Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Clickbait or is the film in trouble?

Disney execs in a panic over upcoming Star Wars film.

http://pagesix.com/2016/05/30/disney-execs-in-a-panic-over-upcoming-star-wars-film/

Oh goodness. Hard to know whether this is true, though. Weren't there rumors that this film already had a writer come in to "fix" the script because LFL didn't think it was good enough?

Well, we now have confirmation from a reliable source about the re-shoots:

http://deadline.com/2016/05/star-wars-rogue-one-re-shoots-no-test-screening-release-date-1201765101/

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, directed by Gareth Edwards, will definitely be undergoing re-shoots just as Star Wars: The Force Awakens did before it was released as well as Paramount’s next installment of Star Trek. 

to clarify, there were no test screenings and rather a re-shoot decision was made after Disney suits and producers watched the initial cut of the highly anticipated film.

According to sources, the first cut was lacking the edge that Force Awakens had and the story needs to jell. The film’s release date (December 16) will not be impacted, according to one insider (and with Comic-Con fast approaching hopefully the studio may be able to tease their fans with at least a little something).

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Force Awakens....edge?

It was the rap underscore, I penetrated me like the force itself!

EDIT: IT penetrated me like the Force itself..... HONESTLY!!! One aught to spell check!

34 minutes ago, ocelot said:

I penetrated me like the force itself!

You don't have to say yes to yourself, you know. It can still be rape. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Exactly what I said.  And it confirms my first instinct that this is studio meatheads making the film probably less good than it is.

On 5/29/2016 at 8:59 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Thank ya kindly, gents!

While it would indeed be a ton of work to try and make it entirely black, here's some idea of what it'd look like entirely white: 

Reveal hidden contents

On 5/29/2016 at 4:52 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Does look quite clean like that. But not very "starry".

That first one looks more artistic/creative to me.

Really? I think it's pretty much perfect. I mean, you could center the image on that white background (and I did), but trying to inject stars into everything isn't my idea of creative.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A ridiculous descriptor to be sure. I'm not gonna let me hopes for this movie be dampened just yet though.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Exactly what I said.  And it confirms my first instinct that this is studio meatheads making the film probably less good than it is.

They licked blood on Abrams' monster success. How that now translates into cloning 'all the stuff that made TFA so successful' is everybody's question. More BB8?

4 hours ago, WojinPA said:

You don't have to say yes to yourself, you know. It can still be rape. 

Never! Force Penetration is the best. It can happen in your sleep too, no fuss no muss, no mess, no fess

Gotta wonder if this is merchandise related. The tone they were meant to be going for was very dark; maybe they're having cold feet now they've seen the film assembled?

It didn't strike me as anything close to the more light-hearted "family friendly" adventures that comprise the Episode films.

Especially when you have to assume the ending of this film is dark and depressing, based on how IV begins.

Reshoots happen on every big movie these days, and yes, they are designed to make a movie better.  The filmmakers probably had their own notes on what they needed to change/add, and then their bosses probably gave them some more notes.  The reports of "panic mode" are to give websites clicks, so I'd encourage you not to bother clicking at this point.

The Force Awakens had big reshoots - here is something from Oscar Isaac on the reshoots, from just a few weeks ago.

Isaac is in the movie's opening scenes, and his loose, jazzy dialogue was the first, highly welcome clue that these new films would be more human in tone than George Lucas' prequels. All of the funny lines – including one about Poe being unable to hear Adam Driver's Kylo Ren through his helmet, and the "who talks first" exchange – were added in reshoots, and Isaac improvised some of them. He's always pushing to complicate and deepen Poe, who started as little more than a charming archetype. "We're making shit up as we go," he says.

TFA also had a major course correction after Ford's on-set injury.

It's perfectly understandable that after a shoot you compile a rough cut and see what works and what doesnt. It's very often part of the creative process of film making. Things that seem fine in the script don't come across right when filmed. Or certain performances gave a different dimension to a character then anticipated etc etc..

There's no indication this film is in trouble unlike...let's say...Fantastic Four from last year.

Yeah, not worried. Reshoots happen. The film will end up being a good time, though it won't do as well in the box office as TFA, and the reaction from fans and critics will be a little less passionate.

Star Wars possibly. It's actually quite an underwhelming box-office year. Very little to actually look forward too. Rogue One will do very well.

Nothing much is actually left of 2016, the year that would break Hollywood.

