Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Reportedly, the movie was pushed back from May to December because of script rewrites:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/constantines-arrow-appearance-was-probably-his-last-eve-1753936527

I've read the article, and that line of reasoning doesn't make sense. Plenty of movies have shot a month later than scheduled and were able to make their release dates. (Now if production was delayed several months, then it'd be logical.) The online blog that Jeff Sneider works for says that the move was purely because TFA broke the mold for a December release and it made more strategic sense. Even rival trade The Hollywood Reporter corroborates this

I'm positive that Episode VIII will be completed by summer 2017, and there won't be a conflict with Williams scoring both this and Ready Player One.

Well TFA shot from May until November but production was held up for a month by Harrison's injury. If they start shooting in February I'd hope Williams is seeing a first cut around Q4 this year.

It really comes down to whether Williams wants to do both. I'm sure he can schedule two scores across 15 months (August '16 to November '17), but even the best laid plans can go awry... just look at Bridge of Spies.

Yeah, I think it was essentially both. He had only a brief window in which he would have written Bridge of Spies and that's what they were shooting for, then he had his surgery and after the 6 weeks of rest or whatever it was, it was too late.

My understanding was he'd set aside 4-6 weeks to write Bridge of Spies around a break in TFA writing (he was waiting for another reel of edited footage from JJ).

Unfortunately it coincided with his health problems, the pacemaker and a month of bed rest.

I don't think Spielberg ever envisaged much music for Spies (a bit like Lincoln) so they both thought it was achievable between breaks in TFA writing.

There really would have been no point in introducing yet another protagonist.  You have your core three.  Focus on them, especially Rey.  Her training, progression, and overall story is the anchor the entire new trilogy.  Don't get sidetracked with unimportant or superfluous additions unless they directly affect the arc of the story.

Sounds like they're introducing a new female protagonist to pair with Finn because Rey will be off with Luke for most of the movie.  Makes sense.

Maybe Poe and Finn will both like her and it will be like Han and Luke both liking Leia in SW.

Finn->new female lead

Poe->rey.

Could Finn's new interest be Lando Calrissian's Daughter?... Yeah she doesnt have to be black but what.... Anyway using Lupita for Maz is so weird. She could play this new female lead too, as a human.

48 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Why is it weird to use an actress for her voice?

Yeah, there's a whole industry devoted to voice over work. It's not just for cartoons and doubling famous actors in ADR sessions, you have v.o. artists like Tara Strong, Cree Summer and James Arnold Taylor who make a great living just on their vocal range.

Mark Hamill does mainly voice-over work now. And he's good at it.

John williams, to the best of my knowledge, still hasn't been confirmed for episode 8. This really concerns me. I would have thought if it were going to happen it would be announced by now. I'm getting worried.

Music would be the last thing on Johnson's mind right now, if they're re-writing the script only a month out from production.

Williams is also busy with The BFG, so he could've easily just said, "ask me when I'm done with that and I'll see how I feel." 

It's nice to know they've pre-empted an obvious script problem though, if they really were marginalizing Rey/Poe/Finn in favour of new characters. I understand the thought process though, if Rey spends the first act with Luke on Acht-Too.

But audiences clearly want to explore the new characters now Han is out of the picture so it's time to give these guys the limelight!

I can picture a Lando-esque main character being introduced in the second act and following through into the third film, however.

Maybe they added some great flash-back scenes for the TRAITOR shouting stormtrooper since he's so popular now. 

Hopefully they still type it in from the beginning. Obviously it depends on how the re-write is, but if you just edit the script here and there it's not a re-write.

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

A chance to give her something to do and actually be useful in the next film!

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

She lowered the shield!

Quite right but I was thinking more of something EVIL! You know, bad guy stuff.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well she was rude to Finn!

I need more proof of her evil! She should steal candy from toddlers, abuse animals, steal money from the tip jar or perhaps cold bloodedly kill a surrendered enemy. You know Jason Isaacs style sneering evil.

Phasma starts Episode 8 as a broken alcoholic, distraught by her cowardice on Starkiller base and being responsible for thousands of deaths.

She drinks with a straw though. That helmet doesn't come off.

Maybe she'll be Ahabing it like Vader in Empire - relentlessly looking for Finn, maybe even discharged from the First Order for her actions - while Kylo and Hux are off elsewhere doing something nefarious for Snoke.

I'm talking about after the film came out; There was a bunch of discussion about how accurate those old spoilers were (basically they were completely right)

I didnt know it leaked. All I heard was that Luke's hand and lightsaber were floating in space. I decided then that the movie would suck and didn't pay any attention to it until the first teaser trailer. 

Leaks for this are possible, although I hope they don't come to pass. I have a very close friend who works on the LEGO products for Episode VIII and he has read a plot outline for episode VIII

Does this friend know anything about what the delete ground assault scene from Episode 7 would have been like?