Empire Of The Sun - La-La Land 2CD

Jay

Yes, but I linked you to a site where you can educate yourself on the great releases he has worked on. He hasn't really been attached to any of the bad ones.

Just like how the US anthem arrangement thread and the piano scherzo thread died down when we heard them. It's shit, it's all shit! Alex is the only one brave/smart enough to see it and point it out.

Hearing the complete score in chronological order gives me a greater appreciation for the music. It makes me wonder how much more I would like other scores if they were complete.

Its still hasn't become one of my absolute favorites, but I'm definately glad I have it.

Hearing the complete score in chronological order gives me a greater appreciation for the music. It makes me wonder how much more I would like other scores if they were complete.

I am just not hearing it. The old album includes all the musical elements, re-arranged maybe, but so what? The new album just has more of everything. The conceptual problems, imho, are still present and while it's very good music, as film score it actually helps to destroy the movie in key places with an all-too sleek-smooth 'epic' sound that bulldozes Spielberg's brilliantly unstable visual world.

I am just not hearing it. The old album includes all the musical elements, re-arranged maybe, but so what? The new album just has more of everything. The conceptual problems, imho, are still present and while it's very good music, as film score it actually helps to destroy the movie in key places with an all-too sleek-smooth 'epic' sound that bulldozes Spielberg's brilliantly unstable visual world.

That is your problem, too much baggage!

• 3 months later...

Thinking about listening to this again today, it's been a little while!

What are people from here's favorite new tracks?

Top 3 are:

Alone at Home

The Empty Swimming Pool

Bringing Them Back

and quite a few extras on disc 2, The Return to the City alternate especially.

Alone At Home and The Empty Swimming Pool really creep me out

Those were the two previously unreleased tracks that I remember wanting from the opening half of the film after watching the movie. Really ghostly and creepy stuff. Interestingly this type of writing pops up nigh 20 years later in A.I., Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

• 3 years later...

@Jay: My usual query. Other than holding onto my copy of the OST for JW's autograph, everything that is on it is on the LLL set? Ta! :)

Well, from a certain point of view...

The OST may contains some EDITS you will not find "as is" on the LLL set. But all the music is on it.

Expanded sets "add" things... they don't necessarily always "replace" things. Never get rid of your old OSTs... ;)

Eh, I guess, but with EOTS, other than Suo Gan being shortened, the only other tracks that are any different are tracks 9 and 12, and I think those are both really clunky cue combinations that don't really work; the cues are much stronger in their own tracks in in t heir proper place.  I can't see any reason to ever listen to the OST again

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't see any reason to ever listen to the OST again

You are always so definitive.  This forums needs balance, that's why I'm back I guess! :sarcasm:

Some OSTs are great!  I recently listened to the Superman OST, Accidental Tourist OST, Wrath of Khan OST, Force Awakens  OST, War Horse  OST, Lincoln OST.  All great!

But I dunno when I'll want to lsiten to the EOTS OST, or say the Temple of Doom OST again any time soon.  The expanded releases are much more fulfilling.

Why in the world would you want to get rid of the OS albums, if the expanded albums come out? I don't understand these people.... OS soundtracks are always special, if not perfect.