Empire Of The Sun - La-La Land 2CD

Jay

rest will be more like 1941, The Fury, Home Alone 1&2, and now Empire of the Sun

Well the difference seems that Williams wasn't too involved in any of those except Empire of the Sun

Harry Potter has a ton of edits in the OST"s

You are a greater capacity on that matter. Apart from the train station cue i never noticed edits that mattered much when i got the recording sessions.

I would like:

Angela's Ashes complete (I think the album presentation is perfect, But I am interested in the complete, for learning how the album was put together.)

Memoirs of a Geisha complete.

The Lost World Complete (for the full Rescuing Sarah at least)

HP3.

I would like:

Angela's Ashes complete (I think the album presentation is perfect, But I am interested in the complete, for learning how the album was put together.)

Lots and lots of short cues.

It was great to read how supportive Spielberg, Williams, Marshal and Kennedy were of this project. And what would be a greater honor for a person writing for such a release than the endorsement and approval of both the director and most of all the composer. Nice of Williams to be so generous with his music and hopefully this trend will continue. As I said I can't wait to read Matessino's thoughts on this quite unusual yet extraordinary score. :)

I would like:

Lots and lots of short cues.

Indeed. Williams combined quite a few on the OST. But I would not say no to a complete release of one of my favourites scores. :)

A.I.

The Lost World

HP 3

Memoirs of a Geisha

Those would be on the top of my list besides the Prequels and comprehensive Indy complete score box.

Oh and by hook or by crook a truly complete release of Hook with all the missing film versions intact and Ultimate War in its ultimate form.

It's too bad we still need definitive releases of the Indy scores, this could have been settled a few years ago. There's a bunch of music still missing from Last Crusade

We have pretty much all of the essential stuff. I think the 2008 release of TOD is a dazzling presentation of the most unrelentingly bombastic and adventurous film scores I've ever heard. I'd pop this sucker in any day.

"most of the essential stuff" doesn't cut it for Indy

it's like if we still only had the 1994 Star Wars box set

And the damage was somewhat mitigated in that they added the 5th disk at the last minute, so at the time we considered ourselves lucky. I don't blame Bouzeraux, he probably got more music released than what Williams wanted. But I do blame him for the wrong takes on E.T. expansion

But as far as complete goes the new EotS release looks spot perfect and beyond. I never assumed there would be so much alternate material for this score. All I wanted was the complete score. I am glad they managed to hunt down the longer pre-recorded version of Suo Gân as well. :)

I knew we can have great writers, directors, composers, actors etc.

But "great critics"...?

Karol

Most certainly are not, but that also goes for directors, actors and composers.

Yes, but that's not my point, is it?

Karol

Karol

What is your point, then? There are movies that have actors, directors and composers attached to them that are vastly less entertaining than some of the criticisms and essays applied to them.

Also I want to give a shout out to our very own thx99 who made the great graphic that sits atop Mike's article. Great work thx!

:D My pleasure!!

I was actually wondering about that when I read the article. Nicely done thx! :thumbup:

Thanks! :)

Yea, I think this bodes really, really well for future specialty label expansions.

Hopefully the days of the ET, CE3K, Indy box and Hook type re-issues are behind us and the rest will be more like 1941, The Fury, Home Alone 1&2, and now Empire of the Sun

What's wrong with the Close Encounters cd? I don't know the story.

(you mean the Arista cd, right?)

Karol

What is your point, then? There are movies that have actors, directors and composers attached to them that are vastly less entertaining than some of the criticisms and essays applied to them.

I just don't see much value in professional film criticism, that's all. anyone with some knowledge and intelligence can offer me as interesting and insightful opinion on art as so-called "established" body. Especially these days where all the learning tools and, indeed, films are so widely available to anyone at any given moment. Seems a bit pointless some people are paid for that.

karol

The biggest flaw in the Indy box is Raiders. It just doesn't sound right to my ear and the cuts to the Basket Game and Desert Chase are unforgivable. Williams is sometimes incompetent at editorial decisions!

I just don't see much value in professional film criticism, that's all. anyone with some knowledge and intelligence can offer me as interesting and insightful opinion on art as so-called "established" body. Especially these days where all the learning tools and, indeed, films are so widely available to anyone at any given moment. Seems a bit pointless some people are paid for that.

karol

I think that's not really the case, people are paid for contributing to publications that pay for said contributions, simple as that. The times when talented essayists like Kael, James Agee et al really wrote entertaining and challenging stuff on movie culture are long gone, basically because most movies that reach the public via big magazines and newspapers are stupid juvenile stuff and most of the more esoteric stuff, be it essays on movie culture or criticism of a movie as such happen on free blogs, anyway.

