William Friedkin's Favorite Films

Mr. Brown

Killer Joe changed McConaughey's career, and I liked it, but during the film I asked myself if I want to see this film again and the answer was no.

Of course, I love his statement about Alien and Blade Runner, and his closing statement about the state of cinema today (how it's all very technical impressive but that it lacks truth).

Alex

Like Friedkin said, there's very little reality in Hollywood today. It's pure escapism without any deeper value.

Coming from a director who's made nothing but crap over the last three decades!

I'm not into Tangerine Dream, I'm afraid. If I was, I would've own the US cut of Legend!

Yikes!

They replaced Jerry's score with THAT?!!! Crazy people!

The first 3 seconds, when it's still ethereal, are fine though. But when the harp-ish sequence and pan flute solo make their entry it quickly becomes horrifying.

Jerry's score was made in the '80s too.

And while it had some silly synth effects too it makes it up for them in spades!

Oh and Friedkin's list is quite full of aknowledged classics. No big surprises there.

I agree with Incanus. Practically every single film Friedkin mentioned is a celebrated classic -- not terribly original, in other words.

I also think his lack of exposure to current films became painfully apparent towards the end with his rant against 'current cinema'. Clearly, he was just talking about a particular type of mainstream Hollywood film and obviously hasn't bothered to check out films from other countries or more 'arty' fare. I think he would have enjoyed something like LA GRANDE BELEZZA, for example, which owes more than a little to Fellini and 8 1/2 which he mentions in the interview. In his defense, this is a type of "criticism" I see all over the place, including film music forums like this. So he's not alone.

But other than that, great to hear him talk about films in general. I am a big fan of Friedkin's 70s films.

I agree with Incanus. Practically every single film Friedkin mentioned is a celebrated classic -- not terribly original, in other words.

True. You cant use those films and say. These days films are terrible because they arent up to that level.

Most films made in the same years as the one Friedkin lists arent up to that level.

Is it not more accurate to judge a decade by the number of strong, yet mediocre film produced rather then the half dozen or so real masterpieces?

Friedkin is basically repeating what many others have said before him. The movies and filmmakers that inspire him all seem to come from a period from before Star Wars. That's why he said Alien and Blade Runner are probably the last great movies ever made. He does like current filmmakers like Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coens though. And I understand why for they continue to make movies in the spirit of the last golden age of Hollywood.

Alex

The movies and filmmakers that inspire him all seem to come from a period from before Star Wars.

Of course.

Considering Friedkin's age, that is completely logical.

But it does come of as "old man whining".

Let's face it. Friedkin had a few good films, but hasnt been relevant or especially successful as a film maker for over 30 years.

Well, if Luke Skywalker had dismissed Ben as an old whiner, they still would be living in the dark times, Steef.

Alex

Let's face it. Friedkin had a few good films, but hasnt been relevant or especially successful as a film maker for over 30 years.

Maybe he's been struggling with finding a place in the new world. Hollywood and the audience they created doesn't want him anymore.

Wrong metaphor. I'm not really a Star Wars fan.

Use one with Picard in it...

I'm not familiar enough with that franchise.

Which is why he bitches and moans about it so much.

Again, read my Luke/Ben metaphor.

Wrong metaphor. I'm not really a Star Wars fan.

It is the franchise of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know Lucas hasn't driven your enthusiasm from you fully. That is why you couldn't vaporise me. That is why will not bring me to your captain now.

Have you seen the new The Sorcerer Blu, Alexandre.

No, but I've always been more The Wages Of Fear type. Why?

Alex

WAGES OF FEAR is the better film, but SORCERER does look amazing on blu-ray.

Scheider was top-notch.

Scheider is an underrated actor. Magnificent charisma.

Sure is, which is a shame. One of my favorites. Up there with the Cliff Robertson school of actors.

Friedkin changed the Exorcist with his the Version You've Never Seen Before (which is a silly title anyway)

The first Blu of The French Connection had a very controversial color grading, which made it look like a modern film rather then a 70's one.

I've not seen The French Connection on Blu-ray yet, but yes, The Exorcist didn't need tinkering. It's one of the films that got hurt due to commerce.

I believe the Blu-ray in my country comprises both the original and DC versions. Don't feel the need to buy though, I've seen it now.