There are plenty of 2016 movies that will make a shit ton of money ($500 Million + worldwide)

01-29 Kung Fu Panda 3

02-12 Deadpool

03-04 Zootopia

03-25 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
04-15 The Jungle Book
05-06 Captain America: Civil War
05-27 X-Men: Apocalypse

05-27 Alice Through The Looking Glass

06-17 Finding Dory

06-24 Independence Day; Resurgence

07-22 Ice Age 5

07-22 Star Trek Beyond

07-29 Jason Bourne

08-05 Suicide Squad

08-12 Pete's Dragon

10-28 Inferno

11-04 Doctor Strange

11-18 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

12-16 Rogue One

In my case, only SS.

The movie that I look forward to the most (Nocturnal Animals with Jake Gyllenhaal) will not make that kinda money at all. It's not the kinda movie Jay reports about.

The 2016 films I'm personally looking forward to seeing are

04-15 Green Room

05-20 The Nice Guys

07-01 The BFG

07-22 Star Trek Beyond

07-29 Jason Bourne

08-05 Suicide Squad

09-16 The Book of Henry

12-16 Rogue One

12-21 Passengers

Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One will be our in-theaters musts.  Maybe Suicide Squad and Independence Day, depending on how reviews are looking.

We are interested in seeing Deadpool, BvS, Zootopia, X-Men, and Dory, but those will all be Redbox.

I want to see Star Trek, Jason Bourne, and Doctor Strange, but my partner has no interest so that will be all-me on Redbox.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There are plenty of 2016 movies that will make a shit ton of money ($500 Million + worldwide)

01-29 Kung Fu Panda 3

02-12 Deadpool

03-04 Zootopia

03-25 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
04-15 The Jungle Book
05-06 Captain America: Civil War
05-27 X-Men: Apocalypse

05-27 Alice Through The Looking Glass

06-17 Finding Dory

06-24 Independence Day; Resurgence

07-22 Ice Age 5

07-22 Star Trek Beyond

07-29 Jason Bourne

08-05 Suicide Squad

08-12 Pete's Dragon

10-28 Inferno

11-04 Doctor Strange

11-18 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

12-16 Rogue One

Staggering amount of sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes or franchise entries.

12 hours ago, amh1219 said:

Really? I think it's pretty much perfect. I mean, you could center the image on that white background (and I did), but trying to inject stars into everything isn't my idea of creative.

The "black and white" one looks different from what you'd expect and therefore stands out more.

In the end, they're both very well done and it comes down to personal preference.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Especially when you have to assume the ending of this film is dark and depressing, based on how IV begins.

According to the Episode 4 title crawl, the rebels have just "won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire".

So I don't see why Rogue One necessarily needs to have a downer ending.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:
Staggering amount of sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes or franchise entries.

And that is somehow a surprise to you?  Isn't it to be expected at this point?

16 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

Any news on whether Desplat has started scoring this?

He gave an interview beginning of April that he was going to start in "a few weeks" so probably, yes. Exciting!

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Though I suppose they have a cheat around the happy ending in that they can end with a shot of Vader and that wil be crowdpleasing in its own way.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

?

The rebel alliance just won their first victory agains the evil galactic empire and stole the plans of a mass destruction space station.

What is so grim about it?

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He gave an interview beginning of April that he was going to start in "a few weeks" so probably, yes. Exciting!

Unless disney's execs now think Zimmer is the only way to make the film look cool....

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Unless disney's execs now think Zimmer is the only way to make the film look cool....

Don't even joke about things like that!

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

When will Sam Mendes make a Star Wars movie? At least it would have a chance of making me happy. 

With a quirky Thomas Newman score 

Making Star Wars has been posting some details on the reshoots:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/disney-execs-unhappy-with-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-so-far/

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/reshoots-will-not-affect-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-release-date/

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/scott-z-burns-wrote-a-draft-of-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

Some of this stuff is really interesting. 

UPDATE:

SPOILER STATING THAT A CERTAIN CHARACTER WILL LIKELY APPEAR IN THE FILM INSIDE HIDDEN TEXT

Spoiler

In case you were wondering, Kroll is a Variety reporter, and Variety is a pretty trustworthy place for film news. 

Seems like maybe the film was super dark and the powers-that-be thought some classic Han Solo comedy might be needed. 

EDIT: Changed possible spoilers into hidden text. Not huge spoilers, but after posting I realized I'd better be cautious!