Jerry Goldsmith's Night Crossing - New Complete Edition from Intrada

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
On 3.6.2018 at 6:56 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

They're spikes in regular intervals that show up clearly on the frequency spectrum. They were not on the previous CD release. Something must have happened to the audio files in the digital domain. I notified Intrada when I noticed, but even though they sent me a replacement copy just to be sure (which has exactly the same problems), they claimed everything is alright. I posted about it here back then, but except for a friend who analysed the audio files, nobody seemed to take notice. Sadly, I find the CD unlistenable with headphones.

Did you also notice the issue on the Deluxe Edition of The 'Burbs? The bass at the beginning of "Ask Him" has a little cutoff.

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Did you also notice the issue on the Deluxe Edition of The 'Burbs? The bass at the beginning of "Ask Him" has a little cutoff.

Haven't listened to that one in ages, but I don't recall hearing anything wrong with it.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Haven't listened to that one in ages, but I don't recall hearing anything wrong with it.

Give "Ask Him" a listen. If you noticee the Night Crossing sound issues, you will notice that one for sure, unless it's only on my copy.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Give "Ask Him" a listen. If you noticee the Night Crossing sound issues, you will notice that one for sure, unless it's only on my copy.

It seems to start abruptly, if that's what you mean?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes. Luckily, it's just one moment. I wouldn't mind a couple of clicks on Night Crossing, it's the constancy of them that drives me nuts.

Do you think that it is an issue with the recording or with the master? (referring to The Burbs, Night Crossing is a recording issue)

I know too little about how this stuff is done in practice, and in the analogue world, to have a serious opinion. I guess it could have been as simple as a misplaced marker on the master for the digital expansion.

• 2 years later...
39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sorry to bump. Is the Intrada release allow us to reproduce the OST (without edits I mean)?

There is no OST, it never was released in 1982. Intrada issued several Limited Editions, the first one from 1987 ran 48 minutes and later they released further ones with more music added.

Fun fact: Doug Fake basically forced Goldsmith to let him put the main title on the first release. 

Here's a description:

T1/N1 - Main Title (Part 1) (1:16)
T2/N2/S1 - Main Title (Part 2) (1:55)
T3/N3 - The Market (1:05)
T20 - Steel Guitar (:52)
T4/N4/S2 - All In Vain (3:24)
T5/N5/S3 - The Picnic (4:04)
T6/N6/S4 - Plans (5:08)
T7/N7 - First Test (:43)
T8/N8 - Too Much Work (1:33)
T9/N9/S5 - Success (3:44)
T10/N10/S6 - First Flight (Original) (9:39)
T11/N11 - The Car (2:19)
T12/N12/S7 - The Patches (2:51)
T13/N13 - Short Of Time (2:44)
T14/N14/S8 - Tomorrow We Go (1:05)
T15/N15 - The Chemist (1:32)
T16/N16/S9 - No Time To Wait (5:35)
T17/N17/S10 - Final Flight (6:15)
T18/N18/S11 - Into The West (Revised) (3:41)
T19/N19 - End Titles (1:14)

Bonus Tracks:
T21 - First Flight (Revised) (9:38)
T22 - Into The West (Original) (3:41)

S = Original Intrada Release (1987)
N = Intrada Release (1994)
T = Intrada Release (2014)

So as a newbie, the latest expansion is the one to look for?

It must be OOP, almost everything I want from Goldsmith is OOP...

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sorry to bump. Is the Intrada release allow us to reproduce the OST (without edits I mean)?

You could consider the 1987 version to be the OST and the 2014 version still divides the Main Title into two parts, so that you can arrange the earlier program without editing.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So as a newbie, the latest expansion is the one to look for?

It must be OOP, almost everything I want from Goldsmith is OOP...

I do prefer the sound of the 1994 expanded reissue. There's something strange in the 2014 edition to my ears. Just my 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why do you think we never gave up the £? ;)

If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere.

2 hours ago, EhTar said:

I do prefer the sound of the 1994 expanded reissue. There's something strange in the 2014 edition to my ears. Just my 2 cents.

The 2014 version has that horrible semi-rhythmic ticking artifact throughout which makes it impossible for me to listen to it on headphones. Supposedly it's a fault in the original recording and also on the earlier release, but if it is, at least it's so much less pronounced there that I've never noticed it. It's a pity, because this is easily a top tier Goldsmith score.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The 2014 version has that horrible semi-rhythmic ticking artifact throughout which makes it impossible for me to listen to it on headphones. Supposedly it's a fault in the original recording and also on the earlier release, but if it is, at least it's so much less pronounced there that I've never noticed it. It's a pity, because this is easily a top tier Goldsmith score.

Hide that post, so that people who don't know about this don't start to notice.

26 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Hide that post, so that people who don't know about this don't start to notice.

I'm seriously worrying about that, and I don't even point it out by myself anymore. But I can't just keep quiet when others talk about sound issues.

Also, I'm still hoping that it might be possible to fix it by digitally removing the clicks, ideally on the master. Perhaps there'll be another release someday that can remedy this. What worries me is that as far as I know, it's never been officially acknowledged that the issue exists in the first place.

In any case, having *some* release of this score is a must if you like Goldsmith, and the clicks aren't such a big issue if you listen via speakers (or perhaps even via bad earphones).

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm seriously worrying about that, and I don't even point it out by myself anymore. But I can't just keep quiet when others talk about sound issues.

Also, I'm still hoping that it might be possible to fix it by digitally removing the clicks, ideally on the master. Perhaps there'll be another release someday that can remedy this. What worries me is that as far as I know, it's never been officially acknowledged that the issue exists in the first place.

I'm normally concentrating on the sound issues that I'm sure of have something to do with the release and not with the sources.

It's like the breaking wire sound in Superman's Flying Sequence.

Now it's history.

BOING!!!

image.png

Margot Kidder is a bit more tanned than she was in my memory!

53 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's like the breaking wire sound in Superman's Flying Sequence.

Now it's history.

BOING!!!

image.png

Margot Kidder is a bit more tanned than she was in my memory!

You mean the slap bass?