Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Despite the dialogue, I liked the trailer, but the music transported me immediately out of the Star Wars universe, right into the world of generic action films that I'm never interested on seeing.

Each trailer makes me realise more and mroe that lovely visuals are not enough to make a Star Wars movie.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I think you're reading too much into it. "Original Score" and "Original Music" is basically the same thing, and are often used interchangeably on posters and trailers.

For what is worth, all the SW stuff where someone else wrote original music using also JW themes (Clone Wars, Rebels, Freemaker Adventures, etc.) usually reads:

Music by (composer name)

Original Star Wars Themes and Score by John Williams

11 minutes ago, toothless said:

I already decided I would see this just for fun (there are movies I don't expect anything from) so even if it is "just ok" it could be fun.

Oh, I'll make one of my rare trips the theatre and see it. It has Star Wars on it, so of course I'll see it. They've got me that way. Same with Indy 5.

Star Trek and Bond used to have me also, but as I said in another thread I waited for the BD's on the most recent movies of each. But I can't imagine ever giving up the cinema experience for Star Wars. Though given that this experience for me is so tied to William's score and the opening crawl, should be interesting.

That trailer is seriously missing JW though. I really don't think there's any franchise out there that's as defined, and dependent on the score as Star Wars, and I have little doubt the original film would not have gone far without Williams.

I liked the trailer just a whole ton - best of the three trailers, IMO.  Sat in my car this morning and watched it 3x. 

The dialogue didn't seem out of place - Star Wars was never exactly a paragon for smartly written dialogue.  The delivery - hard to tell since we're only getting snippets edited to fit trailer timing.  Most of it seemed fine to me.  Some of it seemed a little stilted (the guy picking the callsign, for instance) - but that may be remedied in the unedited film.

Trailers like this next to trailers for TFA demonstrate how absolutely stagnant the Star Wars universe is. Two movies separated by 40 years of storytime look interchangeable. Still looks fun. 

I wasn't excited by the other trailer, but this one. WOW! The visuals look stunning. The film looks like it'll be more enjoyable for me than TFA as well.

Now I understand where Jones' character fits in. Very interesting. 

Looks like plenty of Ground and space battles in wonderful locations and sets, and just enough Vader too. Mesa excited nowsa.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Still underwhelming visually, which is surprising after Edwards impressed on that front with Godzilla. But the dialogue and characters look riveting.

And the sky is green and the grass is blue.

They arent.

Apart from the palm trees I havent seen anything that we've not seen before in Star Wars. And palm trees arent that original. Star Wars used to be about seeing sights unseen. TFA didnt have that, this probably doesnt either.

Really liked the trailer. Great visuals, and the action scenes look cool. The characters and cast seems pretty fun too, though, my, oh my, are most of the lines and their delivery quite bad! Hopefully, they'll choose better takes in the final film.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

Well, I would've loved a score by JW on this :(

Would've loved a score by Desplat on this. :(

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Apart from the palm trees I havent seen anything that we've not seen before in Star Wars. And palm trees arent that original. Star Wars used to be about seeing sights unseen. TFA didnt have that, this probably doesnt either.

Still, the visuals here look more interesting than the TFA ones. There's nothing that looks as dull as Maz's planet, for example.

The locales of Star Wars have never really been "sights unseen" for me.

Tatooine - desert dunes and canyons

Yavin - rainforests/trees

Hoth - snow

Dagobah - swamp

Bespin - cloudy sky

Endor - redwood forest

With the exception of Dagobah, which was built on a soundstage and exaggerated a bit because of that, the planets have always looked like earth locales.  The architecture has always been what was non-Earthly (Luke's homestead, Mos Eisley, Rebel bases, Cloud City, etc etc) as well as the creatures.

The prequels carried on this tradition as well.  Naboo was marshland and woods.  Coruscant was a big city.  Kamino was an ocean, and Geonosis was a rocky desert.  Only in Revenge of the Sith did we see truly "alien" environments (the bright fungus planet seen briefly in Order 66, Mustafar/lava planet, maybe the planet that Obi-Wan kills Grievous on).

Jakku, Maz Kanata's planet, and Starkiller Base (Ilum?) all fall in line with 5/6 Star Wars movies.  The planets we've seen from Rogue One thus far continue that trend.

Well Captain Obvious, thank you, but what are you requesting? It's far easier and cheaper to film practically at conventional Earth locations using minimal green screen than it is to create completely CGI environments that limit practical effects. On Earth, our availability of natural looking alien environments is limited, but if you want that really alien looking look, there is no shortage of crummy looking Star Trek TOS and early TNG soundstage episodes, plus Dagobah and Hook. 

The alien looking environments in Episode III do nothing to save the movie or story, they just look neat. 

13 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Well Captain Obvious, thank you, but what are you requesting? It's far easier and cheaper to film practically at conventional Earth locations using minimal green screen than it is to create completely CGI environments that limit practical effects. On Earth, our availability of natural looking alien environments is limited, but if you want that really alien looking look, there is no shortage of crummy looking Star Trek TOS and early TNG soundstage episodes, plus Dagobah and Hook. 

