DreamTheater

Lurker turned member

Well sort of, I registered many months ago but apart from a couple of posts in 2012 I've never really posted anything worthwile here. So I'm willing to give it another shot. I'm Gilles from Belgium, that little messed up country in between the Netherlands and France, known for chocolate, beer and fries but not much else.

Fan of the maestro? Check

Fan of sci-fi movies? Check

Fan of video games? Check

Fan of Dream Theater? Well yeah, duh...

Time will tell if I'll fit in here.

Cheers.

Fan of Dream Theater? Well yeah, duh...

Definitely. I enjoyed all of their albums to varrying degrees until Black Clouds & Silver Linings, but I thought they turned it around with A Dramatic Turn of Events (pun intended), which was a really solid album. However, their recent self-titled release was garbage. So I don't know where I stand with them anymore.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. I thought Black Clouds and Silver Linings was easily their best post-Scenes From A Memory album, and that both ADTOE and their newest album are total turds.

Wither and The Count of Tuscany are great songs, and The Shattered Fortress is a fitting end to the 12 Step Suite. I often listen to all parts of the 12 Step Suite as its own "album", and its freaking great.

Yikes. I do agree that The Count of Tuscany (the song) is pretty good. Probably the one of the best musically interesting opening/closing from them period. The rapping nonsense got annoying (a Portnoy influence I will not miss), and the spacy middle section with the volume pedal is not nearly as interesting as Petrucci seems to think, but overall a good song.

The album though doesn't come close to Six Degrees (at least the first disc, the concept album on disc 2 isn't entirely successful) or Train of Thought (great guttural, heavy stuff).

Octavarium is pretty enjoyable too, especially Panic Attack (Muse influence) and the title track.

Yea, if you distill Six Degrees down to a single album of the best stuff, that's easily better than BCASL. And I agree all the "rapping" in DT songs is always terrible. *shudder* I do enjoy Train of Thought a lot, but Octavarium and especially Systematic Chaos are way more bad than good

The big problem with DT is that after Scenes from a Memory they got into this "new album every 2 years, tour in between" rut that lead to more bad than good. If they had only released one album every 3-4 years after SFAM, with them actually taking real breaks from releasing new music every so often, those albums would probably all be mind blowing. And Portnoy would have probably never left the band. Oh well.

I'm surprised that you didn't like ADTOE. On The Backs Of Angels, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry and Breaking All Illusions are all great. Actually the only real bad song is Build Me Up, Break Me Down (the only one I skip).

Well to be fair I only listened to it one time. Was so instantly disappointed I never bothered to give it a second chance, and still haven't bothered to check out their most recent album (but have heard it's lead single on XM a few times)

Hey good to meet some fellow DT fans. I love almost all of their albums, some great songs on each one but Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos are my absolute favourites, no bad songs on those as far as I'm concerned. What Portnoy contributed to the band is immeasurable, but I won't dismiss Mangini altogether, I think the guy has great technique, apparent on their latest release which I also happen to think is a little bit awesome !!

Not a bad song on Systematic Chaos? For real?

I think it's easily their worst (pre-Portnoy departure) album (though, I've never listened to WDADU)

I'd rank their albums

Images and Words
Awake
Scenes from a Memory
Falling Into Infinity
Six Degrees
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
A Dramatic Turn of Events

Well I became a fan pretty late in their career, around the time Systematic Chaos was released. I had already heard SFAM and Octavarium before that and those became instant faves. The same with SC. It's an album I enjoy immensely from start to end. I just like their heavy sound a lot ! I never liked their very first, only heard it once. The earliest I started collecting is Images & Words, which is good but I don't like it nearly as much as their later work.

And you put ADTOE on last place? Well that can't be right either (near the top for me). Looks like we have rather extreme tastes in what makes a good DT album. :drool:

And Falling Into Infinity may be loathed by the majority of fans, but you can't deny its catchy-ness...

If you take the best songs from Falling Into Infinity, remove the bad ones and replace them with Raise The Knife and A Change of Seasons (my favorite DT song), you'd have an album as good as Images and Words and Awake.

Once again extremes. A Change of Seasons is my least liked epic song. I just cannot get into it, I like parts of it, but on the whole it's the least consistent of all the DT epics for these ears.

Raise the Knife on the other hand: the live rendition from Score is incredible !!!!

I think we will get along just fine Jay, let's just say the incredible variety in output from Dream Theater appeals to wide range of individuals. But that is true for most things.

For me, I can't think of a more perfect DT song than A Change of Seasons. For 24 straight minutes it's completely captivating and never boring. I could listen to it on repeat over and over again. I hate that one live album that breaks it up into individual tracks - it's not meant to be heard that way!

I'm with you on Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory. Unequivocally their best. Falling Into Infinity is mostly good to great, and a nice departure in style. Love COS as well.

I will also agree that since SFAM their song to song strength ratio is not as high, with some songs being laughable. Admittedly, I also mostly enjoyed Systematic Chaos.

If I had to rank them, I would go

Images and Words

Scenes from a Memory

Awake

Falling Into Infinity

Six Degrees

Train of Thought

A Dramatic Turn of Events

Octavarium

Systematic Chaos

Black Clouds

When Dream and Day Unite

Dream Theater

So the real question for DreamTheater and nightscape94 is - what are your thoughts on Porcupine Tree?

Personally, I think they are amazing and I might like they more than Dream Theater - I'm only familiar with their final 4 albums! I've kinda been delaying delving into their earlier stuff until I'm completely worn out those 4 records (also, none of their earlier stuff is on Spotify :P )

So the real question for DreamTheater and nightscape94 is - what are your thoughts on Porcupine Tree?

Personally, I think they are amazing and I might like they more than Dream Theater - I'm only familiar with their final 4 albums! I've kinda been delaying delving into their earlier stuff until I'm completely worn out those 4 records (also, none of their earlier stuff is on Spotify :P )

Didn't know these guys at all, but this sounds pretty good. A bit more mellow than DT, but I dig the sound.

Also, Dark Matter, cool...

They definitely have their more "metal" moments. Check out Fear of a Blank Planet, specifically 'Anesthetize' and the title track.

Listen to the Deadwing album as well.

I'm curious what Jay thought of 'Dark Matter'. If you like Pink Floyd, they interpret that sound qutie a bit on 'The Sky Moves Sideways'. Let me know what you think!

nightscape94 - hanks for that! I listened to Dark Matter, and it was really cool. Definitely feeling the Pink Floyd vibe, in fact I'd say it's kinda halfway between Pink Floyd and the In Absentia/Deadwing era Porc Tree I like most. I will definitely be picking up their older albums soon!

DreamTheater - Porcupine Tree is awesome, glad you like Blackest Eyes. Here's 2 more for you to chew on :)

Another Belgian?

That's like 3 or 4, right?

Well, welcome here. Just be sure to know your place!

Don't worry, Dream.

By the smell of him, I'd say it was the booze talking.

Anyway, welcome, dude.

How dare you! I barely drink!