Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

8 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I don't mean to disparage your enthusiasm Richy, I hope it's brilliant ;)

Well, me, too, son. Yeah, me, too.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Or romantic comedies with Owen Wilson! (I'm sooo tired of him)

To speak JWfan, I hope he never gets a role in Star Wars!

I hope he never gets another role, period. There are soooo many "actors", and "musicians" that I wish the world would just forget about.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

To speak JWfan, the darker the Potter movies became, the better they were.

Not for me they didn't. Darkness for darkness' sake is unbelievably boring.

I've seen older movies that in their own way were pretty dark.

Didn't mean that every single thing about them needs to be dark to the point that there's no fun and no light.

What is interesting about a film that is pure dark with no contrast?

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Stefancos said:

John Knoll certainly worked his way up though.

This was an idea that Knoll thought up for Lucas' live-action series, but then it didn't fit in with the timeline.  When Knoll heard about stand-alone Star Wars movies, he ran this up the chain to Kathy Kennedy.  So he's an exec producer because he brought the film to the company, but I don't expect him to be listed as a producer on other Star Wars joints.

The last Potter film was so literally dark that the epic final battle looked like white spots on a black background.

Couldn't even make out what was going on. That is the very opposite of epic.

Anyway, it is no secret that I am a massive opponent of this "modern movie syndrome" where everything is dark and gritty for the sake of being dark and gritty.

I don't like that style of movie one bit.

I lost interest in that basically as soon as it started and I've been waiting with tremendous anticipation for it to finally end.

That time cannot come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

The recent movies I like most are the ones where this "modern movie syndrome" is averted.

Movies like Jurassic World and The Jungle Book have been some of the few to break the mold.

But in general, modern movies don't excite me as much for this very reason.

That being said, they have the chance with Rogue One to take those elements of "dark and gritty" that ARE good and fit them into the Star Wars universe.

Could make for quite an interesting combination and I'm looking forward to find out how well they'll succeed.

The visuals look pretty cool so far and don't seem to be needlessly dark for darkness' sake.

If they dare to actually have the occasional bit of fun in there, this has every potential to be the "dark and gritty" interpretation that I've been waiting for.

In other words: A film where its darkness and grittiness contributes to its coolness, instead of the opposite.

I'm sure that *can* be done. It just doesn't happen very often.

Here's to hoping Rogue One will be the exception!

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The recent movies I like most are the ones where this "modern movie syndrome" is averted.

Movies like Jurassic World and The Jungle Book have been some of the few to break the mold.

But in general, modern movies don't excite me as much for this very reason.

But Jurassic World is, like, extremely terrible.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No it isnt. it's just utterly "meh" like almost all of these continuations of franchises from the 80's, 90's and 00's.

But at least TFA didn't have me yawning. TFA is not imaginative, but the lack of creativity in Jurassic World reaaaally bothers me.

Jurassic World was very, very stupid.

And it doesn't hold a candle to the original; not even close.

But I still found it more likable than most other movies being churned out these days. At least it was fun and not depressing.

It could easily have been far better. But for what it was, it wasn't too shabby at all.

As for TFA, I put that one relatively on par with Jurassic World as far as approach goes.

Probably a bit better, but completely "Playing it Safe: The Movie".

Neither is particular inspired. But I prefer them to most other recent movies!

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

But at least TFA didn't have me yawning. TFA is not imaginative, but the lack of creativity in Jurassic World reaaaally bothers me.

TFA is one of the few good ones. Fury Road is the only one that's truly excellent though.

Ghostbusters, Terminator Genysis, Jason Bourne, The X-files, probably Twin Peaks all "meh"

I don't watch enough new movies to make correct comparisons here, or at least not Hollywood blockbusters.

But I did like Fury Road. It's not perfect, but it's far from autopilot cinema.

(I've moved my general interest in sci-fi and fantasy back into reading, because cinema and TV don't really give you many options...)

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Most of those are "meh" too, or I'm just getting old.

Blockbusters? Under a bit of perspective, things are probably better than back in the nineties. Methinks Internet word of mouth might have something to do with it, but who knows...

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Guys he's talking about LOTR, AI, and Interstellar, is it really that hard to figure out

To be fair, I've probably been very unclear and subtle about my taste for those!

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

I hardly remember anything. I remember seeing Disney movies.

Well, the 90s saw the last of the great Disney hand-animated classics. 2000s were pretty much tripe and it's when they ditched the hand-drawn animation altogether so it's not a time I'm fond of that particular era (Pixar was still pretty good for the most part though). Of course, the end of the 90s saw the temporarily-triumphant return of Star Wars after over a decade-and-a-half (I say temporarily because a lot of people got lost in the hype for Episode I and only after some time did they figure out it wasn't as great a movie as they thought)

9 hours ago, Gistech said:

Well, the 90s saw the last of the great Disney hand-animated classics. 2000s were pretty much tripe and it's when they ditched the hand-drawn animation altogether so it's not a time I'm fond of that particular era (Pixar was still pretty good for the most part though). Of course, the end of the 90s saw the temporarily-triumphant return of Star Wars after over a decade-and-a-half (I say temporarily because a lot of people got lost in the hype for Episode I and only after some time did they figure out it wasn't as great a movie as they thought)

Apparently I saw The Phantom Menace in theaters, although I don't remember the experience.

I think the earliest film I saw in theaters was Quest for Camelot, at five.

The earliest movie I remember seeing in theaters is Aladdin, so November '92.  I remember because the sand tiger scared the holy shit out of me and my dad had to take me out of the theater.