Stargate reboot coming

Jay

Eh, I dunno about that. Arnold's Stargate score is so iconic and was a huge best seller, not to mention it's theme was used for the TV show for a decade.

Blah I probably won't bother. I think the original movie (including the three TV series spin-offs) is fine as is. I'm sick of reboots these days...

Has a composer ever scored a reboot film where he had scored the original before?

Has a composer ever scored a reboot film where he had scored the original before?

Not unprecedented. Hans Zimmer scored the Nolan Batman reboots, and will likely score Batman v Superman.

Emmerich and Devlin are obviously in a severe deadspot in their respective careers and obviously want to recapture the past successes they enjoyed in the 1990s.

But Stargate and Independence Day worked so well (as stupid as you might think they were, audiences gobbled it up) because the ingredients were just so and the times were right. And I also think they were just damn lucky.

The Centropolis team must prove itself yet again.

Are we sure this is a REBOOT? Nothing in that press statement says so directly.

I'm excited about this, and hope it's more in the existing fictional universe -- perhaps we can even hope for a return of Kurt Russell and James Spader?

Stargate reboot is happening and will be directed by Emmerich again

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118875

I wonder if Arnold will return too.

After "Godzilla", definitely not, which is a shame. He might use Arnold's themes, though.

I don't think the original Stargate is a particularly good movie, nor is it breezy like Independence Day, but the score is loads of fun. I love the Ra theme

Are we sure this is a REBOOT? Nothing in that press statement says so directly.

I'm excited about this, and hope it's more in the existing fictional universe -- perhaps we can even hope for a return of Kurt Russell and James Spader?

The word "reboot" is often misused, when "prequel" or "sequel" or "spin-off" would be more accurate. However, the article did say it was a "reimagining" of the subject, so it does sound like an official reboot. Unnecessary, I think (I'm getting tired of reboots too), but all the more puzzling when it's being done by the same director who did the original. Has that ever happened before? Who could picture Spielberg doing a "reboot" of Jaws or Close Encounters? Why would someone take an earlier vision of their own and recreate it—unless the original was sincerely awful, and they thought they could do better with a second chance?

And on that note:

STARGATE is a great film, and I like Emmerich's "filmatic project" as a director.

Yeah, it is. It's always been a guilty pleasure that I really don't feel all that guilty about. It's a great fun, sci-fi action romp. And it doesn't need to be remade.

A pair of ID4 sequels, however . . . yeah, I could get into that.

Well . . . maybe not "great" in the Spielbergian/Kubrickian/Hitchcockian (etc.) sense. It's just a great time at the movies, that's all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thoroughly enjoyed the direction taken by SG-1 and Atlantis, so this effort is just like an alternate universe set of stories. I don't mind the studios making big mindless popcorn franchises not built around 1980s toys. 

I was hugely excited at the prospect of new Stargate films, as I've been a lifelong fan of all things Stargate, and David Arnold's theme (then taken over by Joel Goldsmith) is my all-time favourite theme from anything, but now seeing how ID-Resurgence is unfolding and Arnold having been shoved aside for that, I am not positive at all about more Stargate films because it'll no doubt be a B-movie, CGI-fest with no Arnold score. And for me; no Arnold score = not Stargate.

I always liked the first Stargate movie.

Then after putting it off for many years, I watched SG-1 and Atlantis and massively enjoyed those too.

Have to admit I'll be curious to see what Emmerich actually had in mind for his intended sequels.

That being said, unless he actually gets his act together where the music is concerned, I may be forced to watch it without paying for it at a later date.

I am not willing to in any way support what seems to me like "destructive filmmaking".

Too bad too, because I like Stargate, Independence Day and even his Godzilla film!

Surprisingly enough, those three films happen to have incredible music.

Maybe I should watch The Patriot again. I vaguely recall the music to that one not being half-bad either. ;)

Filmmakers change.  There's hardly anyone that ends up making films 2 decades after coming onto the scene that are as good as the ones from 2 decades before.

6 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

That being said, unless he actually gets his act together where the music is concerned, I may be forced to watch it without paying for it at a later date.

I am not willing to in any way support what seems to me like "destructive filmmaking".

I think Roland Emmerich thinks Harald Kloser can walk on water.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Filmmakers change.  There's hardly anyone that ends up making films 2 decades after coming onto the scene that are as good as the ones from 2 decades before.

Are you saying filmmakers just get worse as the go? That would be a bit sad. Indeed I wouldn't expect them to remain the same, but change doesn't necessarily need to be bad, right? That being said, I can't quite think of too many examples to the contrary...

SG-1 succeeded because it was a new creative team and the show would re-invent itself every so often with new blood. But by the time SGU rolled around, it was time for it to die.

Likewise, IDR needed a new creative team to flourish. I don't know why Fox sat on its hands for so long and insisted Emmerich return. That kind of shit didn't stop Warner Bros from making Batman Forever.

17 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I think Roland Emmerich thinks Harald Kloser can walk on water.

Maybe he can? Doesn't equate to writing awesome music though! :lol:

• 1 year later...