Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Yeah, but that keeps TFA in the spirit of the defunct EU, where the surviving Empire and Remnant continued to construct ridiculously large starships and superweapons. They never ever learn. 

When it comes to Star Wars super weapons, nothing beats the Darksaber.

In HILARITY! The good guys didn't even need to blow it up.
It did that on its own the first time it was being fired, due to "cheap construction".
Now that would be one hell of a nice twist for a future film! :lol:

@Jay

Yes, the whole Starkiller Base thing wasn't too imaginative. Although it helps to remember that that's really ultimately just a smaller plot vehicle to help move the overarching story along. That bigger story needed some one-film minor conflict so the Starkiller is, unfortunately, what they came up with.

I absolutely loved TFA but it was rather unimaginative in many places (meaning the tech was often more or less the same, we seem to have ended up with basically Empire vs. Rebellion again, etc.) It does sound like VIII will be a little bolder, though, which should be interesting.

There was actually some really cool concept art for TFA of a sprawling, canopy filled Exotic City. This became Maz's castle, making it not too different from the original cantina, but it looks like perhaps VIII will have a location taking some inspiration from the concept (although with perhaps less exotic feel unfortunately). 

I love Force Awakens despite some of its (minor, imo) narrative drawbacks.  I think we all hope TFA was just the throat clearing before the real singing starts with this franchise.  It laid a great foundation with the new characters.

Surprised nobody has moaned like a cretin about the (palm)trees in the poster yet. Isn't that a thing here?

Lonnegan - reminded greatly of Paracel Storm, a classic Battlefield 3 multiplayer map.

31 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Surprised nobody has moaned like a cretin about the (palm)trees in the poster yet. Isn't that a thing here?

Nope, no complaints from my side. Looks cool, actually.

35 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Only one person moans about that, to my knowledge...

Personally, I dig 'em.

Kathleen Kennedy and Gareth Edwards address the opening crawl question

KENNEDY: You know, we're in the midst of talking about it, but I don't think these films will have an opening crawl. I think that's what we kind of telegraphed at the beginning of the event today.

EDWARDS: I think basically there's a lot of things that I probably can't talk about, is probably the safest way to answer that. The idea is this film is supposed to be different than the saga films...the whole crawl of it all -- it's funny people are fascinated on that. This film is born out of a crawl. The thing that inspired this movie was a crawl and what was written in that. There's this feeling that if we did a crawl, then it'll create another movie. And so the honest answer is you'll have to wait and see.

So a resounding "Idk probably not?"

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Kathleen Kennedy and Gareth Edwards address the opening crawl question

KENNEDY: You know, we're in the midst of talking about it, but I don't think these films will have an opening crawl. I think that's what we kind of telegraphed at the beginning of the event today.

I was expecting that.

No opening crawl, no Star Wars Theme. 

These spinoff movies have to be visually different from the Episodes, and from the very begining of the movies.

On 7/15/2016 at 7:28 PM, Disco Stu said:

Yeah but the trees just didn't feel like trees in the prequels.

The ones on Naboo certainly did, which featured heavily in Eps I and II. Episode III was the one with the stupid artificial CGI planets to kill Jedi on and Kashyyk, which felt like a sterilized Endor (obviously) turned down to -11.

TIE Striker looks fairly straightforward. AT-ACT is a bit weird; I suppose they'll have a specific reason to exist in the movie though.

Krennik's Imperial Shuttle looks SUPER STRANGE though! With this one and Kylo Ren's shuttle,

it seems like the filmmakers are really intent on taking the "Lambda class shuttle" waaay over the top.

Having all of the designs (that TIE, the AT-ACT, the shoretrooper, Krennic's private stormtrooper guards, etc) be so similar but slightly different than previous designs, to me, has a way of keeping the universe quite small while also technically expanding it.  So it's kind of a shrug for me at this point.

Kind of a kneejerk reaction, I guess.

FYI when I clicked to play the video a clearly malicious message appeared telling me my phone was infected. I closed my browser without clicking the link it told me to click, but of course there's still a chance my phone is now infected.

Be aware that this could happen to you. 

This is supposed to take place immediately before Star Wars, so it wouldn't make any sense to have a much younger Han Solo gadding about in Rebellion/Death Star business.  I'm really glad that rumor turned out to be garbage.

My first thought was that Hayden in the suit would be a nice nod to saga fans for him to be in there, but then I remembered that they had him in weird stilt boots to match him up to Vader size.  Might as well be somebody who can match the physicality without augmentation.  They did a good job of recasting Chewbacca for the non-Mayhew stuff in The Force Awakens - they'll find somebody who can do this well too.

10 hours ago, mstrox said:

They did a good job of recasting Chewbacca for the non-Mayhew stuff in The Force Awakens - they'll find somebody who can do this well too.

Yeah the Finnish basketball player really was a very convincing Chewbacca in TFA.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Yes, he was more convincing as Chewbacca than as a basketball player.

I think he'll have a great career in playing Chewbacca. He should quit basketball. Hollywood stardom is where the big bucks lie.

Since the director only is filming a script it may very well be that the author(s) just address their own weaknesses here. Still, nothing unusual going on here - not compared to the locked horns you had on certain Weinstein movies.

The odd thing is that I don't think Tony Gilroy has been involved with the film at all until earlier this year, after they finished filming. I could be wrong about that, but this sounds like he's been up to more than a screenplay polish and some second unit assistance. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around until December.

You are not supposed to know about script doctors. Look at the (later revealed) credits of some famous ones (Tom Mankiewicz or Tom Bill Goldman, for example) and you would be surprised what movies they worked on without anyone knowing.

Well, right. Looking at it again I imagine this is all most likely that they've been looking to him during the reshoots and now editing as they deal with his new material and get his POV, and then he's gone. But the idea of "taking the lead" during post production almost implies that he'd also be going around to visual effects, sound, scoring sessions....that choice of phrase threw me off, if that were true then this would be more out of the ordinary.

In all probability, since he's a friend of Edwards, he took some reigns off him and gave input freely. It probably is because Hollywood nowadays has technical proficient director's up to its ass but hardly any great screenwriters (and i mean not any screenwriter but someone who can bring off this larger-than-life material). If you look at recent movies, be it Marvel, Star Trek or whatever, they all have bad scripts. There might be a good concept here and there but basically they're shallow with bad motivations and an overdose of action scenes that mean nothing. Kennedy ups the ante for 'SW' but in a climate where they have largely abandoned making good, convincing stories i guess they need all the help they can get.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Not really. Now calm yourself down again. Just breath. 

Btw Ben Mendelsohn is gonna be a beast in this.