisest choice from an economic point of view, if not an artistic one.

Given the constraints of being "as economically viable as possible", I reckon they did relatively well.

Oh no! We can't have children experiencing EMOTIONS while watching movies! They might grow up to not be sociopaths!

You wouldn't make a kid watch Saving Private Ryan on their 12th, would you?

Likewise with a similar film set in the Star Wars in universele.

Sure, there can be some. But a balance needs to be struck, which slides further towards "inoffensive" as the audience gets younger.

Star Wars' youngest fans are pretty young, as I witnessed first hand in the cinema.

So the film makers have to take that into account, whether you like it or not and whether it makes the film better or not.

The profit margins demand it.

Of course that is not necessarily a good thing; probably even the opposite.

But it is true nonetheless.

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

There are better movies to show your kid than Saving Private Ryan. Or Rogue One. 

I'm certain of it! But the kids themselves do want to see Star Wars, no? :P

And who is Disney to deny them when the kids bring in money through their parents?

I saw that... clearly a genuine reaction and not overdone as hell... clearly...

Reminds me of those articles written by overly proud parents who create an exaggerated transcript of their children's 'commentary' and reactions to The Empire Strikes Back. Oh yeah it sounds totally real.