The alien looking environments in Episode III do nothing to save the movie or story, they just look neat. 

Wait, are you talking to me?  I have no problem with earthly environments.  I was responding to Steef

18 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I thought the reactions of everyone when she says that a "rebellion is built on hope" were pretty funny. They get all wide-eyed, as if this is a huge revelation.

I thought the same thing...clearly a reference to "A New Hope," but the only thing more awkward than the delivery were the reactions. "Oh, the Rebellion's built on hope do you say! Good enough for me. Let's follow this teenager we just met into battle!"

And that blind Samurai guy who is presumably supposed to be cool just seems goofy.

Well at least it makes sense now why the Death Star had a self-destruct button... it was deliberately put in by the dad character.

I can't wait 'till Rogue Four or Five when they explain why Starkiller Base or whatever it was called had an even bigger hole that was even more accessible to the Rebels.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I thought the same thing...clearly a reference to "A New Hope," but the only thing more awkward than the delivery were the reactions. "Oh, the Rebellion's built on hope do you say! Good enough for me. Let's follow this teenager we just met into battle!"

And that blind Samurai guy who is presumably supposed to be cool just seems goofy.

All of the characters seem goofy -- Most of them look like they'd fit right in with the oddly diverse set of sidekicks in the first Captain America movie. It's still easily the most exciting trailer to come out for this movie IMO. Like TFA, I only expect it to be great dumb fun. Definitely seeing this opening weekend if I get the chance.

I hope they don't use someone with hidden force powers or a jedi otherwise that would interfere with Obi Wan's interance in a new hope where the jedi were mythical and practically mostly forgotten.

One of the characters already mentioned the Force in a previous trailer I think. The notion that the Jedi were these mythical warriors from a distant past has pretty much been jettisoned since the prequels. And sadly so.  

It's not a plot hole, really.

Luke was probably more ignorant about The Force, the Jedi etc then most. Being from a backwater planet. And certainly his uncle Owen would not have been eager to tell him anything about it.

Men of the world (galaxy) like Han Solo already knew a lot more. In essence this is mirrored in TFA with Rey, who also knows very little about these things.

#StarWarsRingTheory

The rebellion, is built on hope. And that is what The Force represents.

Nowhere in the Star Wars saga is it stated that the Jedi were the only one who believed in The Force. Just like it's not just priests and monks who believe in God.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, great visuals, awful dialogue. And the delivery reminds me more of the prequels than TFA.

Is there anyone who thinks this is going to be anything more than just OK?

Well, we shouldn't read too much into the dialogue. Trailers of course choose the most inspirational (read: cheesy or corny) lines, and they are often taken wildly out of film context and juxtaposed with unrelated sentences.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, great visuals, awful dialogue. And the delivery reminds me more of the prequels than TFA.

Is there anyone who thinks this is going to be anything more than just OK?

I tend to be an optimist and not too harsh a critic, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it immensely.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

And a real space battle with Star Destroyers and everything! Something sorely missing in TFA. Cannot wait!

Yes, that was a nice surprise, I had no idea we were getting that.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The film looks like it'll be more enjoyable for me than TFA as well.

Well of course, it will have Giacchino score! ;)

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

I thought the reactions of everyone when she says that a "rebellion is built on hope" were pretty funny. They get all wide-eyed, as if this is a huge revelation.

Can't remember the exact moment but the reaction shot is probably edited in from another part of the scene, if you think it's weird.

Hmmm...you have gained a fairly impressive post count in a very short while. And you have age in your favour.

I long thought Bloodboal would be my successor. But after he went AWOL for months, I'm no longer sure.

Rest assure I will be following your career here with great interest, Will.

45 minutes ago, karelm said:

I hope they don't use someone with hidden force powers or a jedi otherwise that would interfere with Obi Wan's interance in a new hope where the jedi were mythical and practically mostly forgotten.

Gareth Edwards has said there are no Jedi. But the Force will have a presence, since Jedha, the desert planet, is important in Jedi lore, and Chirrut, the blind warrior, is a studier of the Force, although I'm not sure if he has any powers.

But GE has said this movie is about what happens to regular people, not Force wielding ones.

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Chirrut, the blind warrior, is a studier of the Force, although I'm not sure if he has any powers.

They should have used Maz for that instead of creating a new character. That would have been a way to connect the whole thing, man!

11 minutes ago, Will said:

Gareth Edwards has said there are no Jedi. But the Force will have a presence, since Jedha, the desert planet, is important in Jedi lore, and Chirrut, the blind warrior, is a studier of the Force, although I'm not sure if he has any powers.

There will be a line in there about the Force being his eyes and that your eyes can deceive you. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It never stood up to close scrutiny anyway.

Also, the rebellion used the phrase "May the Force be with you" in Star Wars already.

But that just meant "good luck" or "godspeed" without necessarily a mystical overtone.  I hope they address how Obi Wan forgot he already knew C3PO and R2D2.  Something like being a new hermit resident of Tatooine, he didn't adjust well to a rural wasteland.   In an ill advised moment, he went to greet his Sand People neighbors who subsequently hit him on the head resulting in selective amnesia.