I'll be honest. I've not really read anything from Kael that offered me any real insight. It's all honest and biting, but somewhat obvious.

But then, I haven't read a lot from her. So there's that...

Karol

More importantly, you read stuff from a somewhat jaded view of someone from the 2000's but that wasn't the case in 1965 when she really hit her stride.

But why have a critic of a critic he/she doesn't even know that well? That's just a whole different debate;

I was just saying I don't all that much value in criticism and all the deification of few figures in that field. Or journalists in general, when it comes to the latter. Seems unhealthy to me. That was my only point.

Karol

The biggest flaw in the Indy box is Raiders. It just doesn't sound right to my ear and the cuts to the Basket Game and Desert Chase are unforgivable. Williams is sometimes incompetent at editorial decisions!

The Basket Game is not cut on the Concord CD. Only The Desert Chase is.

The Basket Game is not cut on the Concord CD. Only The Desert Chase is.

Which is still a conundrum. Why on earth does JW prefer the clumsy edit in The Desert Chase?!!!

It's not a clumsy edit!

Well if you have heard the complete version why would you want to go back to the edited down one?

I never had a problem with the original album edit, but I was glad to hear the full version on the 1995 release -and it was obviously weird to go back to that edit for the 2008 set.

well, it's neither chronological nor complete, and doesn't feature the original LP program. But yea, it is probably the best of the "major label" expansions outside of Star Wars.

500.jpg

He was truly great.

And that's why he was so great. Ebert was a Rumplestiltskin who spun crap movies into absolute gold in his reviews. His books I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie and Your Movie Sucks made for some of the best and most entertaining reading about movies you could find.

And that's why he was so great. Ebert was a Rumplestiltskin who spun crap movies into absolute gold in his reviews. His books I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie and Your Movie Sucks made for some of the best and most entertaining reading about movies you could find.

To me, movies/films are interesting to watch, not to read about. If I fancy reading a film-related thing, it would be a behind-the-scenes type of thing.

Karol

But "great critics"...?

Yep. Andrew Sarris being another great film critic. For pop music, Lester Bangs is unparalleled.

Art needs truly challenging critics who run against the status quo, otherwise we risk being pulled in by the shills, hipsters and fanboy hype and marketing.

500.jpg

Ebert was a lovely guy, but a dull, uncritical writer.

well, it's neither chronological nor complete, and doesn't feature the original LP program. But yea, it is probably the best of the "major label" expansions outside of Star Wars.

I have no problem with it except the cardboard package

i remember buying that Close Encounters CD at a B&N for $20, lamenting the cost, then checking up on Amazon to see it was OOP and going for $70+

The holographic cover wasn't applied properly and had air bubbles underneath, but years of it being sandwiched between other CDs fixed it and now it looks pristine!

Well, that was quick!

The first batch of 2000 Empire cds are now gone! The cd is TEMPORARILY out of stock. If you placed an order you will be receiving your copy.

We expect more to come in by July 15, if not sooner. I will keep y'all posted.

Have a great weekend!

MV

Have to get my car inspected tomorrow. As long as the outcome is clear I plan on getting this ASAP. I was originally going to hold off until next pay (Thursday) but now I'm getting nervous about it.

I found this interesting:

The audience rating for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial was not accidentally overlooked. I look forward to addressing this at another time.

Surprised nobody else has brought this up. To me it seems to suggest that Matessino is working on a release for E.T.?

I found this interesting:

The audience rating for E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial was not accidentally overlooked. I look forward to addressing this at another time.

Surprised nobody else has brought this up. To me it seems to suggest that Matessino is working on a release for E.T.?

Or that he hopes to work on it eventually.

It's not a clumsy edit!

Well if you have heard the complete version why would you want to go back to the edited down one?

Because supposedly when you cut good bits out, it makes the music better.

I guess JW was dissatisfied by the DCC release with its complete version and when the time came for the Indy Box he was ready with the scissors. For whatever reason only the author of the music knows and fans can't quite fathom.

Excellent interview! Matessino has really done a thorough job with this project and it is obviously a labour of love to him. My anticipation to experience the album has just risen threefold! :)